Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g2dam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
I have a 500G WD external HD, and I used Disk Utility to securely (35-pass) erase it. Now the I cannot do anything to the drive. Cannot erase or partition it. When I try disk utility says the task has "failed with the error: POSIX reports: The operation couldn’t be completed. Cannot allocate memory"

Before the drive would show on the desktop as, WD 5000BEV External Media, when I plugged it in. Now it has a message saying that "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." Then it gives me three options which are... Initialize, Ignore, Eject. When I click Initialize I am redirected to Disk Utility.

Also now in disk utility it says that it is a 2.2 TB WD Media opposed to WD 5000BEV External Media. How does it go from a 500g to a 2.2t It is unformatted and I do not know how to reformat it back to the it was.

Ty g2dam

XBOXerDOG

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
Soluce for posix !

OKi

THE SOLUCE:

Just have to reformat your hard drive with XP first (perharps again...) NTFS
then plug on your Mac WITH an FireWire, not USB
Open DiskUtility and re-format in HFS.

The problem with me come from a try of Paragon* application on my Mac, for instant access in read write delete on an external hard drive (coming from @#! XP user)

(*)a good good one but creating sometimes a message like read above forum when you want to use Disk Utilities to format.

After done, unmount your hard drive if you want to use USB connection or let Firewire in place.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.