Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I just picked up a Snow Leopard Server machine last night and I've yet to even plug it up to get everything running. So I'm just curious..

For those using SLServer at home, what do you mainly use your machine for?
- I mainly want to just have my little home network, maybe a website, and a machine to be the center of our file sharing. Maybe more... to be cont'd

Are there any "must have" applications or certain things you did or do that makes your life much easier having the server?

I haven't found tons of info yet, as I am just searching while I can at work, but are there any sites you know of that are the place to go for apple server information?

Thanks guys and gals, I'll be sure to post back with any other useful info I find while heading down my first Leopard server path.

Side note I do have quite a bit of experience setting up Windows servers, 2003 and 2008-R2 primarily so not a complete server noob but I still feel as I have plenty to learn if there are those willing to teach:p

bigbearf

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
SLS uses

@mmomega
I do not know if you are referring to a Mac Mini Server or Xserve machine but I can tell you what I use my MMS for in a home environment.
1. HTPC via HDMI to HD TV using Plex and Harmony One Remote
2. DNS server for network.
3. iTunes Server and iLife 09 added and use as a media streamer to network XBox360 and Directv HR2x boxes.
4. Use MMS to Time Capsule and ReadyNAS Pro pioneer for backup and redundancy.
Have just scratched the surface but so far so good
bigbearf

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've ordered a refurb Mac Mini Server, which will arrive next week. At first glance it doesn't make sense to have a server, but I've got 7 computers in the house to deal with. My intended use:

1. Video, Photo, and music server.
2. Open directory
3. DNS server
4. centralized TimeMachine backup server.
5. iCal and Address Book syncing.
6. Parallels to run Quicken.

At some point I may use it as my gateway (firewall, DHCP, NAT, perhaps VPN).

I currently do (1) only, using an 8 year old Windows XP box.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I bought one a few months ago, primarily to centralize backups on machines in my home vs. a shared USB drive hanging off an AE which was flakey.

I had big plans for ical server and all kinds of other things but in the end it was too technical for me (and I discovered BusyCal which is WONDERFUL!!), so I'm still using it only for a backup machine.

that's ok with me. It's expensive, but it works without hassle for the most part.

Maybe someday I'll get around to making it a plex box, but I've been moving towards a simpler life, sometimes just sticking the DVD into the player and watching is better.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
same here with it getting complicated the more I want to do, which wasn't completely unexpected just thought there would be a little more info in regards to guides and setups. Guess it's time to hit the books and start reading more :cool:

Anyone know if shared drives on SLS can be set for backup (time machine) drives for Win7 as well ?

Wanted this server to take some of the load and mess from my imac. Ha, i'm supposed to have my 1 power cord and that's it, yet with 3 1TB externals, printer, headset, gaming mouse, etc crap I had to add a USB hub which causes a little extra mess around the desk.

If this server gets up n running I can put everything in the office closet drop an ethernet cable and be g2g. And better yet everything is hidden... finally.

svenwillmann

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
Besides a lot of other functionality that Snow Leopard Server offers here are 2 of the features I really like and that make my life much easier to use multiple macs (at home)

- Address Book Service (and the sync that comes with it)
- iCal Service (and the sync that comes with it)

I also use it to stream media content, file server, database, etc. and make use of LDAP

walkerz

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
@bigbearf

@bigbearf I would love to hear more about how you are doing #1 and #3 on your list. I just got my MMS installed this week and am in the process of setting it up... sounds like you are already doing what I hope to get into!

CorporateFelon

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Mainly as a web/email/media server. I was accomplishing most of what I do now on just the regular version of OSX.

There was a single reason that I upgraded to the server version.

In the the Server Admin guid tool to allow me to easily manage multiple websites on the machine. I knew how to handle this in apache, but I was tired of dealing with the config files to do so.

At home it's always just been a hobby, but since upgrading to the server version I've started to utilize other features of SLS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.