Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
Hi guys,

My macbook pro is almost a year old now (not quite) and I take care of the battery. I was showing my cousin some photos having only just taken it off the mains power. The battery was 97% and then it just died and wouldn't turn on.

I plugged it into the mains and it booted back up but now the battery reads 0% and isn't increasing.... any ideas?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Have Apple check it out
If you live close enough to an Apple Store, take it to the Genius Bar

Since it less than a year old, you are still under warranty

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
Open System Profiler, look under Power
Does it say Battery Condition "Normal"
Copy and paste the Power info on here, we'll take a look
(While the Mac is plugged into the charger)

But previous poster is right, you're under warranty so can get a new one. But maybe we can save some hassle by diagnosing the problem

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
Sorry, yes. I think it goes "Good" > "Normal" > "Check Battery" > "Replace Battery"

Post the battery info here, especially the 4 digit mA numbers, we should see a + number like 1000 mA showing the charger is delivering current to the battery

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
Cheers for the replies!

right... funny things going on, with a combination of plugging in and unplugging the power connector a couple of times and rebooting the battery percentage has come back and it's working as normal again.

the battery stats (not fully charged, it's 69% at the mo and not plugged in as I'm trying to run it down to recalibrate):

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 2989
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4241
Health Information:
Cycle count: 81
Condition: Normal

Any ideas as to what's going on? Think this was an isolated goof or should I get apple to look at it anyway in case it's something on the way out? I've just got a new job in switzerland which makes getting home to the apple store a bit more tricky but I'm sure it can be done.

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
I would not worry about it.
If you went to the Apple Store, the chances are you would not be able to reproduce the behaviour. They would (rightly) say "can't see anything wrong"
And you would have wasted your time.

It sounds like a glitch in the battery logic or the interface to the Mac's logic board. Hopefully just a one-off.

The only alternative I can think of is that your battery completely shorted out. If that had happened, I doubt your Mac would have survived, and you might be on your way to hospital now. Certainly your battery would not charge

Note the date that your warranty expires, and make sure you are happy with the battery before that date - do lots of plugging/unplugging and work the battery hard, to see if you can make it do it again while under warranty.

mac88

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA.
Sorry, yes. I think it goes "Good" > "Normal" > "Check Battery" > "Replace Battery"

Post the battery info here, especially the 4 digit mA numbers, we should see a + number like 1000 mA showing the charger is delivering current to the battery

This is what mine is showing:
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 4087
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4087
Health Information:
Cycle count: 656
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 165
Voltage (mV): 12577

Thanks for taking a look. To the OP, I didn't mean to steal your thread. I saw your question and realized that I had the same.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
I would not worry about it.
If you went to the Apple Store, the chances are you would not be able to reproduce the behaviour. They would (rightly) say "can't see anything wrong"
And you would have wasted your time.

It sounds like a glitch in the battery logic or the interface to the Mac's logic board. Hopefully just a one-off.

The only alternative I can think of is that your battery completely shorted out. If that had happened, I doubt your Mac would have survived, and you might be on your way to hospital now. Certainly your battery would not charge

Note the date that your warranty expires, and make sure you are happy with the battery before that date - do lots of plugging/unplugging and work the battery hard, to see if you can make it do it again while under warranty.

Pax - cheers for the input!

Mac88, no worries bud

jaysinnva

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
I would definitely just calibrate it a couple times. I've been doing that due to a service battery warning, and my battery went from 64% health to 84%, and it only has 93 cycles. I also reset the SMC for good measure. It's acting much better now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.