Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richyscot1

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Derby, UK
Can anyone who ordered it give me an idea of how long it took you to receive it?

I live in the UK, and it took me nearly 3 months. Sounds like you're in the states, so can't really help you there.

Mine's now been running for nearly a year now, and is constantly on, and I have never (touch wood ;)) had any trouble with it at all :D I'm about 8Gb from filling my 500Gb drive up, so may be joining you, with the 640Gb...although am holding out for a 750Gb drive ;)

Best of luck with setting everything up

ps, two tips that have caused my drive to stop working throughout the year:

1) Make sure you wrap electrical insulation tape (or a suitable alternative) around the circuitry of the SATA adapter, it can (and has with me) touched other components within your Apple TV enclosure and caused the drive to stop working

2) Do the above to the drive itself...I had an incident a few months ago, where my Apple TV froze..As soon as I took my drive out of the Apple TV enclosure it burst into life again, so all I could assume was, it was some of the circuitry on the bottom of the drive that was shorting out. I insulated it using tape, and have never had the problem again

JBX74205

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
I live in the UK, and it took me nearly 3 months. Sounds like you're in the states, so can't really help you there.

Mine's now been running for nearly a year now, and is constantly on, and I have never (touch wood ;)) had any trouble with it at all :D I'm about 8Gb from filling my 500Gb drive up, so may be joining you, with the 640Gb...although am holding out for a 750Gb drive ;)

Best of luck with setting everything up

ps, two tips that have caused my drive to stop working throughout the year:

1) Make sure you wrap electrical insulation tape (or a suitable alternative) around the circuitry of the SATA adapter, it can (and has with me) touched other components within your Apple TV enclosure and caused the drive to stop working

2) Do the above to the drive itself...I had an incident a few months ago, where my Apple TV froze..As soon as I took my drive out of the Apple TV enclosure it burst into life again, so all I could assume was, it was some of the circuitry on the bottom of the drive that was shorting out. I insulated it using tape, and have never had the problem again

Thanks for the tips! Those should come in pretty handy. I am in the States actually, so the fact that it took that long when it says 7-10 days for Europe kind of concerns me. Have you found anything else that works similarly that is available from another manufacturer? I'd hate to sit and wait for that long.

Thanks for the fast reply btw!

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks for the tips! Those should come in pretty handy. I am in the States actually, so the fact that it took that long when it says 7-10 days for Europe kind of concerns me. Have you found anything else that works similarly that is available from another manufacturer? I'd hate to sit and wait for that long.

Thanks for the fast reply btw!

Hello! I wouldn't worry. I ordered two of those adapters from Brando the other day and received them last night. I would say that it took about six or seven days to arrive in California. The cables I received in a few days from CPUStuff. I'll be doing a 640GB upgrade this weekend.

I'm a bit concerned about the whole "wrap the hard drive in tape" solution. Can anyone think of a more elegant solution? Is there a non-conductive material that could simply be placed between the harddrive and the guts of the AppleTV?

Thanks, everyone.

Nathan

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
Hello Everyone,

I could use a hand...

I can't get it all to fit without the AppleTV's plastic top (with Apple logo on it) bulging up (640GB + SATA Adapter + 8inch Cable). It's really crammed in there! Can someone give me a tip as to how I can get this thing put back together without doing internal or external damage?

Thanks!

Nathan

JBX74205

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I could use a hand...

I can't get it all to fit without the AppleTV's plastic top (with Apple logo on it) bulging up (640GB + SATA Adapter + 8inch Cable). It's really crammed in there! Can someone give me a tip as to how I can get this thing put back together without doing internal or external damage?

Thanks!

Nathan

Hey Nathan! Thanks for the reassurance on the adapter! Mine shipped on the 27th...which was this past Saturday so it's only been a week. Hopefully it'll be here next week like yours was.

What specific problem are you running into with everything fitting? Maybe try to tie the cables with one of those little plastic twist ties to prevent them from bunching up? When I do my upgrade I'll let you know how it goes for me. Hopefully I can help.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
Success! Though not without snags...

