Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steamtoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
Ok. Here's the thing. I got this refurb rev.b 1.6GHz 9400m Macbook Air 3 weeks ago. And whenever I was video chatting with ichat, there is really nothing else I can do. I can't even do normal typing on msn or safari. To me it's literally an expensive iPad with a keyboard.

Do you think there would be any benefit from 10.6.3 with parallels computing utilizing 9400m gpu? If not I have to sell it, or sooner or lator i will throw it out the window.

[Update: It seems to be the overheating issue. I use it on bed for most of time.]

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Since the MBA runs a real OS and actually has the ability to do a video chat, I find your analogy puzzling. At best.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The "puzzling" troubles go much further than that... the newest MBA which is OLD, has a 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and Nvidia 9400m GPU. The iPad has a Cortex A8 based CPU and same GPU as an iPhone, LMAO.

The MBA can truly run the Internet, run Mac OS X and Windows 7, can run Flash, can run intensive applications and drive up to a 30" ACD, and it just keeps going deeper and deeper. The MBA can do everything the iPad can do and far more.

The iPad will be an entertainment device while the MBA is a premium and fully capable Mac or Windows computer. Want to run your business on an iPad? LMAO! How fast is someone going to type a 500 word essay on an iPad? How about video chat? Oh no camera on an iPad. How about running real applications? Sure you're going to get Pages lite on the iPad, but who will want to type on that thing? How much screen space will you be able to see, three lines of text at a time with the keyboard taking up the rest. What about more intensive apps, nope ARM CPU equals glorified iPhone. How about finger smudges all over your "beautiful" 10" display? I will gladly run my business from my MBA while I will use an iPad on vacation to check a few emails and watch a video on a plane.

The iPad will be good for watching a 10" movie while the MBA will allow me to watch a 24" HD movie on my LED ACD or up to 30" display if I want to. The MBA will also play a DVD and has a 16:10 native display vs a lousy 4:3 aspect ration on the iPad.

I can see it now... people packing their iPad, add-on keyboard, stupid black stand-up case, and accessories all in their bag that weighs as much as the MBA. In the end, the iPad user will not even be able to surf basic text websites if they use a Flash-based navigation menu. The iPad is a glorified iPhone... NOTHING MORE and actually less as it cannot even make a phone call.

I agree the iPad has a lot of potential, but it's meant to be a revolutionary device to change the way people read books, get personal entertainment, do extremely light web surfing, and reply to a few emails. Not only that, content will all be PAID FOR on the iPad. No free Hulu as Apple needs to make its "extra" money. No Flash because it threatens Apple's premium pay for everything services.

I am disgusted when people compare the iPad to the MBA. Sure a few people that are using the MBA as a secondary device will leave the MBA... but I suspect they will be back when they find out the iPad proves to be nothing more than a glorified iPhone less communication capabilities. Only difference is the screen size!

None of that even considers where the MBA is headed... 4 GB of RAM, perhaps a Core i7 CPU, an ATI or Nvidia graphics system, 192/256 GB SSD, a real OS, runs all Mac applications and more.

I suspect when the MBA is updated it will be more popular and sell more copies than ever before... as people will realize the MBA is first and foremost a Mac which they can count on for their daily workload as well as personal entertainment, while the iPad is a toy for fun.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I suspect when the MBA is updated it will be more popular and sell more copies than ever before... as people will realize the MBA is first and foremost a Mac which they can count on for their daily workload as well as personal entertainment, while the iPad is a toy for fun.

The MacBook Air is also just a toy, albeit one for the upper-income executive class. I know some diplomats at the United Nations who love to travel with that class of notebook, because they are so light... and exclusive. But none of those people do more than fetching emails with those computers. They just love to show off their status and position within the hierarchy.

Huubster

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010

I am new in this forum and my heart is warmed by your rational posts!
I fully agree with everything you say. Comparing an Ipad with an MBA is outright ridiculous and should be forbidden by law.
I am anticipating the new MBA rev with exitement!

Having said that...I do think that the last bit in your comments are the tricky bit...The current state of affairs is such that if Apple would release a smelly turd with a touchscreen people would still want it, and buy it, and consider it superior to any other electronic device out there. Probably even if it is "compared" to an Apple device without a touchscreen!

The MacBook Air is also just a toy, albeit one for the upper-income executive class. I know some diplomats at the United Nations who love to travel with that class of notebook, because they are so light... and exclusive. But none of those people do more than fetching emails with those computers. They just love to show off their status and position within the hierarchy.

