Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnabythebear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hiya!

I've just got my shinny new 1.8 G5! I installed an airport card but can't set it up to receive from my lynksys router? My ibook can see it so i know it's working.

I tried the support pages at linksys and set the router up as detailed but to no avail.

When I set up my laptop, i had to be right on top of the router untill i found the right channel, but as I can't do this with my mac I don't know how to set it up as the channel change is via the lynksys web site!

Any help gratefuly received!

ta

nige.

WCat

macrumors member
Hmmm...here's what I would check in approximately this order:

1. Before opening your G5, I'd check to make sure that the little "T" shaped Airport Extreme antenna is plugged into the back of the case.

2. Then I'd open your box and check to see if the coax cable is plugged into the little jack on the Airport card. This cable runs back through the box to the antenna jack I just checked in item #1.

3. Open your system preferences, then click on "Network".

4. Assuming you're using OS 10.3, you'll see the status of your various network connections. Check to see what it says for "Airport".

4a. If it's off (with a round red flag next to it), then turn it on (click "connect" at the bottom, then select the button to turn it on). Go to #5.

4b. If it has a yellow flag, it's turned on (recognized by your OS as well), but not connected to an access point. Go to #5.

4c. If it says that there is no Airport card, then you may want to try re-seating your card (with the power off!). Make sure you're inserting it the right way. It should snug down tightly for the last 1/4 inch or so of its travel as you seat it. A very slight tug outwards should not pull it back up again--it's supposed to be tight in its socket. Power up and go to #3.

5. Assuming all parts are plugged in, and your OS sees the card, then (with Network open from step #3) click on "Configure".

6. Open the tab for "Airport" and notice the item "By default, join" with a pulldown menu next to it. Click the menu item, and enter the exact name (called the SSID) of your router or access point (please tell me it's not "Linksys"--the default name from the factory).

7. Also click the "TCP/IP" tab and make sure it says you are using DHCP, unless you purposely and knowingly use static IP addresses, this should normally be the default.

8. Again assuming 10.3, use Finder to go to your main "Applications" folder, and click on "Internet Connect". Select the "Airport" tab. If you click on the "Network" button, it should show you the names of all the 802.11 access points it can see. Click on your system's SSID. I would also turn on the check box that says "Show airport status in menu bar" for future ease of use.

That should be it. Sorry if I've insulted your intelligence with anything here--just being thorough. Obviously you know a lot of this already, since you set up your laptop properly. If none of this works, you may have a bad Airport Extreme card (which is EXTREMELY rare, by the way). My guess is either that, or that step 1 or 2 or 4c will fix it. Some people miss the antenna connections AND adding the antenna on the back as well.

Hope this helps!

WCat

WCat

macrumors member
One last thought (maybe should have been first). You don't really say whether you can SEE your access point wirelessly AT ALL, or if it's just a matter of joining it. My above post assumes you CANNOT see it at all. If your G5 can see it but not connect to it, my guess then would be that you have WEP or WPA security turned on, and your passwords are mismatched. Give me some more info and I can try to guide you through that. There are also some good guides on Apple's support site that you might want to look at.

WCat

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
Hi

barnabythebear said:
Hiya!

I've just got my shinny new 1.8 G5! I installed an airport card but can't set it up to receive from my lynksys router? My ibook can see it so i know it's working.

I tried the support pages at linksys and set the router up as detailed but to no avail.

When I set up my laptop, i had to be right on top of the router untill i found the right channel, but as I can't do this with my mac I don't know how to set it up as the channel change is via the lynksys web site!

Any help gratefuly received!

ta

nige.

I have the very same problem...

I have two questions for you :

Is your Airport Base Station one of the first ones? Does your iBook, have an old Airport card in it?

Here is what I did 12 times before I figured out it need to be set like this.

Reset your Base Station by pressing the button on the Base to reset its self.

Then on your G5 search for the base station and it will appear, also when it asks for the IP no, you can see it being something like 10.0.0.2 or something like that. Type that in and the new password. Then make the base station work only for those with a password. Then no one else can log on to it...

Try this...

barnabythebear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hiya

Guys, thanks so much! WCat u are a complete star! All sorted and fixed!

Thanks very much.

nige.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.