Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112742-devaul.jpg

Computerworld reports that Apple recently hired Richard DeVaul, an expert in wearable computers, to the position of "Senior Prototype Engineer". The move appears to signify efforts by Apple to remain at the forefront of computer technology as it looks forward to future devices and usage habits.
DeVaul has a background in wearable technologies as you can see from his personal homepage, as well as a PhD. in Media Arts & Sciences from MIT. At MIT, he worked on new human-computer interaction techniques for wearable, mobile, and portable applications.
DeVaul also founded AWare Technologies, a company originally focused on wearable motion monitoring system for athletes and the military that has since shifted to a consumer-based focus that offers several products including StepTrakLite for the iPhone.

According to today's report, DeVaul will be working on highly secret projects directly under Apple design guru Jony Ive.
DeVaul will be working under Jonny Ive in a secret lab focused on wearable computing technology where only seven people besides Ive and CEO Steve Jobs know what he is doing.
DeVaul gained some fame in 2003 for his development of Memory Glasses, a wearable computer system offering a tiny display capable of providing users with non-intrusive and even subliminal information to assist them with memory-related tasks.

Article Link: Apple Hires Expert in Wearable Computing

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
I can see it now, Apple creating the computer chip that you implant into your brain lol. look out world

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Very cool! Now that the iPad is etched into history, I've been wondering what the next iDevice-rumor-to-salivate-over would be. I want my AR iGoggles!

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
This is the hire I'm least excited about.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the concept per se. I just don't believe we want to be taking advice about what to wear from Comic Book Guy.

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Secret lair/ Earthmiddlepoint
I guess the interesting question is how many stories underground this secret lab will be. Apple loves underground stores and Hollywood films like Resident Evil demo the advantages of having completly surface- independent underground labs...

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
DeVaul gained some fame in 2003 for his development of Memory Glasses, a wearable computer system offering a tiny display capable of providing users with non-intrusive and even subliminal information to assist them with memory-related tasks.

:eek:
180 flip from 1984. All your minds are belong to us!

Seems a good move. Surely it's a matter of course that in future we'll have access to fairly powerful small computers that we'll wear. I can see this technology being massive in a number of fields, for eg., gaming markets. I'd expect to see Apple at the forefront of such developments.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Welcome aboard

Enjoy your time in the Bomb Shelter! Understand it is two levels now. I'm sure there is going to be some interesting field trials come Cupertino way.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I wish I could live another 100 years to see what freaky stuff people are using then.
Course, that's what they said a hundred years ago about us!
Garage doors that open by themselves??? "OH MY!" :)

fairpro

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
nj
apple is in disguise and on line at the patent office.

now you know why they save lots of money. it's the future, i think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.