Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papersushi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
I have a small dent on the front cover of my PowerBook (Back of the LCD screen where Apple logo is). Do you know is it something that AppleCare can repair or replace? I know it won't be covered for free by Apple, but how much is it going to be? Thanks!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
papersushi said:
I have a small dent on the front cover of my PowerBook (Back of the LCD screen where Apple logo is). Do you know is it something that AppleCare can repair or replace?
Nope, AppleCare doesn't cover acts of user.
papersushi said:
I know it won't be covered for free by Apple, but how much is it going to be? Thanks!
The LCD is an entire module, it will probably be over $1000 to replace the module.

The other panels aren't cheap to replace either.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
aswitcher said:

Sacrilege!!!! Both the stickers!!! and the dent!!!! :D

papersushi - what you need to do: take out an insurance policy on your powerbook and then drop it out of a window! obviously back up everything first! then you can claim and get a shiney new one! :D

i dont think i could bring myself to do this but you did ask for a solution! ;)

snorkeller1

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2003
re : dents in alum powerbooks

Dents in these soft-shelled laptops is what deters me from getting them; with polycarbonate all that is required is some polishing with special fluid to get rid of scratches.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
snorkeller1 said:
Dents in these soft-shelled laptops is what deters me from getting them; with polycarbonate all that is required is some polishing with special fluid to get rid of scratches.
One of the reasons quite a few of us point people to the iBook G4 when people are on the fence between the iBook G4 & PowerBook 12 -- especially for people looking for a portable capable of some abuse.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
papersushi said:
I have a small dent on the front cover of my PowerBook (Back of the LCD screen where Apple logo is). Do you know is it something that AppleCare can repair or replace? I know it won't be covered for free by Apple, but how much is it going to be? Thanks!

You should try this :D
There is a place that sell parts www.pbparts.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.