Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Curious how many here either subscribe to a home security service or have
created their own.

A few years ago I was with ADT for 1-2 years.
It was OK I guess.

Now we're in a different home and I'm looking again for a home system.
This time though, I want to have those DIY system.

What do you guys have?

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
oh yes
my apt has a very nice security system
paid for by taxpayer money
monitored 24/7
in case wondering, it has to do with my work.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
I remember a few years ago my dad had a metal ADT sign in the front. Just a sign :eek:.
Before someone says gun:

my penis.

My guns. Both my shotgun on my left bicep and my revolver on my right arm :D.

What? You never said anything about guns :p.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
I used to sell home security systems. ADT, Monitronix, APX. They're definitely worth having, but you don't always get what you pay for. The really expensive ones are a bit too expensive for what you get, but the really cheap monitoring services aren't always reliable in an emergency.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I have one of these door stop alarms that I use to block the back door. Here The door has a window and can easily be broken into. This thing is quite loud. I activated it by mistake once and a neighbor came out to see what the noise was about.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
I have it's called a baseball bat which is beside my bed. But i will be getting one by the end of the year. To many A holes breaking into cars / houses.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
yep, it's called my right arm with this in hand

14HAMCLAWSTAVIBE.gif

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
Well, if we're posting up weapons then I suppose I should put down my current piecemaker:

Springfield XD(M) 9mm loaded with 19 hollowpoint rounds. :D

82cs9ha1q.jpg

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Avoid (or at least be careful with) wireless security systems. My parents had one of those installed from a door-to-door alarm salesman (another red flag :rolleyes: ) And the sensor they put on the patio door was simply stuck on with two-sided sticky tape. Well one day they were on vacation and the tape decided to give out, causing the sensor to fall off the door. This of course triggered the alarm. They arrived home from their vacation to find their stuff all intact but with nice notes from the neighbors and a not-so-nice note from the police with a bill for the false alarm.

The fun part is, this scenario happened twice. With different sensors. At that point they gave up on the system entirely (which also saved them $30+/month).

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
Where do you live OP? Do you really need one? I live down a lane with only my house. No neighbours. No lighting. My car keys are in the ignition (so I know where they are at all times.) Same with the sit on mower. The house doors are never locked. Never been burgled.:)

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
I live outside Chicago.

I live in a nice neighborhood but still.
Better safe than sorry.

You in France?
France is going to get their butts kicked in the World Cup.;)

I'm trying to fly out for the US vs England game.
That is going to be a good game.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
I have a dog... she is useless though as someone can walk through the entire house and have killed someone before she realises if she is asleep in the lounge:mad: if she is in her bed in the passage though then she is alert :D

I also have a baseball bat and an Air Rifle (not allowed real guns in the nanny-state of ours :( I'm in UK)

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
That's a nice piece. You may make a pretty persuasive argument having a 9mm pointed at someone.

Thanks! I know there's the old debate about how 9mm doesn't have as much stopping power as a .45, but I'd rather have 19 rnds of 9mm than 8 rounds of .45 :D, and hollow point ammo works wonders.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Putting signs up is not a good idea because it tells possible thieves what system you have so they know how to bypass it. If you don't have one then it's that much easier for them to break in. It also tells them that you can afford a security system and that you probably have stuff worth stealing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.