Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TootsieToots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
Hi -- first time listener, first time poster.

So I just bought a PowerBook (12") and the next day my printer craps out. Was wondering if anyone here can suggest a reliable -- but above all else CHEAP (only going as high as $150 here) -- color printer. I've had luck with HP's, but swore to myself I'd never buy another Cannon again. Also, I'd like to be able to use this on both my PowerBook and my iMac.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I personally like Canon Printers. However, above all else, head on over to DealInk.com and find out if you can get cartridges inexpensively. My last Canon printer had cartridges for $2 *each*. I could get a dozen cartridges for the price of one in a store.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Hp has a really cool one that has WIFI built in. You could use it while plugged in to the iMac and then use the WIFI with the Powerbook (assuming you have a newer Powerbook with built in WIFI). The only downer is I think it is kind of pricey (I want to say $250). Sorry i can't think of the model number adn i don't have time to look it up right now.

If you are looking for a great photo printer, then check out the Epson R200. Only $100, incredible photo quality, individual color cartridges, and it can print on CD's. Very cool. The R300 is only $180 and adds direct printing from your media card. If both computers have WIFI you can share it through the iMac.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
kgarner said:
Hp has a really cool one that has WIFI built in. You could use it while plugged in to the iMac and then use the WIFI with the Powerbook (assuming you have a newer Powerbook with built in WIFI). The only downer is I think it is kind of pricey (I want to say $250). Sorry i can't think of the model number adn i don't have time to look it up right now.

If you are looking for a great photo printer, then check out the Epson R200. Only $100, incredible photo quality, individual color cartridges, and it can print on CD's. Very cool. The R300 is only $180 and adds direct printing from your media card. If both computers have WIFI you can share it through the iMac.

I don't know if you read my post but i talked about the printer you are talking about and its not $250.

Printer Link

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
robotrenegade said:
I don't know if you read my post but i talked about the printer you are talking about and its not $250.

Printer Link
Okay, cool. I read the first part but didn't look at the last sentence. That will teach me to skim so carelessly. As for the price, I just couldn't remember what it was. I just recently quit working at CompUSA so i tried to get the prices memorized, but printers never seemed to stick.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
kgarner said:
Okay, cool. I read the first part but didn't look at the last sentence. That will teach me to skim so carelessly. As for the price, I just couldn't remember what it was. I just recently quit working at CompUSA so i tried to get the prices memorized, but printers never seemed to stick.

lol this time you missed the link i left last time to the real item. Its 149.00

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i'd recommend the HP photosmart 7660, it's 130 has memory card slots does a great job at printing photos and is really quick at printing text close to 20 pages a minute

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
i will also recommend the wireless hp it is great and prints great photos the model number is 5850 for 149 USD

TootsieToots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
ToddW said:
i will also recommend the wireless hp it is great and prints great photos the model number is 5850 for 149 USD

i second to that. i have had 9 months of great experience with that 5850 model. very good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.