Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dloreski

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Hi everyone.
I'm thinking about trying a Mac.
I leave my desktop PC on all day almost every day.
If I would have a MBP hooked up to a monitor and use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it, would there be anything that I need to worry about?

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I use my MacBook in clamshell as my main computer, whether i'm on the go or at home.

no overheating problems or anything. people who have them are people who run 1080p flash videos while on a bed or something with the vents covered.

you will be more than fine w/anything above 1.66GHz and with 2GB of RAM

4GB is ideal for photoshop though

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Excercise the battery once a month if you will have your MBP hooked up to AC for the rest of time.

But then i'd question why you got a Macbook Pro in the first place.

Linky to battery care instructions.

Linky to automatically add iCal reminders for you to recalibrate your battery. (Do this after you get your mac).

mikeherdes

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
I have the same set-up as you are describing. I use a wireless Microsoft keyboard and an acer 1080p display. It works wonderfully. I would suggest looking into a mini-dvi male to hdmi or dvi male cable as the video adapter can sometimes come lose depending on the other cable you use.

I always have both screens running and I have never had a problem.

jawa12083

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Maye the OP got a MacBook pro, so he/she can take it when they travel. Or just doesn't need the huge screen sizes of the iMacs? And mac mini... Yeah...

Or they like using a computer on the bed...

mac88

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA.
I use mine in clamshell mode connected to a 24" ACD. I have had no problems whatsoever. Don't worry and enjoy your new purchase (when you buy it)!

hellric

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Belgium
I also use mine in clamshell mode with Apple USB keyboard and MX revolution mouse, and it's just great on a 24" 1080p monitor.
I Windows mode, cannot use it in clamshell mode because of overheating though...

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
I also use mine in clamshell mode with Apple USB keyboard and MX revolution mouse, and it's just great on a 24" 1080p monitor.
I Windows mode, cannot use it in clamshell mode because of overheating though...

Is that because of the 8600?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have a 17" MBP with a 23" ACD
I don't use clamshell mode, because I want the extra screen real estate

Mine stays plugged in all the time and running
Wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse

No issues or problems and my "desktop" has the advantage of being portable

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hi everyone.
I'm thinking about trying a Mac.
I leave my desktop PC on all day almost every day.
If I would have a MBP hooked up to a monitor and use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it, would there be anything that I need to worry about?

no there is nothing to worry about.

However, if it will be 'docked' 24/7, and this is your first OSX machine, then you may be better served by a mac mini.

Mac mini's carry the exact same components as the mbp's, have much more I/O, and are half the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.