Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I reserved an iPad for instore pickup on April 3rd and also want to get a case, vga adapter, and maybe the dock for it. Yesterday when I was on the apple online store it said that case the ships by april 3rd but now it says ships mid-april. the keyboard dock is the same way except it says ships by late april. Should I order now or do you think there will be accessories in stores on release day?

kes601

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
I went ahead and ordered my accessories via the online store. I'm picking up my iPad at the store. I figured I'd rather wait a day or two for the accessories (being delivered to work) than take a chance on them running out at the store.

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
I reserved mine for pickup and will do the same for accessories. If you really need to use it soon - I wouldn't hesitate to order now.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
It's strange - I just tried to pre-order the dock for pickup and it wouldn't let me, even though the button said pre-order. When I clicked on it, it took me to the online store to purchase the item for shipment. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait to see if they are at the store.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
It's strange - I just tried to pre-order the dock for pickup and it wouldn't let me, even though the button said pre-order. When I clicked on it, it took me to the online store to purchase the item for shipment. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait to see if they are at the store.

They wont let you reserve for pickup only preorder for shipment. Im still not sure because the thing I wanted most (the case) now doesnt ship until mid-april and the other 2 thing dont seem like they are huge sellers so I think I may arrive at the store early to get the accessories.

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I pre-ordered my iPad with the Case and AppleCare. I'd strongly suggest pre-ordering the case, as I think that is going to be tough to find because for $39 the attach rate is going to be high with each iPad sold. Plus, why would you want your iPad unprotected for any amount of time

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I pre-ordered my iPad with the Case and AppleCare. I'd strongly suggest pre-ordering the case, as I think that is going to be tough to find because for $39 the attach rate is going to be high with each iPad sold. Plus, why would you want your iPad unprotected for any amount of time

See I keep going back and forth, if I preorder the case online it wont arrive until mid april but the Apple store I am going to pick the iPad up at isnt in a huge area with 10,000 of thousands of people so I kind of want to take my chances but then again if I dont get the case in store who knows how far back the order date will be for them online.

epi117

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2010
I went back and ordered the case and extra charger. Portland stores are going to be like a madhouse.

sparkstsa

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
When I ordered the ipad and case, the case showed to ship April 3rd and it still shows that way in my order status. I noticed today on the Apple store that the ship date now says mid April. Do you think they have already sold more than what they had available for April 3rd?

bunger

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
I ordered the 32GB wifi iPad and the Apple case through the online store. The case now shows its expected ship date of April 15, with a delivery date of the 20th...

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I ordered my accessories separately just in case.

Good idea.
The only one I placed with my pre order was the VGA adapter. I didn't order the other ones I wanted because they won't be available April 3rd anyway. I think I'll just do what you did :cool:

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I pre-ordered the regular dock and VGA cable, but not the case even though in theory I want one. Cases are one of those things you have to see in person to see if it suits you or not. I guess I could have ordered one anyway and then sold it or something if I don't like it, but oh well.

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Delivers by the 20th? wow. Yeah I pre-ordered mine yesterday morning and it Ships by April 3rd. Looks like they're gonna be hard to get.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I've got a feeling better-quality, better-priced cases will be available from aftermarket vendors at launch or soon after.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Does the Apple case have anything covering the screen itself? (I hate having plastic or whatever over the screen).

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Sorry, I mean when the front flap is open...the screen is naked, right?

Yeah its naked.....but does the screen really need to be protected during use? Ruins the tactile feel of the screen....as long as its protected when i throw it in my bag thats all I personally care about....but I can see how some people can desire that feature

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
There are going to be a a lot of cases.

One of the reasons is that the Kindle DX is almost the same size and virtually all the players are going to have iPad cases. Then there are all the iPod case makers.

I know it's tempting to order this Apple case cuz I also think it will end up backordered.

But that case looks a bit cheesy to me, and rather bare bones.

JMHO

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Yeah its naked.....but does the screen really need to be protected during use? Ruins the tactile feel of the screen....as long as its protected when i throw it in my bag thats all I personally care about....but I can see how some people can desire that feature

I agree...that's why I was curious.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
I decided to go ahead and order the case along with my iPad for home delivery.

Unless I'm mistaken, you have the option of canceling the case order as long as it hasn't yet been packed and labeled for shipping. So if April comes around, the case is still a couple of weeks off, and other 3rd-party products are available, we should be able to cancel without penalty.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I'd buy the keyboard dock now with no problems, but wait for the case. Honestly, there will be an influx of great iPad cases soon enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.