Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Master Fwiffo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
So, awhile back a game I'd been playing stopped working on my mac book - I think with a mac update. Try and plead as I might, searching the web for every solution, and I could not get it to work again. I gave in, figuring my computer was doomed to be 'too new' to play it.

Fast forward half a year to this week. For my brothers graduation, we get him a new macbook. He pulls it out, updates everything, and attempts to play the game. It works.

What.
The.
Hell.

I immediately go on a mad search for an update or something I must have missed, but all my efforts prove fruitless, nothing works. Reinstall of the game from the same disk he's using - nada. My brothers new Macbook is entirely up-to-date, and can play it. My macbook is entirely up-to-date, AND CAN NOT. What. The. Hell.

THE ERROR:
Drawsprocket cannot switch to the required resolution (640x480 16 bit, 1 buffer)

MY MACBOOK (Game Will Not Work):
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB31.008E.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.24f2

HIS MACBOOK (Game Works Fine and Dandy):
Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.38f5

HOW CAN I FIX THIS?

-edit-
A little more comparison work...

It appears his computer has an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. Mine has a Intel GMA X3100.

Brad Oliver

macrumors regular
May 14, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
It appears his computer has an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. Mine has a Intel GMA X3100.

And there it is. The GMA X3100 lacks 16-bit (and for that matter, 8-bit) color modes, so a game requiring that will fail. What you probably need to do is find some way to force the game to go to a 32-bit mode.

What game is it?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
He said the game used to work on his macbook, so obviously it was working at some point. I'd look into using emulators (or even Parallels / VMWare).

And what sodding game was it??? There are *quite a few* old games out there.

Master Fwiffo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds is the game. How can I force it into another color set?

jennyharris28

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
Ideas

First did you know there is a patch to fix the error you have?
I found it on apple's site SWGB 1.1.1 or whatever.... It list a very similar error to yours in the readme file.

Then I found that it does not work on Snow Leopard unless you hold down the option key while opening it and unchecking change resolution when playing movies and unchecking 256 color mode. Then it loads great and plays fine! I'll cry when it gets too old.

monstrousmuse

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
Same Problem

I have the exact same problem. My mac OS X 10.5.8 will not run Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, and the same exact message about drawsprocket appears. But I have the update! And the 1.1.1 update did absolutely nothing. I deselected the 256 colors and all, I downloaded the correct update for the extension I have, but it will not run. My computer does not give the option to change the display to thousands of colors. I suppose this has to do with the problem.

Here is my computer info:

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f0
Hardware UUID: C8FD6F01-0962-5441-ABA6-4A10599E7F2B
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I'd really like to get this game working. :'(

speedgoalie

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2014
How do I remove the files

I have been trying to make this game work and it is infuriating, because the game is so expensive now I really want to make this game work. I downloaded the update, but do not know where to locate the SWGB Preferences" or "SWGBCC Preferences" in System Folder->Preferences (or ~/Library/Preferences on OSX. I am so very confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.