It is my primary and only computer. Yes I do a lot of traveling, but I also do a lot more than fetching emails only...

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I can see it now... people packing their iPad, add-on keyboard, stupid black stand-up case, and accessories all in their bag that weighs as much as the MBA. In the end, the iPad user will not even be able to surf basic text websites if they use a Flash-based navigation menu. The iPad is a glorified iPhone... NOTHING MORE and actually less as it cannot even make a phone call.

I agree the iPad has a lot of potential, but it's meant to be a revolutionary device to change the way people read books, get personal entertainment, do extremely light web surfing, and reply to a few emails. Not only that, content will all be PAID FOR on the iPad. No free Hulu as Apple needs to make its "extra" money. No Flash because it threatens Apple's premium pay for everything services.

I am disgusted when people compare the iPad to the MBA. Sure a few people that are using the MBA as a secondary device will leave the MBA... but I suspect they will be back when they find out the iPad proves to be nothing more than a glorified iPhone less communication capabilities. Only difference is the screen size!

Very well said, Scottsdale. You summed it up perfectly.

I had the 'ipad fever' for a moment but then realized, "hey I already have a MBA and an iPhone", and when thinking it through the ipad for me becomes much less attractive.

I sure hope advancing the MBA is in Apple's plans and that they're not all too sick with the 'ipad fever' that they forget about the Air, the next few months will tell a lot about Apple's future direction that's for sure.

The iPad will be a profit machine for Apple and Publisher's hope for it's success too ... the MBA isn't thought of as such a money maker, that's why I'm concerned.

kamochan

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009

My toy grinds Ubuntu on Virtualbox for Maemo development on a daily basis, among a bunch of other things. This toy is much more powerful than my old Powerbook G4... but I could use another 2G of RAM though ;)

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Yep I'm thinking more and more the Air wins out in most any comparison ... except price and for the 3g iPad ... 3g, and the exciting and novel costs associated therewith.

I just hope that the Air can be made to keep progressing happily, and soon, despite the issues around integrated graphics and Intel.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I think the OP's frustration with the limits of the Air render it to be not much better than the iPad. And that's a sad statement on the Air.

True, there is much that the iPad won't do that OS X will do. But the sorry part is that the OP's Air seems to be crippled enough that it hamstrings OS X to the point where it's just no better than an iPad with a keyboard. And given the fact that the Air is SUPPOSED to be able to run OS X in full, this becomes quite a frustration. At least the iPad will hopefully be able to do what it promises rather than half of what it promises.

It does not seem that all Airs are as limited as the OP suggests. Many report that it is zippy enough. The OP implies that it can barely do one app, let alone multitask. I wonder why the OP's experience is so bad? Perhaps it needs a bare metal reload of the OS because something is really wrong.

Or, there do seem to be two very different Airs out there. The one that Scottsdale has that is fine, and the one that others have that overheat to the point of being inoperable. The truth of the Air seems to be very hard to figure it out.

I know the SSD is a lot of it. The heat is clearly the other part of it. I think the Air really needs a thermal redesign, even if it no longer is quite as thin to get thermal performance really under control.

My issue as a buyer is that since it's so hard to figure out which Air you will get, a Scottsdale Air or an Overheating Air, that I stay away from the thing. I would love to buy one IF I could be I was getting the Scottsdale model. Until I am more confident in that, I stay away from the thing. And look towards the iPad as possibly filling my light-weight computing needs enough to make it the mobile computer of choice.

steamtoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks for replying, everyone.

I just bought an new MBP13 on ebay, and have decided to sell this MBA.

I guess it's about time to say goodbye to you beautiful machine. Although i like your looking, your feeling on touchpad, and your perfect size and weight. I can't stand your crappy performance and overheating anymore.

I love you but I can't own you. So long...

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks for replying, everyone.

I just bought an new MBP13 on ebay, and have decided to sell this MBA.

I guess it's about time to say goodbye to you beautiful machine. Although i like your looking, your feeling on touchpad, and your perfect size and weight. I can't stand your crappy performance and overheating anymore.

I love you but I can't own you. So long...

I thought you were going to replace your MBA with its so called equivalent... the iPad??? Huh? What happened to the plan?

I hope the MBP doesn't get an update tomorrow! Or you will wish you could return that MBP... too bad you bought it where it probably cannot be returned.

steamtoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
I thought you were going to replace your MBA with its so called equivalent... the iPad??? Huh? What happened to the plan?

I hope the MBP doesn't get an update tomorrow! Or you will wish you could return that MBP... too bad you bought it where it probably cannot be returned.

