Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cognacad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Ok. So back in May all of a sudden my Delete key stopped working well, I had to press it twice basically to get a response. I also noticed that my tab key and my space key didn't work either, as well as my right arrow and my up arrow.

All summer they worked fine, and now that school has started again they don't work well. Sometimes they don't work at all, sometimes space but not delete, sometimes they only work when I press twice, etc.

I brought this up in May and people said its keyboard failure and that I need to back everything up before I can't use my laptop. I disagreed, since if it was laptop failure it wouldn't be just 5 keys.

I was right and here I am many months later.

I crackedopen my(crap.there.goes.thespace.key.not.kidding 0) and every thing seemed ok. I closed it back up and now I am making this topic.

What could be causing my TAB, DELETE, SPACEBAR, RIGHT ARROW, TOP ARROW, to not work, sometimes. Sometimes it works perfect for days/weeks, and then all of a sudden works 50% or not work at all.Also.it.goes.from.one.minute.to.another.quite.randomly.Temperature.has.nothing.to.do.withit.I.am.quite.confused.

Booted in Linux and they don't work (so its hardware). Plugging in a keyboard and it works fine.

Can someone help me out a bit and tell me what it COULD be? I rather not drop a big wad of cash on a new keyboard.

I have a 1.83ghz 2006 White Macbook.

Thanks!!

Mike

kgarcia53

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
same problem...

I am recently having the exact same problem, only my keys that sometimes don't work are F7, 7, U, J, M, ; and ' . (They actually went out halfway through typing that). It's been a few months since you posted this thread, any news on what's going on here? My white macbook is just about 3.5 years old now... hope it's not dying on me... :( :mad:

viljo

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
I ordered new topcase for my white macbook and I had same problems, but I fixed it.

Problem is with keyboard connector. Ribbon connector, what comes from keyboard, to circuit board (beneath trackpad) was badly connected. You have to remove this grey plastic cover, then you see this connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.