Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I understand you can do this on a Mac. But, I'm on Windows Vista. Is there any way I can use it as a webcam on Windows? (As much as I would like OS-X)

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
i dont believe its possible on either..... if it is possibly on OSX... How?!?! please share!

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
well there is that application called QIK and it streams the video to their online site, i think qik.com it's pretty cool it's what i use.

don't know if this is even what you are looking for but it's the closest i can come up with :p

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Seems useful but will require a pretty wonky dock-type thing to set the phone up properly for a webcam.

lalcan

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Left of the center
One interesting possibility... both FTP Cam and PhoneCam can capture pictures from the iPhone and load them to an ftp server to be used as a website webcam, now, is there any way to convert this still pictures into a webcam feed and fool Skype for example into thinking this is a real webcam connected to the computer? perhaps the macam guys could make a driver to simulate it...

My two cents...

Lalcan

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
:rolleyes:

Just buy a $20 webcam

It will do what you want, perfectly, and the picture/framerate/ sound quality will be way better

marbo

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
:rolleyes:

Just buy a $20 webcam

It will do what you want, perfectly, and the picture/framerate/ sound quality will be way better

I hava 2 webcams, but its nice if i can use iPhone on my webcam. I can move on my wifi area. Thats sound nice but i think its isint possible?

Maybe that is possible when iPhone 3.0 versio relased and then can use with bluetooth? :p

Any one try this? I cant get that work for me. :/

Sorry my bad english.

wedding92

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
I myself havn't tried this before. But I am interested too to resolve this problem. Waiting to hear more

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
I hava 2 webcams, but its nice if i can use iPhone on my webcam. I can move on my wifi area. Thats sound nice but i think its isint possible?

Maybe that is possible when iPhone 3.0 versio relased and then can use with bluetooth? :p

Any one try this? I cant get that work for me. :/

Sorry my bad english.

5) A periscope mirror that reflects your iPhone camera image 180°.

sounds overly complicated

AKlrt

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
iPhoneCam

Whatever happened to this App by Ecamm? A lot of hype when first announced and now it has just disappeared. Did it fall into the App Store black hole?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
well there is that application called QIK and it streams the video to their online site, i think qik.com it's pretty cool it's what i use.

don't know if this is even what you are looking for but it's the closest i can come up with :p

Not sure why people just brushed this one off... This is a great solution to what you are discussing. Works great if you get it from Cydia.

wRek

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009
WA state.
I would be psyched even to have it so that I can video chat through Skype with my camera facing a mirror. My family lives in a different country, and it would be awesome if I could video chat with them through my iPhone so my daughter could see them whenever I call them, as opposed to just when I use my wife's Macbook.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I would be psyched even to have it so that I can video chat through Skype with my camera facing a mirror. My family lives in a different country, and it would be awesome if I could video chat with them through my iPhone so my daughter could see them whenever I call them, as opposed to just when I use my wife's Macbook.

That'd be a cool idea. Quik could do that but you wouldn't be able to get a stream in on your phone. The iPhone doesn't quite have the bandwidth to do 2-way streaming of video. If it's uploading video out it's not going to be able to pull in another stream.

You're best bet is likely the Macbook or using Quik for 1 way streaming to your family and finding another solution to stream video back to you.

musico

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008
Veency does the job... somehow.

Yeah, I tried using Qik.com but in most cases, WiFi is not available in my area so I opted looking for something else. And here's what I got.

I installed Veency (via Cydia). Open my webcam of the iPhone, and right then, I'll see what's on it. I can even control whatever I want to do with the iPhone remotely.

Perhaps it does not solve what really the asker's question, I'm just sharing this... It is not a webcam in a way.

oexel

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2002
I wrote an app that does something like turning your iphone into a webcam. It basically runs a web server which serves the preview from your iphone's camera to any web browser(pc or mac) via wifi or bluetooth at about 3fps and gives you the ability to capture full size images from the PC. If youre trying to use the iphone with other apps its not so useful though :p

In any case it's called Peephole. and you can find it here if interested:
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/artist/atom8/id344937544

Stagea

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
Since the number one result in Google for "use iphone as webcam" is this thread here, i thought it would be fitting to confirm that this method is possible without the use of Jailbreak AND is compatible with both Windows XP/Vista/7 and Mac OSX 10.4 or above. You will also need a wireless router connected to both your system and the iPhone.

NOTE: Does NOT work with iChat.

The application found in the Itunes Store is discreetly called "PocketCam" by Senstic and is purchasable for around $5USD (I'm in Australia so the price is $5.99)

After purchasing and installing you will need to install the drivers and configuration for your PC or Mac found HERE

For the Windows installation it may prompt you to install some drivers. Click "Continue Anyway" if prompted. You may also receive a prompt to install "Bonjour" service and must be installed if prompted.

All good to go! All support can be found HERE and the forums for user support found HERE

TIP: If you are having issues due to a firewall they are listed above - however it isn't noted that you can change its port with the configuration software. For windows users this can be found in Start->All Programs->Senstic->Pocketcam->Pocketcam Control under the "Settings" tab.

I am in no way affiliated with Senstic, this is purely just to generate interest for the MacRumors forum and to direct others who might already have sat around like me for an hour finding a solution to an otherwise simple problem. (Okay - maybe not that simple)

:)

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
If you want to use your iPhone as a webcam just for broadcasting, download the free ustream broadcaster application. You can few your broadcast on Ustream and share it if wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.