Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JS82189

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
How easy is it to type on the iPad without the case slanting it? Apple Online Store says 'Mid-April'... really sloppy if the cases aren't ready on April 3rd IMO

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
How easy is it to type on the iPad without the case slanting it? Apple Online Store says 'Mid-April'... really sloppy if the cases aren't ready on April 3rd IMO

It says "mid-april" because so many people ordered them on Friday. If you got in early enough, your case will ship with your other accessories by April 3 (not delivered on April 3 though). I ordered one on Saturday which has a shipping estimate of the 15th for delivery by the 20th.

JS82189

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Oh wow... hopefully I can snag one in the :apple: store..

you think :apple: would have extra cases ready.. I mean not like your waiting on some chip manufacturer in Taiwain.. still sloppy planning IMO

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Mine says April 3rd. Although since I did not specify "ship complete", it looks like I will get it long before the 3G iPad

JS82189

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I think the in-store pickups will be interesting, but I think apple dropped the ball on this.. i mean they can't be that hard to pump out

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
I think the in-store pickups will be interesting, but I think apple dropped the ball on this.. i mean they can't be that hard to pump out

my thoughts exactly. seems that they would be able to crank out some more in the next few weeks knowing they are short.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
my thoughts exactly. seems that they would be able to crank out some more in the next few weeks knowing they are short.

sadly when you're dealing with electronics, there are so many parts from so many different manufactures. If one of the companies have an issue getting the parts out it hit's the rest of the line. It also takes time to get these parts from a manufacture.

For instance it takes on average 30 days for a silicon wafer to go through all the processes before becoming a wafer full of computer chips.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
sadly when you're dealing with electronics, there are so many parts from so many different manufactures. If one of the companies have an issue getting the parts out it hit's the rest of the line. It also takes time to get these parts from a manufacture.

For instance it takes on average 30 days for a silicon wafer to go through all the processes before becoming a wafer full of computer chips.

i understand that, however, a case is a soft good. it is pretty quick to knock out softgoods unless these things are handmade :rolleyes:

LucidPsychosis

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Quick question, theoretically, wouldn't pre-ordering save people a lot of money on sales tax? I know that in my state, sales tax is like 9.75%, so effectively, an extra $50 would be added to the base $500 iPad. Or am I missing something?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Quick question, theoretically, wouldn't pre-ordering save people a lot of money on sales tax? I know that in my state, sales tax is like 9.75%, so effectively, an extra $50 would be added to the base $500 iPad. Or am I missing something?

You still pay sales tax when you order from Apple online.

JS82189

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010

see wat i said before, its not some chip from taiwain, its a case

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
From the pictures I've seen on iLounge, this thing kinda looks like a piece of plastic crap. Maybe the final version will be nice, but personally I think a 3rd party case will be the better choice.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
From the pictures I've seen on iLounge, this thing kinda looks like a piece of plastic crap. Maybe the final version will be nice, but personally I think a 3rd party case will be the better choice.

I have yet to find pictures of a 3rd party case that will cover the functions better/as well as the Apple one.

I don't expect that it will stay the primary case around here - but being as the first iPad in the house is going to a 14yo with 2 younger sisters... well, i need something "right away".

I think what also will change for her needs will be how she ends up using it most of the time too.... and we won't know that until a few weeks in with it.

SOOO, i ordered one - not 2 :D

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I orders a WiFi + 3g and am getting the April 3 date for my case. Seems as if Apple could have delyed my case to arrive with my iPad in "late April" so those getting the WiFi only on April 3 could be accomodated.

Simon1966

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
United Kingdom
I think there is a good possibility that ordering both the iPad and the iPad case could slow down or possibly delay the delivery if iPad cases are not ready to ship the same time as the iPad.

Far better to order both separately than be disappointed on the day! :apple:

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I think there is a good possibility that ordering both the iPad and the iPad case could slow down or possibly delay the delivery if iPad cases are not ready to ship the same time as the iPad.

Far better to order both separately than be disappointed on the day! :apple:

Mine have separate delivery info already - iPad says, "delivers on APril 3" and the case says "Ships by April 3".

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Wow, that sucks. Kind of wish I ordered it. Maybe I can pick one up at the store or they'll move up their availability. May just be an issue of sorting out the inventory projections of what they expect to get in between now and the 3rd, and where inventory will go.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
Wow, that sucks. Kind of wish I ordered it. Maybe I can pick one up at the store or they'll move up their availability. May just be an issue of sorting out the inventory projections of what they expect to get in between now and the 3rd, and where inventory will go.

i doubt they will be available in-store if they are sold out online. they aren't going to not sell a case so that they an give it to a retailer and hope it sells. Best bet would be to pre-order it now because there won't be any in stores.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
i doubt they will be available in-store if they are sold out online. they aren't going to not sell a case so that they an give it to a retailer and hope it sells. Best bet would be to pre-order it now because there won't be any in stores.

I'd be surprised if they don't have any in-stores. Apple makes big money on accessories sales.

Either way, I ordered one with the VGA adapter. I'll cancel if I can get them in the store.

I'm sure someone just counted that as an 1.1 iPad sale. :p

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
I'd be surprised if they don't have any in-stores. Apple makes big money on accessories sales.

Either way, I ordered one with the VGA adapter. I'll cancel if I can get them in the store.

I'm sure someone just counted that as an 1.1 iPad sale. :p

i'm keeping my fingers crossed you are right... i need a case earlier then mid April. I too pre-ordered but have all intentions of showing up to the apple store opening day to see if they have a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.