Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Okay,

You've got the iPad Dock keyboard and a normal iPad dock. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the normal iPad dock but I will also need a keyboard.

The Apple site tells me you can also use bluetooth keyboards (which I don't have at home).

Now I thought that it might be better to buy the bluetooth keyboard. Than I will just put the iPad on the normal iPad dock and I will use the bluetooth keyboard to type stuff.

Now the bluetooth keyboard and the special iPad Dock Keyboard have the same price except there's one difference: the iPad Dock Keyboard isn't wireless but it's also a dock at the same time.

So, what to do?

Buy a wireless bluetooth keyboard or buy the connected iPad Dock Keyboard?
And what are you going to do?

JimmyTheKnife

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Oregon, USA
...Buy a wireless bluetooth keyboard or buy the connected iPad Dock Keyboard?
And what are you going to do?

I ordered the plain dock because I had the same questions you have. Before I make the decision on a keyboard, I'd have to know if the top row 'special keys' will work on the bluetooth keyboard. That would be a dealbreaker if they don't.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Get the BT keyboard and the iPad dock normal. While you will pay a bit more for it, you will also have a nice smaller charging dock/slideshow picture frame. The Keyboard dock just seems less practical. Also think about portability. You can take the BT keyboard and iPad with you anywhere, even the dock too which is less cumbersome, but the keyboard dock looks much harder to transport.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
$30 for a dock seems a bit ridiculous to me. I'm going to wait and see what third party accessories come along in the next couple months.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
$30 for a dock seems a bit ridiculous to me. I'm going to wait and see what third party accessories come along in the next couple months.
The +$130 for 3G too. But I'm willing to pay $30 for the very first original iPad Dock.

Get the BT keyboard and the iPad dock normal. While you will pay a bit more for it, you will also have a nice smaller charging dock/slideshow picture frame. The Keyboard dock just seems less practical. Also think about portability. You can take the BT keyboard and iPad with you anywhere, even the dock too which is less cumbersome, but the keyboard dock looks much harder to transport.
It's just the keyboard issue. I was also thinking about the fact that the bluetooth is more portable (it would also be more easy to use, as you can put it on your legs or somewhere else). Do you know if you also can use the bluetooth keyboard with other systems (like, for example, the PS3)?

I ordered the plain dock because I had the same questions you have. Before I make the decision on a keyboard, I'd have to know if the top row 'special keys' will work on the bluetooth keyboard. That would be a dealbreaker if they don't.
Yea, indeed. I also would like to know that.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I don't like the look of the Apple Dock + Keyboard. To me it looks like I'd be sitting far too close to the iPad to be comfortable. I'd rather use a bluetooth one and set the iPad further back on the desk. Plus, I already have several bluetooth keyboards. :)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Well, than the decision is easy made (wireless, bluetooth) except for one small thing: do the special icons (on the iPad Keyboard Dock) also work on the bluetooth keyboard?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I got the case, which doubles as a stand, no dock (can just plug it in with the included AC adaptor and a $2 USB-dock connector cable), and have an Apple BT keyboard now... so that's my answer. The iPad docks vertically which seems a little odd, compared to most monitor setups. Might work well for a small screen with software designed to be used that way, but it's nice to have the option and not be locked into one or the other.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
I got the case, which doubles as a stand, no dock (can just plug it in with the included AC adaptor and a $2 USB-dock connector cable), and have an Apple BT keyboard now... so that's my answer. The iPad docks vertically which seems a little odd, compared to most monitor setups. Might work well for a small screen with software designed to be used that way, but it's nice to have the option and not be locked into one or the other.
Wow, didn't think of this! I will buy both the case and the standard iPad dock, and I will choose for the bluetooth keyboard. You're right. I don't want to be locked to the portrait mode.

And oh, no need of buying a Dock to USB cable. Quote from Apple's website;

In the box
- iPad
- Dock Connector to USB Cable
- 10W USB Power Adapter
- Documentation

So that should be fine. So the accessoires I will buy:

- The case
- Standard iPad Dock
- Bluetooth Apple Keyboard

EDIT: I can't seem to find the Bluetooth Keyboard at the Apple site anymore. Anyone got a url (keyboard which IS compatibly with the iPad)?

