Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slynger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
i have an older 20" G5 iMac and the hard drive crapped out. Can anyone recommend a good HD to stick in there while I wait for Mac to update the line again before I get a new one.

Also, do they have to be a certain size in order to fit into the chassis of the iMac, or will a regular HD work?

slynger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
nobody has any simple suggestions - all I need is a couple - please help, I can't keep going without my computer :(

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
G5 iMac uses SATA HDs which are the most common ones so any 3.5" SATA HD will work though I've heard that there might be a capacity limit but if you're OK with e.g. 320GB, that's not going to affect.

I like Western Digital and have never had problems with them. I've built dozens of PCs with this HD, no issues and fair price

slynger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
thanks, I wasn't sure if there was a size limit or not.

curious if this is indeed the problem if my disk utility (running from the DVD) said that there are bad sectors and the disk can't be fixed. Sure sounds like it to me, curious what you guys think??

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
thanks, I wasn't sure if there was a size limit or not.

curious if this is indeed the problem if my disk utility (running from the DVD) said that there are bad sectors and the disk can't be fixed. Sure sounds like it to me, curious what you guys think??

Sounds true to me. HDs are quite cheap nowadays but of course if you had something important in there, it's very likely gone.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009

if you have a pc lying around somewhere ,just a pc of some sort will just do ,dont worry about usb 1 or 2 , install linux on it and hang on this faulty drive to it via usb , if it doesnt mount from itself force it with some of the commands (if you dont know all of the commands you can search them on google )
it might not work ,but i have rescued that way some data from broken drives, which osx and windows could not read any more

slynger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
thanks for the tips -I'm just gonna get a 320 GB drive and hope that fixes the problem - we shall see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.