Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lattermunch01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Help please, Apple Tv will not recognize itunes on my mac. I can log into youtube so there is no network problem. I have reset Apple Tv to the factory settings with no help. Also Apple Tv will not recognize my iPhone in the remote application.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
You mean iTunes will not recognize your :apple:TV? I have had this happen and usually a reboot of your Mac will work....or if this is a recurring problem, a change of channels on your wireless network (assuming it is wifi of course) or a restore of your router may be in order.

If it is wireless, a neighbor...or even you...may have a new device which interferes with the wifi channel your network broadcasts on. iTunes/:apple:TV is picky about this connection and it may drop if there is too much interference. Having a connection to the internet on :apple:TV doesn't matter and doesn't prove there is no network problem per se. It really has more to do with your iTunes/iMac to :apple:TV connection.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Sorry, this is an issue that has been going on for a VERY long time. Sometimes iTunes simply will not "see" the "apple"TV no matter what you do. Then again it may show up at any time for some unknown reason and nobody has been able to come up with a real solution. I have been fighting this issue for what seems like forever. I really wish Apple could figure out what is wrong and fix it, but to them the :apple:TV is a hobby so I don't expect to ever get any real support. There are many threads both on this forum and on Apple's support forum about this issue, and many suggestions that may or may not work in your case. Good luck.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Did they actually say that when you called them?

I believe it was a quote from high up. Went something like 'We're a mobile company now' blablabla 'Apple TV is just a hobby' blablabla. :( Let's hope that the Boxee box, 'Google TV', etc. will change that :rolleyes:

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Help please, Apple Tv will not recognize itunes on my mac. I can log into youtube so there is no network problem. I have reset Apple Tv to the factory settings with no help. Also Apple Tv will not recognize my iPhone in the remote application.
Sounds to me like you have a network issue. I know you said you don't think so since you're getting out to YouTube. Is the AppleTV connecting to the same network as your iPhone and the computer on which iTunes is running? Or is your AppleTV perhaps hitting some other wifi hotspot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.