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
I have decided to wait on the keyboard stuff.. I like the idea of a wireless keyboard via bluetooth, but then what if I want to sync up something else via bluetooth like headphones etc?? And for my purposes if I really need to do that much typing then I will just pull out my MacBook.. I'm sure the keyboard is a good idea for some people though..

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Just to throw another option in...

I'm planning to get Apple's iPad case; that way I can protect the screen and I've got a convenient way of propping the iPad up should I want to. It might even raise the virtual keyboard up enough on it's own to make the typing I want to do acceptable.

If it doesn't the next question is, does the iPad case let you plug it into the dock? I can't be sure either way from looking at the photos but there does look like there is a gap behind the dock connector port.

Edit: Looks like mrgreen4242 beat me to it :)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
I have decided to wait on the keyboard stuff.. I like the idea of a wireless keyboard via bluetooth, but then what if I want to sync up something else via bluetooth like headphones etc?? And for my purposes if I really need to do that much typing then I will just pull out my MacBook.. I'm sure the keyboard is a good idea for some people though..
I'm think you will be able to connect with more than 1 item to the iPad.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
I don't like the look of the Apple Dock + Keyboard. To me it looks like I'd be sitting far too close to the iPad to be comfortable. I'd rather use a bluetooth one and set the iPad further back on the desk. Plus, I already have several bluetooth keyboards. :)

???

Have you used a laptop? Did you find the screen too close to be comfortable?

Remember this screen is tiny, smaller than a macbooks. You need to sit close if you plan to see much.

Obviously if you already have BT keyboard it is a no brainer, but if I get a keyboard at all, it would probably be the dock version. It charges, it holds the screen upright and IMO keeps it close where it needs to be, and the most economical solution as I would skip the regular dock.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
???

Have you used a laptop? Did you find the screen too close to be comfortable?

Remember this screen is tiny, smaller than a macbooks. You need to sit close if you plan to see much.

Obviously if you already have BT keyboard it is a no brainer, but if I get a keyboard at all, it would probably be the dock version. It charges, it holds the screen upright and IMO keeps it close where it needs to be, and the most economical solution as I would skip the regular dock.
But I'm going to have the regular dock :p

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Connected. It doubles as a dock and you can plug it into the wall while your iPad is docked onto it.

Plus I find it's more effective for extensive note taking than an onscreen keyboard. :)

Costs as much as the BT keyboard too.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Connected. It doubles as a dock and you can plug it into the wall while your iPad is docked onto it.

Plus I find it's more effective for extensive note taking than an onscreen keyboard. :)

Costs as much as the BT keyboard too.
Yea, but I'm not going to plug it in all the time and as I said before. I will also buy the regular dock. Next to that I also want to able to use it in landscape mode :p

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I already own the BT keyboard, so it's an easy choice for me.
However, inside my geek-world of a mind (which is always thinking about this stuff, lol) I have visions of a few months down the line where I can have my iPad set up with a really nice, futuristic little mini-desktop look. Who knows what third-party accessories there will be for that. But in any event my vision includes a BT keyboard.

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
It looks like the iPad keyboard dock has 14 buttons "above the numbers". That's the same as my BT keyboard. I assume my BT keyboard will be able to do the same things as the iPad dock keyboard. :confused:

It will be interesting though to see how it works though. Most of the same function buttons appear to be in the same place (playback controls & volume) on both. The exception appears to be the screen brightness buttons.

It's not a deal breaker for me though. I figure I can use the screen for any functionality that may be missing with the function keys.

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Count me in for the case plus bluetooth keyboard.