I will cry if it get update tomorrow. God! Don't let that happen... Don't let that happen...

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
HDD MBAs are junk.

'nuff said.

It still blows my mind that people are willing to throw money at Apple knowing the screens are ****.

Looking back, and being the screen whore that I am, WTF was I myself thinking some thirteen months ago??

And to think, I paid the Japanese price of about $3k out the door with Applecare and superdrive for a 1.6/120, FMLLLL

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The "puzzling" troubles go much further than that... the newest MBA which is OLD, has a 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and Nvidia 9400m GPU. The iPad has a Cortex A8 based CPU and same GPU as an iPhone, LMAO.

The MBA can truly run the Internet, run Mac OS X and Windows 7, can run Flash, can run intensive applications and drive up to a 30" ACD, and it just keeps going deeper and deeper. The MBA can do everything the iPad can do and far more.

The iPad will be an entertainment device while the MBA is a premium and fully capable Mac or Windows computer. Want to run your business on an iPad? LMAO! How fast is someone going to type a 500 word essay on an iPad? How about video chat? Oh no camera on an iPad. How about running real applications? Sure you're going to get Pages lite on the iPad, but who will want to type on that thing? How much screen space will you be able to see, three lines of text at a time with the keyboard taking up the rest. What about more intensive apps, nope ARM CPU equals glorified iPhone. How about finger smudges all over your "beautiful" 10" display? I will gladly run my business from my MBA while I will use an iPad on vacation to check a few emails and watch a video on a plane.

The iPad will be good for watching a 10" movie while the MBA will allow me to watch a 24" HD movie on my LED ACD or up to 30" display if I want to. The MBA will also play a DVD and has a 16:10 native display vs a lousy 4:3 aspect ration on the iPad.

None of that even considers where the MBA is headed... 4 GB of RAM, perhaps a Core i7 CPU, an ATI or Nvidia graphics system, 192/256 GB SSD, a real OS, runs all Mac applications and more.

i can't believe you type all of that LOL

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Scottsdale posts are usually huge lol.

I have to agree 110% with him that the MBA is a whole different machine compared to an iPad.

I myself would love an iPad just for the fact of laying in bed and playing on the internet (but thats the same reason I want a macbook air :eek:) but with the Air I have a full blown OS that I can use to also do coding on which is why I'll be buying an air as soon as it updates (and has 4 gig of ram :D)

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
It's posts like these that give the MBA a bad name for nothing. The OP bought an older model MacBook Air with the slowest processor and expects it to behave like a MBP. When it doesn't it is compared to an iPad. Why not just go all the way and compare it to an iPhone--at least an iPhone has a camera so in that sense it's a bit more similar. The MBA is not without faults of course but video chatting is very CPU intensive so trying to do that and much more on a 1.6GHz computer is not going to work. Youre probably better off going with the MBP because that is the computer you needEd in the first place. As for the person claimed it is just meant to show off your class and hierarchy -- all I have for you is an 'Lol' - cause I'm hoping that was a joke.

steamtoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
It's posts like these that give the MBA a bad name for nothing. The OP bought an older model MacBook Air with the slowest processor and expects it to behave like a MBP. When it doesn't it is compared to an iPad. Why not just go all the way and compare it to an iPhone--at least an iPhone has a camera so in that sense it's a bit more similar. The MBA is not without faults of course but video chatting is very CPU intensive so trying to do that and much more on a 1.6GHz computer is not going to work. Youre probably better off going with the MBP because that is the computer you needEd in the first place. As for the person claimed it is just meant to show off your class and hierarchy -- all I have for you is an 'Lol' - cause I'm hoping that was a joke.

There's nothing wrong with the processor. Indeed, i believe 1.6GHz CPU is enough for me for all my task. The only problem seems to be core shutdown caused by overheating, and it seems only happen when i use it on my bed. If I put it on desk or other flat surface, no problem at all.

Mr. Jobs

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
There's nothing wrong with the processor. Indeed, i believe 1.6GHz CPU is enough for me for all my task. The only problem seems to be core shutdown caused by overheating, and it seems only happen when i use it on my bed. If I put it on desk or other flat surface, no problem at all.

THEN DONT FREAKING PUT IT ON YOUR BED!!!
if the only problem is overheating when you put it on the bed, then maybe you shouldn't put it on the bed... easiest fix ever :confused:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Ya putting a computer on any soft surface is a bad idea. It blocks the vents and doesn't let heat dissipate from it naturally. Believe it or not the little bit of a raise it gets from sitting on a hard surface where the feet lift it off is actually pretty beneficial for heat dissipation. (Its one of the things we test for when testing machines at work).

