Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I recently sent my iBook G4 to Apple to get the screen replaced because it started to fade around all of the edged. Everything went smoothly, and I got it back from Apple with a new screen. The good news is the fading is gone and it looks bright and crisp again. The bad news is that there is now one bright blue pixel in the center of the screen. I've had a dead pixel before so I'm not very concerned about it, but the fact that this one is in the middle of the screen bothers me. Do you think I should try to get Apple to replace the screen again? Do you even think they would?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
no, apple will not replace your screen again. You need more than one dead pixel for apple to do anything about it.

Your pixel is stuck, not dead, however. A dead pixel is *always* black; stuck pixels can be black, but are more commonly stuck on one color. Stuck is much better than dead because it means that it might "unstick" at some point and return to normal. You can try to help this process along by gently massaging the stuck pixel with a clean, soft cloth. Hold the back of the screen behind the pixel while you do this and try to use a real massaging motion rather than just pressing or rubbing. I've had a number of stuck pixels that have unstuck with this treatment (though I've got one on my cinema display that I can't unstick :( - maybe it will unstick on its own, though - they sometimes do that)

good luck.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
actually a centered pixel may constitute a screen replacement.

It never hurts to give apple a call and make your case.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
oldschool said:
It never hurts to give apple a call and make your case.
good point,
no really. Those who don't try can't get the things they want...
luxembourgish probverb: "Dei dei net froen kennen naischt kreien" ;-)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
you can always try and chances are they will at least consider a replacement because the faulty pixel is in center of screen. but don't get your hopes up, i know cases where even three faulty pixels in annoying places was not enough for a replacement screen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.