It seems the keyboard dock would really only be beneficial to keep plugged in on a desk. That does not address my mobile needs. At least half the time I will be using my keyboard of choice in a non-desk situation: on the couch, reclining in bed, and most often in a theater seat taking notes (I'm a director). Instead of trying to balance the keyboard dock so the ipad doesn't fall off, I imagine the bluetooth keyboard on my lap and ipad in case, on the seat next to me or anywhere in eyesight. Could even walk around with the bluetooth keyboard, to the lighting table or sound board and still jot down some notes as long as I'm still in range. Plus, BT keyboard is slimmer (probably lighter) and I don't need a dock when I can use the case as a stand (in landscape also, which is more appealing to me for slide shows, move watching, really anything you'd want to with your iPad while it is parked on a table - while portrait is preferable for walking around.)

Seems like a no-brainer for me as far as convenience and mobility.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Or you can just wait for jailbreak and Veency and pay $0.

You can use your mouse with Veency, too :)

Veency can be used in tunnel mode thru usb... fyi

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
The separate dock and bluetooth keyboard seems like a logical setup for me. More money? Yeah. However you can bring the keyboard with you and use the case as a stand if you wanted, or use the dock to use it as a picture frame and avoid having a keyboard stuck infront of it.

But I am having one thing I am having a hard time imaging... navigation. So you are typing away at an email using the BT keyboard and boom, I want to send it. What do I do? Reach up and tap send? Press tab a few times to highlight Send? Hot key? This all seems so strange without a cursor to navigate. Same goes with web browsing. Say I am typing a comment on MacRumors with the BT keyboard. Do I need to manually press Submit Reply, then undock the iPad so I can comfortably browse the site then redock to type another comment with the keyboard? This seems like a strange process.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Or you can just wait for jailbreak and Veency and pay $0.

You can use your mouse with Veency, too :)

Veency can be used in tunnel mode thru usb... fyi

While running a VNC server on a iPhone/iPad seems kind of cool I can't see what the practical use of it is. If I'm sat at a Windows/Mac machine I'd be using the applications installed on that machine; not the Apps on my iPad.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
While running a VNC server on a iPhone/iPad seems kind of cool I can't see what the practical use of it is. If I'm sat at a Windows/Mac machine I'd be using the applications installed on that machine; not the Apps on my iPad.
Um plenty.
-I use it at work to have beejive open, since our work intranet doesn't allow IM apps or connectivity to IM networks
-Use it when I'm texting a LOT. Keyboard really comes handy
-Use apps I prefer to Windows equivalents, but can't use because I have Windows (ie: Colloquy)
-Practice kanji strokes with my wacom - i like the iphone character recognition a lot
-iPad: The device lets me move my personal stuff (like my writing) out of my work laptop. Veency lets me access all that thru a keyboard/mouse.

... if I was to buy a separate keyboard, it would have to be something ultra compact and transportable.

The Apple offerings are as good as Veency, since with the bulk you'll probably have them in the same location as your PC or laptop anyway.

Except Veency's free.

Veency's also good for a lot of jailbreaking tasks, like futzing around in sqlite or terminal, or even installing stuff off of cydia.

And, Veency gives you a mouse. The keyboard alone doesn't have that. How exactly are you going to touch your iPad with it all tilted on that dock?

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
The separate dock and bluetooth keyboard seems like a logical setup for me. More money? Yeah. However you can bring the keyboard with you and use the case as a stand if you wanted, or use the dock to use it as a picture frame and avoid having a keyboard stuck infront of it.

But I am having one thing I am having a hard time imaging... navigation. So you are typing away at an email using the BT keyboard and boom, I want to send it. What do I do? Reach up and tap send? Press tab a few times to highlight Send? Hot key? This all seems so strange without a cursor to navigate. Same goes with web browsing. Say I am typing a comment on MacRumors with the BT keyboard. Do I need to manually press Submit Reply, then undock the iPad so I can comfortably browse the site then redock to type another comment with the keyboard? This seems like a strange process.

These were some of the reasons why I went for the Keyboard Dock and the rest relate to iPad specific buttons. I already own the Apple bluetooth keyboard but, since this is attached to my Mac Pro, I figured that I would not want to constantly be reconnecting the keyboard between devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.