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
The MacBook Air would be very good...

HDD MBAs are junk.

'nuff said.

You must have very short arguments in your family. If you have any.

It still blows my mind that people are willing to throw money at Apple knowing the screens are ****.

I don't know what the four stars represent, but I've had two MacBook Airs (First gen, refurb.) last year and the screen was actually the only thing that I liked about them (apart from the fact that they are so light and slim).

Simultaneously, we've had a unibody MB Pro (2.53GHz, 15") and a unibody MacBook. The MBP has a stunning screen, but the super-mega-hyper glossy glass makes it very distracting. The unibody MB had the worst screen that I ever saw on an Apple portable. In fact, it was so bad that they secretly replaced it with a better one in February, last year. It doesn't matter now as I sold the MB and I also sold the Airs.

I cannot imagine any computer with this screen size that would be better for typing than those 13" Airs. As they are slim, there is less strain on your hands and with the screen, even with minor reflections, you can actually see the whole screen. In Pages' Full screen mode, it hardly draws any power.

Sadly, they overheat, the graphics performance is poor, the hinges are prone to break (Apple replaces them even outside of the warranty period) and they emit considerable noise. Eventually, that was the main reason why I returned the first one in the 14 days period and sold the second one within half a year. But I still believe that with a glass trackpad and with the new specifications, they can be the best portable computers.

Looking back, and being the screen whore that I am, WTF was I myself thinking some thirteen months ago??

And to think, I paid the Japanese price of about $3k out the door with Applecare and superdrive for a 1.6/120, FMLLLL

It makes me feel better that you called yourself that and you also spent a lot of money on something that you hate so much. :D

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
i can't believe you type all of that LOL

I type extremely fast. I have been able to hit 70+ words per minute when timed once. I would say my average post probably takes four to eight minutes to type out depending on how much I want to argue my side of the point.

I also believe if one is going to contribute they should actually contribute with an actual thought that is on a side of a debate. I love debate, and I love being able to challenge either side of an argument. While I love my MBA, I can bash it like it's a piece of crap computer while still being exactly truthful to the argument.

roxygal9

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
FL
I type extremely fast. I have been able to hit 70+ words per minute when timed once. I would say my average post probably takes four to eight minutes to type out depending on how much I want to argue my side of the point.

I also believe if one is going to contribute they should actually contribute with an actual thought that is on a side of a debate. I love debate, and I love being able to challenge either side of an argument. While I love my MBA, I can bash it like it's a piece of crap computer while still being exactly truthful to the argument.

Really Scootsdale, okay well i have definitely heard all the good about the MBA, now tell me the cons from your perspective? If Apple doesnt have a Rev D by this summer, or I dont like the specs i may go with the Rev. C or the new Sony Z. For the cooling issue I have heard many people say, do the cooling pads that Targus has for example work at all? I cant wait to get my hands on numbers what a great program!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
OP, you analogy is like comparing a Tesla roadster (the MacBook Air) to a motocycle (the iPad).

Scottsdale pretty much said what needed to be said.

Yes the 4200RPM HDD is slow, but what'd you expect; you have to compromise somewhere.

pmichellon

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Hi All,

I took me almost 2 months to decide what to buy: iPad vs Macbook Air?
The presentation of the iPad was a disappointment. No webcam, too big and no real added value to my ipod touch.

Therefore, last week, I bought the Macbook Air (2.13 Ghz and 128 SSD). Not the same budget but for someone who travels a lot like me, this computer is just FANTASTIC.

I can surf, update my blog, take pictures and manage them in Lightroom, Photoshop CS3 works perfectly and I can work on any MS Office document. The trackpad is great and the webcam (which was a must have for me) works great (I can see my family while away). To sum up, so much more than what an iPad can/will do.

Some might argue that the iPad is lighter and probably easier to use with a better battery. Still I find it too big if you want to listen to music. For movies, it is ok but I already have my ipod and watching a divx is possible on the macbook air. The weight of the macbook air is just great and the SSD is very fast. Finally I usually have 3 to 5 hours of battery life. Enough for what I usually do.

The macbook air is not an expensive iPad. They are two very different machines. Before the macbook air, I would consider an iPad. Now, ... no way. Or I'll wait for Rev. 2 of the iPad (probably with a webcam and cheaper).

Note: these comments come from a former 200% PC user :D I'll keep the home server I built last year but any other PC at home will be sold on ebay next week. Next : an iMac (21.5") :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.