Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenix1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
I have a small photography business and I want a simple program(Im not a programmer) to send a nice flyer I have made to potential customers that I have talked to on the phone. I have found many services online that offer this service but the prices are kind of ridiculous. I want a program that i can connect to the server of my website, and create a template email(my own design)to send to the people I talk to.

Any suggestions?

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
How many customers / flyers are you sending??

Just using a Group in Mail and a PDF attachment might work, although some Internet providers set limits as to how many addresses you can send to at teh same time (for example, one provider here only allows 100 address at once, so for a 200 email group I would have to send two or three emails) ... setting up separate groups solves this fairly easily.

If you need more flexibility, then MailChimp.com has a free account for up to 500 subscribers and sending up to 3,000 emails a month. You can use their HTML format or simply store a JPEG of the flyer on a web server (ImageShack is free) and then insert the image into the MailChimp email.

fenix1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
thanks for the reply.

I have been using mail chimp and its actually pretty cool. The only thing is it puts a logo at the bottom of my emails that says"powered by mail chimp"
which is kind of annoying. I think eventually I just need a email campaign app built on my server.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
thanks for the reply.

I have been using mail chimp and its actually pretty cool. The only thing is it puts a logo at the bottom of my emails that says"powered by mail chimp"
which is kind of annoying. I think eventually I just need a email campaign app built on my server.

Well the logo is the cost of using their free product. If you shell out the few dollars to paid, I believe you can remove the logo. You could also try Constant Contact, which is similar and only something like 15 bucks a month.

If building your own app you should think about what functionality it really entails - link tracking/analytics and managing opt-outs, etc.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
thanks for the reply.

The cost of building your own solution is going to far outweigh the monthly cost of using a service.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
A simple solution could be to use FileMaker Pro. You could set it up to send 100 (or whatever) emails at a time or even one at a time from the addresses.

The real problem with doing it yourself wil be the restrictions by the Internet service provider on a normal account (ie. not a big-business, high priced account) - whether they block a single email going to "too many" people at once, or whether they block you account if you send more than X emails within a certain timeframe, etc. The cheaper accounts usually don't allow you to run an internet server (web, FTP, Usenet, email, file "sharing", etc.).

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
As you're already using it, I'd stick with MailChimp. I use it and it hasn't failed me yet.

As mentioned above, if you don't like the logo, pay the low fee.

Let us know how you get on and what you choose :)

/Doug

arkiebell2

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
mailchimp for IPads?

Someone at our farmer's market had a program on his iPad that allowed his customers to enter their own email addresses so they could get their newsletter&/or a notification email as to when they would be back to that market. They said what it was but the name was not MailChimp. It was a funny name and he said this was the one to use on the iPad and the MailChimp was for the droid technology. I can't find this anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.