I managed to get everything in there in such a way that the topside bulge is at a minimum. One thing I discovered: wire ties won't fit. There's truly no room to spare with this adapter. And as a matter of fact, the SATA/Power cable proves to be more problematic than the adapter.

Someone noted earlier in this thread that the adapter needs to be wrapped in a non-conductive tape to avoid shorting things out. I did this and it worked. But after about 15 minutes the Apple TV froze and upon rebooting it flashed the question mark graphic. After a great deal of methodic testing, I determined that the adapter had failed! Being the boyscout that I am (actually, I never was), however, I had a spare adapter on hand (purchased two for just this scenario) and replaced the defective one. This time, rather than wrapping the adapter in tape, I simply used the tape to secure it in place; providing a thin, non-conductive film between the adapter and the metal bottom of the Apple TV. I've been stress testing the system all day with the installed 640GB drive and all is well. I'll be watching a high-def movie tomorrow to ensure heat doesn't throw a wrench into things.

One little note (and question): The adapter purchased from Brando had an extra pin tht doesn't fit in the IDE cable. IDE doesn't seem to utilize that lead, so I broke it off. Is that what others have done? It seemed to work!

Pardon any typos...This is from my phone. I'll post some pics later this weekend.

Nathan

MoTo77

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2007
Is there some reason that you guys don't want to just use the external USB connector? There are lots of pages describing how to use the USB port to add an external HD to the ATV, all of which are MUCH easier than what you have described above. Plus you can use much bigger (and cheaper) 3.5" drives.

There is another advantage to using the external USB port other than size and price: You can connect the external drive to another computer and download movies easier.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Is there some reason that you guys don't want to just use the external USB connector? There are lots of pages describing how to use the USB port to add an external HD to the ATV, all of which are MUCH easier than what you have described above. Plus you can use much bigger (and cheaper) 3.5" drives.

Some people want just the Apple TV without anything attached to it. The flash drive method is a bit problematic for some people - I've tried three different flash drives and have failed each time at the unmount step. An internal drive will be much faster than a USB drive for ff/rew. Plus, you don't break the OS when there's a new ATV update.

There is another advantage to using the external USB port other than size and price: You can connect the external drive to another computer and download movies easier.

That's kind of inconvenient.

richyscot1

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Derby, UK
Some people want just the Apple TV without anything attached to it. The flash drive method is a bit problematic for some people - I've tried three different flash drives and have failed each time at the unmount step. An internal drive will be much faster than a USB drive for ff/rew. Plus, you don't break the OS when there's a new ATV update.

Exactly right. My Apple TV looks exactly as Apple intended it...it is a nice, tiny and easy to carry unit. I personally didn't want drives attached externally, as I like the 'self-contained' nature of the Apple TV straight out of the box.

The main reason though, is as Cave man has said above....the OS doesn't need to be tweaked every time Apple bring out an update ;) My Apple TV is exactly as Apple intended it, in both form and with the software it uses, except for one thing...it's bigger :D

JBX74205

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
One little note (and question): The adapter purchased from Brando had an extra pin tht doesn't fit in the IDE cable. IDE doesn't seem to utilize that lead, so I broke it off. Is that what others have done? It seemed to work!

Hey Nathan. Glad to hear you got everything working! Couple of questions...Is it necessary to break this pin off? Which pin was it?

If you could post those pics, that would be great!

Thanks,

JBX

MoTo77

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2007
Exactly right. My Apple TV looks exactly as Apple intended it...it is a nice, tiny and easy to carry unit. I personally didn't want drives attached externally, as I like the 'self-contained' nature of the Apple TV straight out of the box.

The main reason though, is as Cave man has said above....the OS doesn't need to be tweaked every time Apple bring out an update ;) My Apple TV is exactly as Apple intended it, in both form and with the software it uses, except for one thing...it's bigger :D

I suppose form is fine, though you can buy a matching external drive now that looks very nice (Iomega MiniMax).

So you don't run Boxee or any other external software on it then, I guess?

Anyway, I'm not criticizing, to each his own. I just wish these things were better at playing video from the internet. I probably get about 5 frames per second on Boxee which is really annoying. I was searching for info about that and found this thread.

That's kind of inconvenient.

