Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Ive been looking around the internet for a few hours now and can not find a thing that works. let me explain my set up. Im running a mac mini with the client version of 10.6 and I have a folder that I share with my friends to transfer files between each other. They Connect to it from there homes by command k and enter the ip address and prompts them to log in with the user name and password i gave them. now on my mac mini i have sharing only account for them to log in with everything works great except that i can not for the life of me find an way to see who is connect to the server. I just want an easy way to monitor what user is connect a list a log a widget something. It seems like such a easy thing but i cant find anything.

please any ideas

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You can see how many users are connected via AFP:

Open Sharing Preferences
Highlight File Sharing
Click Options
Under AFP: "Number of users connected: X"

You could use:

Code:
netstat -f inet -n | grep ".port"

Where port is the port of the service being used. For example 548 for AFP, or 139 or 445 for SMB. The command will return the IP of connected clients.

There is also some software here:
http://xeir.com/

xAFP, xSMB

dashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
thanks for the reply i figure that out im looking for something that say who is connect like a list of there user names that are logged in. i says that there are 7 users logged in but i only created 4 sharing account so i want to find out where and who the other users are coming from to make sure im not running a security risk

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
thanks for the reply i figure that out im looking for something that say who is connect like a list of there user names that are logged in. i says that there are 7 users logged in but i only created 4 sharing account so i want to find out where and who the other users are coming from to make sure im not running a security risk

I would try the tools I linked to as they may give more information.

dashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
the xafp app seems to to the trick thanks so much the extra log ins were multiple log in for my laptop for time machine backup to a drive i have plugged in to it. some one need to make a widget or i need to upgrade to the server software lol

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I forgot to mention that AFP does write out a log which will give you what you want:

/Library/Logs/AppleFileService/AppleFileServiceAccess.log

This is accessible via Console as well. This is probably the method xAFP is using.

dashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
so updates xafp work but is terrible inaccurate it list 7 current users but under file shareing options in sys pref there 2. it will work for now but im open to other ideas. and does osx server give there info im looking for and is there a way to get the server tool to work on the client

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Yes, OS X server will give you what you are looking for. However, I know of no way to get Server Admin to connect to OS X client and report that information to you.

You can download the server tools from Apple. However, if you enter localhost, or the address of a client OS Server Admin will not connect.

You would be best served by looking at the logs unless you want to spend a lot of time of trying to get Server Admin to report the details to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.