Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130412-tomtom_us.jpg

MobileCrunch reports that TomTom has issued a press release announcing the submission of Version 1.3 of its iPhone application to Apple for inclusion in the App Store. The updated version will bring real-time traffic updates and local search functionality offered by Google, as well as other yet-to-be-announced enhancements.
A number of new services and features are coming soon to the TomTom app for iPhone, including TomTom Traffic for real-time traffic speed and incident reports, and Local Search powered by Google. The latest update to the TomTom app for iPhone (version 1.3), which has been submitted to Apple for review, will offer these and other soon-to-be-announced enhancements to ensure an optimal, and even more intuitive, navigation experience.
TomTom's iPhone application was last updated in November to add text-to-speech, lane guidance and several other features as the company has continued to attempt to keep pace in the competitive iPhone GPS market.

Article Link: TomTom for iPhone Set to Gain Real-Time Traffic Updates, Local Search

aberg83

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Nice!

For 3G users, this will mean TomTom is the undisputed best GPS app. Navigon just won't run reliably on the 3G.

gber

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
question about features

Does the current version allow saving of Favorites? Can it save an itinerary (multiple way points and destination)?
Thanks

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Sweet - the lack of google search and traffic were the 2 glaring drawbacks of TomTom. Once those are in place, it should be a pretty solid product! I doubt the traffic add-on will be free, but I hope it is!

rosujin

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Nice! If they don't try to charge any extra for these new features I may finally have to break down and get this app.:rolleyes:

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
Nice!

For 3G users, this will mean TomTom is the undisputed best GPS app. Navigon just won't run reliably on the 3G.

speak for yourself. while i have the occasional hiccups and stickyness, usually running Navigon off of a fresh restart works reliably well for me and my iPhone 3G.

gber

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Nice! If they don't try to charge any extra for these new features I may finally have to break down and get this app.:rolleyes:

Don't expect TomTom to offer free traffic since they charge $9.95 a month for live Traffic, fuel prices and local Google search on their other devices. I also question how long users will get free map updates which are available quarterly for $49 a year on their other devices. They have done a poor job communicating the cost of these features on the iPhone. I guess they want to get a larger user base before they pass along other cost.

aberg83

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
speak for yourself. while i have the occasional hiccups and stickyness, usually running Navigon off of a fresh restart works reliably well for me and my iPhone 3G.

It has been well documented throughout these and other forums that Navigon is not reliable on the 3G. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do a fresh restart for an app to run well, that includes exhibiting occasional hiccups and stickyness. Everyone has a different opinion of what is usable. In my view, Navigon was clearly not designed to run smoothly on the 3G, but rather the 3GS. I'll leave it at that, since this issue has been beaten to death in other threads.

roiegat

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
not sure why it's big news. GMAP costs 35 bucks and is just as good. For 7 dollars a year you get live traffic information. It's got the voice navigation and everything. It's much better then my actual TomTom GPS.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
aren't "updates" required to be free? I've never seen a paid update. Sure I mean they could add in app purchases to add some functionality (like traffic), but as for an actual update, it was my understanding those are always free

No - paid updates exist but are rare and are allowed by Apple.

n9n3

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Massachusetts
aren't "updates" required to be free? I've never seen a paid update. Sure I mean they could add in app purchases to add some functionality (like traffic), but as for an actual update, it was my understanding those are always free

Mad Mac is exaggerating, but I think what will happen is that the update will allow for these software features to happen, and a paid in-app purchase will actually activate it. The next Navigon update is going to include 3D terrain maps, but you still have to buy it in-app to use the feature. The free update facilitates the upgrade, the in-app purchase let's you use it.

mvl

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
Sweet - the lack of google search and traffic were the 2 glaring drawbacks of TomTom. Once those are in place, it should be a pretty solid product! I doubt the traffic add-on will be free, but I hope it is!

According to pocketlink here, Tomtom has told them directly that app 1.3 itself will be free. The traffic service is likely to be an in-app purchase subscription cost, and pricing is not yet announced.

Scdavis23

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2009
Live Traffic

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Navigon's traffic option a one-time purchase? If so, maybe we'll luck out and TomTom's live traffic won't be a subscription.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Doesn't bother me much.
And it doesn't answer the question, which was not what bothers you.

It has been well documented throughout these and other forums that Navigon is not reliable on the 3G. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do a fresh restart for an app to run well, that includes exhibiting occasional hiccups and stickyness. Everyone has a different opinion of what is usable. In my view, Navigon was clearly not designed to run smoothly on the 3G, but rather the 3GS. I'll leave it at that, since this issue has been beaten to death in other threads.

Your right. The poster is probably a Windows user like me and used to doing restarts.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.