Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I don't know how this happened but everytime I press a key, I hear a sound. I'm sure something must have messed up in the settings somewhere but I don't know what.

Appreciate any help,

JH

Jetheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I unchecked "Use Click Key Sounds" but the sound is still here.

Any ideas?

JH

Jetheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Surprised nobody has experienced this before.

Any suggestions at all?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Try trashing the com.apple.universalaccess.plist and com.apple.VoiceOver.pronunciations.plist files in your [username]/Library/Preferences folder. And then restart your computer.

Jetheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Try trashing the com.apple.universalaccess.plist and com.apple.VoiceOver.pronunciations.plist files in your [username]/Library/Preferences folder. And then restart your computer.

Just tried that and its still the same.

Any more ideas?

JH

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Anyway you could record and then upload the sound? It could be a third-party program that's doing it, but without hearing it, it's hard to tell.

Jetheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Anyway you could record and then upload the sound? It could be a third-party program that's doing it, but without hearing it, it's hard to tell.

If I go to System Preferences >> Sound >> Sound Effects, whatever sound I choose from there, that's the sound played when I press any key.

I have tried unchecking all the boxes there to see if that makes a difference, but it remains the same.

Any ideas?

JH

DPCHILI

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2004
Hey my keys make noise every time i press a key... very annoying

Hey Im having the same problem. I can not type with out turning my volume down. Have you fixed the problem or figured out what caused it?

Dan

juandanielserra

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
I'm also having this issue, it is very annoying. I can only hear it when I try to write/click where I'm not supposed to...is this a feature? can it be turned off?

Tried the Universal Access options but still get the beep...

PAS FL

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
I'm also having this issue, it is very annoying. I can only hear it when I try to write/click where I'm not supposed to...is this a feature? can it be turned off?

Tried the Universal Access options but still get the beep...

Had the same problem and found that text to speech had assigned the key I was having problem with to "speak selected text when the key is pressed".

Thanks for the hint.

Also for other users, check if the same issue replicates within different profile.

skylinetofast

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2018
Had the same problem and found that text to speech had assigned the key I was having problem with to "speak selected text when the key is pressed".

Thanks for the hint.

Also for other users, check if the same issue replicates within different profile.

I found that if you turn off the slow keys in acceptability helps out a lot. I some use an old-school typewriter sound to help me make sure I'm typing the right keys at night because I'm using the 2010 MacBook white and it doesn't have the led keys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.