Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kicks66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Im on OS X, using an external 500gb hard drive. Its partitioned into 3 parts. I use two parts, one of which is formatted in NTFS. I use ParagonNTFS to read/write to that section. I deleted a large number of files from the drive recently, but when I go to empty the trash the computer crashes (showing the semi transparent screen asking to turn off the computer). Ive tried putting the files back, but this just copies them from the trash, does not remove them. Any ideas as to how to delete these files?

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
You could try opening Terminal and entering

rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

If that doesn't work you could try

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

kicks66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
No luck :(

Oh another thing perhaps to be mentioned, the files will only show up when I view trash in any view except Icon View, which is slightly odd.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Try holding the Option key as you choose Empty Trash from the Finder menu.

If that doesn't work, enter

ls -al ~/.Trash

in Terminal. What output does that produce?

kicks66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
The output produced from using that command is:

Code:
total 32
drwx------  11 Nick  staff    374 13 Apr 21:48 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 34 Nick  staff   1156 12 Apr 18:06 ..
-rw-------@  1 Nick  staff  15364 12 Apr 21:40 .DS_Store
drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin    102 12 Apr 21:26 CheckUp 2 Install.pkg
drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin    102 12 Apr 21:34 CheckUp 2 Install.pkg 21-40-16-885.pkg
drwxr-xr-x   3 Nick  staff    102 12 Apr 21:24 CheckUp.app
drwxr-xr-x   3 Nick  staff    102 12 Apr 21:27 CheckUp.app 21-28-47-560.app
drwxr-xr-x   3 Nick  staff    102 12 Apr 21:29 CheckUp.app 21-33-18-736.app
drwxr-xr-x   3 Nick  staff    102 12 Apr 21:34 CheckUp.app 21-40-16-793.app
drwx------   4 Nick  staff    136 12 Apr 21:56 Recovered files
drwxr-xr-x   3 Nick  staff    102 13 Feb 22:43 Transmission (7886).app

Any help?

desionalpha

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
same problem

i am having this exact same problem. i have a slightly larger drive than your situation (700gb) but everything else is the same. hardrive is ntfs, multiple partitions, using paragon in snow leopard and every time i try to empty my trash i am crashing and being prompted to reboot! has anyone found a solution????

lepaux

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
If you want to simply empty the trash, reboot holding the shift key until the load bar appears on the boot screen. Then simply empty the trash, should work.

The question is, why is this happening?

kilgo

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Problem Solved

Hi all,

I was having the same issue where I deleted a lot of files on my NTFS partition but when I tried to empty the Trash it would crash my computer. I carried out the following fix and it worked a treat, no more problems:

1. Bootup to your main Windows Partition
2. Open up the drive that contained the files that you deleted.
3. Go to Folder options and view hidden folders.
4. Find folder called .Trash
5. Change Ownership to your Login using Security Permissions.
6. Delete folder.
7. Restart computer to MAC OS and your Trash will be clean.

Ripley58

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Trash Crash w/500GB Ext Drive using Paragon NFTS

Same problem with my Seagate 500GB GoFlex ext drive. Looked all over for solution to this problem but nothing worked. Tried option key, manually with Terminal, etc.
I finally found solution....someone on another forum mentioned it could be a problem re: Mac not playing well with Paragon software that comes with some of these drives. Thinking it may be an issue on the Windows side, I took the ext drive from my Mac and went to my PC to see if I could delete the offending files that wouldn't erase on my Mac and crashed on me when I tried to get rid of them in Trash.
I connected the drive to my PC. It took a minute or so, but then recognized the 500GB drive. The offending file(s) that caused the problems on the Mac (and that I couldn't get rid of in Trash) were gone. I didn't even have to dump them into the Recycle bin on the PC. Double checked on my Mac, and poof! :confused:, they are indeed gone. FYI, I used this drive for a project the last couple weeks where I was moving between Windows and Mac editing computers transferring psd/mov files, so that must have caused the problem I guess. Hope this late post helps someone eventually......;)

johnny42

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
more help

My Trash was jammed with hundreds of GB of items I moved to Trash from my HD. They needed to be deleted from my HD once I moved them to my Mac. When I ejected the hard drive at the Finder level and peered inside Trash, it was empty. What I'll do is move the files to a newly created folder on the HD and delete them once connected to a Windows machine. Once the HD is empty, i'll reformat for Mac. For me, this is the simplest solution. ;)

pandaporkchop

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
I had this issue as well

I found that there were non English characters (Chinese in my case) for some of the files in my Trash. I went into the shell and manually removed these files by doing the following:

rm ~/.Trash/測*

Then once the files were removed I was able to empty the trash in the GUI with no problem.

Hope this helps!

:D

Reactions: Carlouche

Carlouche

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2022
I have the same problem my HDD formated in NTFS and use Mounty without issue I was thinking it came from my new iMac M1 but have the same thing on my old MacBook pro.
I try to delete an mp3 song to see if it happens and no matter the file and it crashes also, pink screen and reboot.

After many attempts, I try "better trash" app to see if it can help and crashed again but give me a trash info source and also the possibility of putting back the trash files on the HDD which I was no longer be able to do with the mac trash bin.

Well this did not solve my problem but after getting my trash files back at the origin location, I try to plug my HDD directly into my Android phone and from there I was able to delete all the files I want without any issue using the USB paragon exFAT/NTFS voila not the best solution I know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.