Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many miles do you drive per day?

• 33 miles or less

Votes: 82 59.4%
  • 30-40 miles

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • 40-60 miles

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • 60-80 miles

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • 80-100 miles

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • 100+ miles

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
If you're a commuter that drives a car everyday I would really love to see how many miles on average do you drive to work or school per day?

The Average American Driver drives 33.3 Miles per day.

On average I drive around 83-86 Miles per day.

From LAX (Los Angeles International Airport/Inglewood Area) to Irvine (Orange County, CA) on the 405 to go to school everyday M-F

and just for your information I used to drive a Toyota Highlander, but most recently i'm driving a Toyota Matrix.

mac88

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA.
A grand total of 2.2 miles roundtrip a day. I live real close to work. I only put around 2100 miles on my car in over 2 years. My car is going to last forever!

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
60+ for me. My one way trip to work is 30 miles. Then of course if I have things to do etc.

Wow! I feel your pain... 60 miles is long.

I only drive about 18 miles per day. 20 at most. On an average day it's just to and from school, which is a 9 mile trip.

I live in Australia however and not a very large city so this is definitely going to be completely different for you Yanks.

King Mook Mook

Australia is big....but I have never been there.....Don't know if you australians have Freeways like us in the U.S.A? :eek:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
A grand total of 2.2 miles roundtrip a day. I live real close to work. I only put around 2100 miles on my car in over 2 years. My car is going to last forever!

good greif that is not that many miles. I have had months were I cranks out more miles than your car has on it. I have crank out 4k in under a month before.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm in a very similar situation. I bike to work when the weather permits as well.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Every once in a while (when it's raining or unusually cold) I'll drive to class at UCLA, which is around 3.5 round trip. Usually I bike, and sometimes I walk if I have extra time.

I do much more driving on the weekend, but that's to and from fun activities.

Once I finish with school (soon!) and I'm working, I'm sure my driving needs will change.....

Before I went back to school, I drove 7 miles round trip to work in Beverly Hills......

delux246

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Los Angeles
From LAX (Los Angeles International Airport/Inglewood Area) to Irvine (Orange County, CA) on the 405 to go to school everyday M-F

I feel sorry for you. I live in LA but my job is about a mile away. I often drive places around the southland for my work but the 405 m-f... i'm sorry for you!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
If you're a commuter that drives a car everyday I would really love to see how many miles on average do you drive to work or school per day?

The Average American Driver drives 33.3 Miles per day.

On average I drive around 83-86 Miles per day.

and just for your information I used to drive a Toyota Highlander, but most recently i'm driving a Toyota Matrix.

Ohhh the pain. The 405 is horrible. I take, 91>>710>>10. Not to bad. The hours I have make it actually nice. No real traffic. 405 seems to always have traffic and going into LAX... uggh. I feel the pain!

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
1 mile on average. That is, I'm in school now, but since I'm a distance education student, I only need to drive to the grocery store on a weekend. This was similar though for me over the last 4 years, since prior to school I was in consulting. I only needed to travel when going to see a customer, in which case I would take a limo to the airport. Of course, there are those occasional weekend trips which I'm not taking into account here.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Australia is big, but it just so happens that we don't very often drive around it! And we do have freeways (you can come and see them for yourself, if you like)!

i wouldnt recommend that. our highways mainly consist of one lane roads (each way of course) - and they are uneven and rocky. thats what its like around my part anyway (northern nsw).

dual lane carriage ways are a luxury :p

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Anywhere from 400-600 miles. But that's only because I'm a truck driver. The most I've ever driven in one sitting is 669 miles. :eek:

Ohhh the pain. The 405 is horrible. I take, 91>>710>>10. Not to bad. The hours I have make it actually nice. No real traffic. 405 seems to always have traffic and going into LAX... uggh. I feel the pain!

It's always like that at the East LA Interchange. That labyrinth's probably jammed even in the middle of the night.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Anywhere from 400-600 miles. But that's only because I'm a truck driver. The most I've ever driven in one sitting is 669 miles. :eek:

It's always like that at the East LA Interchange. That labyrinth's probably jammed even in the middle of the night.

I agree. I think that is one of the worst road ways in the nation. Horrible. I avoid that place at all costs if I can.....

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California

Woof. I don't know how you guys do that... I went from the Oakland, CA to New York with my girlfriend last summer in 5 or 6 days, and I think our longest day was about long. And that was tough, even switching off every hour or two!

straight through run is 45minutes, with traffic it can take 2hrs. thats what happens when hundreds of thousands of people drive on a dual lane highway ;)

Nicely done, NSW Government (and now we've got the puppet Keneally). Seriously, if you guys want to see a dysfunctional government at work, go and see the faction driven, dysfunctional and soon-to-be in opposition NSW Labor Government!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.