Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Valve Software generated some excitement among gaming fans who noticed Mac OS X menu components and other items in the most recent release of the company's Steam distribution platform for the PC. Combined with reports of Valve recruiting Mac engineers, the evidence suggested that Valve may be planning to make a move into the Mac platform.

MacRumors today received a teaser image from Valve appearing to show Gordon Freeman, protagonist of Valve's Half-Life video game series, with an Apple logo on his chest. The image was accompanied with the following explanation: "In anticipation of an upcoming announcement from Valve."

145949-valve_teaser_500.jpg

Valve has not offered any additional information on what we can expect from them or when more news might be available beyond "soon".

Article Link: Valve Teases Upcoming Half-Life Release for Mac

Greenhoe

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
This is great news, I just hope I won't have to re buy Half Life 2 again for the Mac. If they port over L4D along with all Blizzard games being Mac I wont have any more need for Bootcamp!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Nice one! Hopefully other game studios will follow Valve. There are more and more Macs sold every day so sooner than later Macs are starting to be big market for gaming. Most people don't want to use Bootcamp or wait months for crappy Mac version. Go Valve, do it!

filthandfury

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
omfg

i have a feeling Valve will do it right; hopefully they will be Blizzard caliber; now all we need is Bungie to return to the pre xbox days; myth 4 anyone???

DCstewieG

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
U.S.A.
Suh-weeeeet. I've been putting off installing Boot Camp for Episode 2 for so long, it would be great to not have to worry about it! Like someone else said, with Blizzard and Valve on Mac, I'd be all set. Consoles for everything else.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Oh my god oh my god oh my god!! Actual proof from VALVE!! Damn, maybe this means Half Life is coming to the Mac SOON? So... Not in 5 years??? I would so be happy... This would be a very big thing for Macs! Although Crossover works fine, I would love official support!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Woohoo! This is exciting indeed. I love Valve and I love Apple, so I really can't wait to see what kind of synergy we'll see soon.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Would be sweet. Need a few more native Mac releases.

Attn: Sid Meier.

Civ5 for Mac simultaneous release - native version - no crap Cider etc.

Blizzard does it and I think they make a bit of money.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Gabe Newell is to receive the 'Pioneer award' at this years GDC

I would be shocked if this isn't when something is announced.

Microcuts

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Gotta love Valve, almost like a treasure hunt for the other images :D

They've been putting off HL2 episode 3 for a long time, maybe because of this?
They were making the first few HL games Mac-compatible!

That's a good reason to me :)
And if they port Steam to Mac, it opens a door for other game developers to better distribution of Mac games, so they might just get into Mac development too :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.