Totally disagree, but you are welcome to your opinion of course.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
Hey Nathan. Glad to hear you got everything working! Couple of questions...Is it necessary to break this pin off? Which pin was it?

If you could post those pics, that would be great!

Thanks,

JBX

Is it necessary? That's a fantastic question! I can tell you this...There's no way to make it fit otherwise (though it did make me question whether or not I had purchased the correct adapter). Check it out...

4415467009_fe6a610fc0.jpg

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I can tell you this...There's no way to make it fit otherwise (though it did make me question whether or not I had purchased the correct adapter)

Or you could punch a pin hole in the IDE socket in the same place that the pin is going to fit in. That's the way I went, saves potentially damaging the adapter.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
I suppose form is fine, though you can buy a matching external drive now that looks very nice (Iomega MiniMax).

Just don't put it on or under the ATV, or you'll get overheat issues.

So you don't run Boxee or any other external software on it then, I guess?

No, Boxee's kind of anemic, IYAM.

Anyway, I'm not criticizing, to each his own.

The SATA or eSATA hack is about an hour or two one-time investment with no other time committment thereafter. The patchstick method (when it works) is something that has to be done after every ATV OS update (unless things have changed in the last year). For the improved speed of the drive (and you're not limited on space with eSATA) and OEM ATV experience it suites me better.

Totally disagree, but you are welcome to your opinion of course.

It is more inconvenient to disconnect the drive. I've done it enough times to know.

JBX74205

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Or you could punch a pin hole in the IDE socket in the same place that the pin is going to fit in. That's the way I went, saves potentially damaging the adapter.

I think I may take this approach. An IDE cable is much easier to replace if it gets messed up than the adapter. =) What did you use to punch the hole in the cable if you don't mind my asking.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
Well, sure! I suppose the thumb tack solution would work too...But where's the risk?! Where's the danger?! Where's the excitement?! ;)

Sometimes the easiest solutions escape me. Damn.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all of the guidance.

Question: What material (specifically) are people using to insulate the SATA adapter in order to prevent it from shorting out when in contact with the AppleTV's aluminum bottom? I used a nylon electrical tape that's supposedly rated for high heat. I ran three thin strips of tape between the power supply and CPU fan (is that what that is?) securing and insulating the SATA adapter between (right on top of the wireless card). Any other ideas?

JBX74205

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Is this the 90 degree SATA adapter others have mentioned in the past? What prevents it from being a possible solution for PATA to SATA inside the AppleTV?

UADAP001800_02_L.jpg

Maybe just the orientation of the cables when they're plugged in?

BTW...my adapter arrived this afternoon. I'm going to see what I can do with it tonight!

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Is this the 90 degree SATA adapter others have mentioned in the past? What prevents it from being a possible solution for PATA to SATA inside the AppleTV?

The power supply is elevated above the 44-pin connector on the ATV, so this adapter would only fit if it protruded in the correct direction. If it goes the other way, then the PS would be in the way and it wouldn't seat. I can't tell from the photo which direction it would need to go. Even if it fit, there's still the possibility that it wouldn't permit booting.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
The power supply is elevated above the 44-pin connector on the ATV, so this adapter would only fit if it protruded in the correct direction. If it goes the other way, then the PS would be in the way and it wouldn't seat. I can't tell from the photo which direction it would need to go. Even if it fit, there's still the possibility that it wouldn't permit booting.

I too am unable to determine the correct orientation of this adapter in relation to the AppleTV's PATA connector. The power supply would indeed prohibit installation in one direction.

If, however, the adapter is to sit the other way, it seems as though it might work. I'm willing to purchase it and give it a try, but I'm curious as to what might happen if inserted "backwards." There's obviously some power running through these wires...Any chance of causing permanent damage to the AppleTV power supply?

Nathan

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I can't update with the ATV either, so I just download the disk image and put it onto my ATV drive. Others report having no update problems, though. I've used both a manual build of the hard drive and ATV Cloner, both with the same result.

Will I encounter this update problem if I simply upgrade to a larger PATA hard drive in the AppleTV, or is this issue isolated to SATA adapters and the eSATA mod?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.