Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
i might sell my 3gs with 3.1.2, untethered jb using blackra1n... iphone with 3.1.2 and untethered jb might be move "valuable" then others... so the question is how can i erase all data without having to restore....i dont have many apps downloaded, only some free games, and none of the paid ones. i can delete all my mail accounts, but will it wipe all emails/contacts?

thanks in advance

blackwind

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
You can go in GENERAL and RESET/ERASE your datas there... but most of the time my phone FROZEN like crazy..... I have own way.

First if you have another iphone backup in ur itune and restore backup from that phone. so it freshly...

Maybe someone like to share their way of doing it

Cheers

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
i might sell my 3gs with 3.1.2, untethered jb using blackra1n... iphone with 3.1.2 and untethered jb might be move "valuable" then others... so the question is how can i erase all data without having to restore....i dont have many apps downloaded, only some free games, and none of the paid ones. i can delete all my mail accounts, but will it wipe all emails/contacts?

thanks in advance

If you have saved your SHSH blobs, why not just restore it to 3.1.2, then use Redsn0w to re-JB. Won't really take very long and much safer to do than any of the data erase options which can really throw your phone into a loop. Choose set up as new.

That's what I have done for all the iPhones I have sold.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Personally, I would Erase All Content And Settings. This will wipe your phone clean, of everything. Then restore your phone with 3.1.2 (using Saurik's method's I'd suppose), and jailbreak and unlock after you have set up as a new device.

The above will ensure that no data could be recovered from your iPhone. :) If you perform steps otherwise, anything you have done previously on the device could potentially be recovered by the new purchaser.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Personally, I would Erase All Content And Settings. This will wipe your phone clean, of everything. Then restore your phone with 3.1.2 (using Saurik's method's I'd suppose), and jailbreak and unlock after you have set up as a new device.

The above will ensure that no data could be recovered from your iPhone. :) If you perform steps otherwise, anything you have done previously on the device could potentially be recovered by the new purchaser.

Works if you have your SHSH on file...otherwise not. Besides...do you think anyone's really interested in your SMS? As always, the best security is the world's indifference to your data.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Works if you have your SHSH on file...otherwise not. Besides...do you think anyone's really interested in your SMS? As always, the best security is the world's indifference to your data.

Correct, hence my note on Saurik's methods. :) I wouldn't interested in anything. But a malicious person could want SMS's, passwords, banking info, GPS info, etc.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
only if i had shsh saved... i would have not even asked this question... so without shsh, and with no restore possibility, how can i safely delete all data? just delete manually all the stuff?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
only if i had shsh saved... i would have not even asked this question... so without shsh, and with no restore possibility, how can i safely delete all data? just delete manually all the stuff?

You don't. :) If you manually delete, deleted files are still there and someone like myself could have a field day getting back any pictures of you, screenshots of your bank account, SMS messages, GPS coordinates, keyboard cache, etc. I'd assume most would not want to recover this, but some may try it just for "giggles" to see what they can find on a "new" phone.

There's is one other option I just thought of, download this:
http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?page_id=407

Delete all your mail, accounts, SMS, everything you can think of, then run that app. Might actually do the trick. :)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Just restore to a custom 3.1.2 firmware and set up as a new phone. It's not perfect, but it is the best you can do without locking your phone and making it unjailbreakable. And, really, it's good enough for most purposes. I'm assuming you don't store your top-secret nuclear weapons plans on your phone...

sparky20

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2010
Maybe this will suffice.-iwipe-

I am currently in the same position and have found no solution. (add repository called NERV at http://cmdshft.ipwn.me/apt/ ) - iWipe-this program should erase anything left behind after you manually erase( they say it is like a low level format of all free space). This may be the closest you will find and should be totally safe. And also preserve your jailbreak. I believe you need to erase your emails and also log out itunes or any such programs- that are native- and will stay on phone. Maybe even contacts before you iwipe. If you or anyone reading this can see a flaw to this idea please email me at randyschaffer20@gmail.com. I will soon try this and if I'm wrong I would like to know.:eek::apple::eek: P.S. If anyone thinks this will work email me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.