Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delux246

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I work at a non-profit and I am the designated tech guy because everyone else knows less then I do. I'm trying to help 2 of my coworkers to print to a Ricoh Aficio MP C2500 from their late 2009 uMBP. The printer is set up in a network and the macs see it but can't print. I went to the Ricoh site and there aren't any drivers for 10.6 but there are 2 for generic Mac OS and others for 10.4-5. I've downloaded all of them but they haven't help. I connected 1 of the macs directly to the ricoh and the mac read it but when it printed i got this message "%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%APL_DSC_Encoding: UTF8
%APLProducer: (Version 10.6.2 (Build 10C540"
on 1 page with a ton of black pages... Can anyone help me?

diGit:S

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
printing with Ricoh

Hi there.

First post here but anyway :)

I haven't tried it with Ricoh machines, but whenever I have issues printing I use the Gutenprint drivers => http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

Not 100% sure but those have helped me out until now, I never succeeded printing with natively provided Mac OS printers.

freepeacesweet

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Cayman Islands
I am also trying to setup the same printer for our mac network at work. The printer is currently being used without any problem in a Windows environment our Macs can also see it but when printing i get 3 pages of code then unlimited blank.

So far i have found that the drivers are included in Mac OS 10.6 and you can also download them from the Afico site. If i change the print protocol i get nothing and when i look at the printer activity i am getting authentication error so i presuming it has something to do with the printer setup rather than the mac or the drivers.

I am working with our IT guy trying to get a fix. As soon as i know more i will post back.

Philinghorn

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2009
Hampshire, England
Hi,

I could be wrong, but I think you need the PS (Postscript) option for this printer for it to be able to print from a Mac. I do know the option is very expensive :eek: & didn't come as standard. If you print out the config page from the MPC2500 it will be listed as an option if you have it.

On Ricoh's web site it lists an PPD Installer for OSX 10.6 is this the driver ?

Good Luck

delux246

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I finally found the link to the 10.6 drivers... Took me long enough! Today is my day off so tomorrow I will try installing the driver and if that doesn't work I'll contact Ricoh about the postscript. I sure hope it doesn't come down to that because the non-profit I work for won't be able to afford it. We got the printer under the previous administration and the lease is almost killing us...

freepeacesweet

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Cayman Islands
IT guy had no joy. I played around with the settings for several hours yesterday but no joy either. I emailed Ricoh support and got the following answer.

Thank you for contacting Ricoh Technical Support. Please do the following to verify that the postscript option is installed on the C2500:

1) Press User Tools/Counter
2) Press Printer Features
3) Press Config Page
4) Press User Tools/Counter

Look in the System Reference section of the configuration page. There will be a line that says Languages. Please make sure that PostScript is listed. If it is not, you will need to contact your Ricoh sales representative and request that the option be installed on the machine in order to be able to print from the mac.

We don't have the postscript installed on ours so I am back to the drawing board.

Good luck!

freepeacesweet

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Cayman Islands
Success!

Finally i have an answer that will work takes about 5 mins and costs nothing.

Download the following in this order and install from here:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosx/pxlmono

Ghostscript for Mac OS X 10.3.x (Panther) - Mac OS X 10.6.x (Snow Leopard)
Foomatic-RIP for Mac OS X 10.3.x (Panther) - Mac OS X 10.6.x (Snow Leopard)
pxlmono 1.6 for Mac OS X 10.3.x (Panther) - Mac OS X 10.6.x (Snow Leopard)

Once installed add your printer and use the following driver Ricoh Aficio MX C2500 PXL and you should have a fully working colour printer:;)

Good luck and enjoy.

Reactions: MarXOS

jrnolan

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
I also work for a non profit, and came across this article while trying to get our printer (same model, and all) to work with the 2 mac computers that we have here. I am having no luck at all, the printer has user codes on it, and I was told that I HAVE to get postscript to make it work (an $800 purchase). Is there a way around it?

Thanks.

John Nolan

freepeacesweet

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Cayman Islands
Our machine has did not use codes set but has users. Installing the software in my post above allowed all my macs running 10.6.2 to connect to the printer via ethernet and print without buying the postscript module.

jrnolan

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Well it seems that you can't print to a ricoh that has user codes set up on it without a PS! witch sucks, however there is a setting that allows you to print without the user codes, and with the drivers installed from above, it prints in full color!!!

Thank's guys, ya'll were EXTREMELY helpful in this matter!!

pmullen

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks!!!
This worked and it didn't though. I am now able to print to a Ricoh 4500 but still can't print to a 2500.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Success!

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosx/pxlmono

Once installed add your printer and use the following driver Ricoh Aficio MX C2500 PXL and you should have a fully working colour printer:;)

Good luck and enjoy.

delux246

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Success!

Good luck and enjoy.

Thank you sooooooooooooo much!!!!!!! After messing around with the printer I got it to work. This is a life saver!!! It really works!!!!!!

Big Vince

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
Success!

Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks. It seems to have worked, but then when I print, the queue keeps pausing itself. Any help is appreciated. I'm printing to a Ricoh MP C2500 by the way.

delux246

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks. It seems to have worked, but then when I print, the queue keeps pausing itself. Any help is appreciated. I'm printing to a Ricoh MP C2500 by the way.

Do exactly what the person said. I have the MP C2500 also but when I used the driver the other person said to use, I had no problem. It has worked great on three different macs when I followed the instructions exactly.

Big Vince

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
Do exactly what the person said. I have the MP C2500 also but when I used the driver the other person said to use, I had no problem. It has worked great on three different macs when I followed the instructions exactly.

I followed the directions exactly, used that driver, even installed in the order listed.

Big Vince

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
try changing it to LPD with the same address. I had it on IPP first and it just paused and I changed it to LPD and it worked. This may not work for you but its worth a shot.

No luck. :(
9um251.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.