Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hughfraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Hi,
I am considering switching from Windows later in the year so I am just in my research phrase.

I have heard you have to unmount an external HD right by clicking the eject icon in Finder, what will happen if I just unplug the USB or Firewire cable from the back of the iMac?

Hugh
P.S. Sorry if this is a silly question but still using Windows and the only time I have access at the moment is when I travel 20 Miles to my 'local' Apple Store.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Usually, nothing. Unless you're writing data. The "eject" option is just there to be sure and it won't let you eject unless the drive is on standby and not moving.

hughfraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Thanks iParis, no doubt I will have plenty more super stupid questions before I get my iMac.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
It can vary...especially when going between OS X and Windows.

In my experience, I've had a couple times where I didn't "properly eject" from Windows and the disk wouldn't mount properly in OS X until I plugged it back in to the Windows box and ejected it via the safely remove prompt.

I haven't had much issue with OS X, but I always use the eject prompt just to make sure the disk isn't doing anything that I'd interrupt.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Windows behaves in exactly the same way as Mac OS X, aside from (in XP) hiding the "safely remove" option in a system tray icon rather than using a simple eject button.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Windows behaves in exactly the same way as Mac OS X, aside from (in XP) hiding the "safely remove" option in a system tray icon rather than using a simple eject button.

And the fact that the way Windows "ejects" or "safely removes" devices doesn't work half the time. I hate it when a PC says my hard drive or flash drive is busy, yet it isn't doing anything.

hughfraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
And the fact that the way Windows "ejects" or "safely removes" devices doesn't work half the time. I hate it when a PC says my hard drive or flash drive is busy, yet it isn't doing anything.

I have had this a few times but I must say I do rather like Windows 7, I even used Vista :eek: (What was I thinking!)

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.