Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesnowman16

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
New Zealand
Is there a keyboard shortcut that will minimise all windows and just show the desktop? Kind of like the 'Show Desktop' button in windows xp. (sorry I'm about to switch to mac this coming week so expect some questions like this over the next couple of weeks).

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You can also configure your Mighty Mouse to do this when you press the ball down, or press the side buttons together, in System Preferences.

Works with third party mice too.

EDIT: I thought...

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
You can also configure your Mighty Mouse to do this when you press the ball down, or press the side buttons together, in System Preferences.

Works with third party mice too.

Works with third-party mice?! Do I need to have the MM driver installed or have some other brand of voodoo to make that work?

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
It may not be default, but it's certainly configurable :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 679

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i'd also like to offer my reassurances. i use a logitech mx revolution, and i have no problems with hiding windows to get to the desktop.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 337

simsketch

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
desktop shortcut...mac...peek

if you press command+F3 it moves all of the other windows out of the way so you can work with the desktop, then press the command again to bring back your windows. at least on a 24" iMac...

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The key is set in Expose. You can make it anything you want, provided that it's not something already in use for something else.

Will Rush

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
F11 only lowers the sound volume on my iMac...

Has anyone else found this problem? All the short cut key lists say F11 will minimise everything so you can get to the desktop... is it different for snow leopard? iMacs?

Anyway, big thank you to the person who pointed out "command + F3" - most useful!

Cheers,

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
Has anyone else found this problem? All the short cut key lists say F11 will minimise everything so you can get to the desktop... is it different for snow leopard? iMacs?

Anyway, big thank you to the person who pointed out "command + F3" - most useful!

Cheers,

Check the attached picture! :p

Attachments

• keyb.jpg
    keyb.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 599

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
if you press command+F3 it moves all of the other windows out of the way so you can work with the desktop, then press the command again to bring back your windows. at least on a 24" iMac...

Thanks for finally answering that burning question. But why did it take you this long?

And how the hell did you find this thread? Will you be the first to answer my long going quest of finding answers from necro-threaders?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Ack! Duped again. I didn't notice that I was responding to the first post in almost three years. I guess some people just don't know other ways to have "fun". :rolleyes:

iClive

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2012
UK
Can't believe it's taken me so long to find the answer! :mad:

So, to summarise:

either fn+F11 or cmd+F3 do the job :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.