Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I have a 2009 UniBody MBP. Quite often Macrumours stops working on my MBP and when I try to go onto the forum it won't connect (only the forum won't connect). If I restart my machine it works for about 10-15 mins then it won't connect till I restart again. I'm using the latest version of firefox on SL. I have tried resetting Firefox, emptying the cache, I've tried it on Safari as well but with the same result.

Does anyone know what could be wrong and how I could fix it?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I am not sure, but I have requested a Moderator to move this to the Site and Forum Feedback Forum. It is likely to get more attention from the Administrators there. If there is an issue just with MR then they will want to know it and address it.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Is the Mac Rumors forum the only site that won't connect? Other sites--or other forums--do they also cause problems? I've had similar issues from time to time and in every case it was indeed a network problem, in my case a problem on the cable system. Funny that often the problem is not with downloading data but uploading--something that can go unnoticed but can cause a real problem especially when robust handshaking is necessary. Maybe check your network speed using one of the online services--see if both download and upload are working within standards.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Have you done the obvious? Clear cache, reset Safari, delete cookies?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
When you say it won't connect is there any type of error in the browser window ?

Well down the bottom is says "connecting..." for ages, then eventually it times out and a browser error pops up and says "Firefox could not connect with the server at forums.macrumours". Same happens on Safari.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Is it possible for you to provide a screen shot ?

Sure, it looks like this for ages and ages, then the browser times out:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-07 at 11.32.16 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-07 at 11.32.16 AM.png
    328.8 KB · Views: 106

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Close all your tabs except the one connection to forums.macrumos.com then post a screenshot.

What I see is your browser connecting to tribalfusion not macrumors.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Close all your tabs except the one connection to forums.macrumos.com then post a screenshot.

What I see is your browser connecting to tribalfusion not macrumors.

It's probably some ad that is not loading. a.tribalfusion.com doesn't even load in my browser and could be the source of the problem. Maybe arn could block it entirely.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Ok here is a screenshot with only macrumours loading. By the way, I am replying to these posts via my MBP that is having the problem, though every 10-15 mins it stops working and I have to restart:(

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-07 at 11.49.22 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-07 at 11.49.22 AM.png
    313.9 KB · Views: 83

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It could be something simple like internet speed or it could be because your hard drive is running out of space. Re-booting releases the RAM cache.

How much memory do you have and how much is left on your hard drive?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It could be something simple like internet speed or it could be because your hard drive is running out of space. Re-booting releases the RAM cache.

How much memory do you have and how much is left on your hard drive?

I've got 4GB of RAM, and I've hardly used up any HD space since this computer is new.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Well I'm at a loss. It would seem if it were and advertising problem everybody would have the same problem.

Try repairing permissions.

I noticed you are connected via Airport. What router are you going through ?

Does the router assign IP's via DHCP and what is the lease time?

If the lease time were every 15-30 minutes that would explain it.
Try renewing your IP address in the network preference pane.

Also. How many people are connected to the router?

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
OP:

If you would please try the following we'll know if there really is a network connectivity issue present or not. (I doubt that there is since you say you can browse sites other than macrumors.com.)

Since you say you can connect to MacRumors.com but after a short while the pages don't load, so... once this problem occurs (the pages stop loading for you), go to:

Applications > Utilities > Network Utilities

After starting up Network Utilities (see pic below) perform the following steps:

1. Select on the "Ping" tab
2. Enter "macrumors.com" as the address to ping
3. Make sure "Send only 10 pings" is selected
4. Click the "Ping" button.
5. Post your results. Feel free to blank-out your IP# if you wish.

Attachments

• Picture 24.png
    Picture 24.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 78
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.