Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

150427-ipad_app_submission.jpg

Apple today officially invited developers to begin submitting iPad applications to the App Store for inclusion in the grand opening of the iPad App Store at its launch on April 3rd. In the e-mail sent to developers, Apple invites app submissions for an initial review of their readiness for the iPad.
iPad will begin shipping soon and your opportunity to be part of the grand opening of the iPad App Store starts today. Submit your iPad app now for an initial review by the App Review Team and receive feedback on its readiness for the grand opening.

Submit Your App by March 27.

- Build and test your iPad app using iPhone SDK 3.2 beta 5 available on the iPhone Dev Center. Only iPad apps built with iPhone SDK 3.2 beta 5 will be accepted for this initial review.

- Upload your distribution signed app through iTunes Connect by Saturday, March 27, 5pm PDT.

- The App Review Team will review your app on iPad and email you details about the readiness of your app.

- You will also receive additional information about submitting your app for final review before iPad ships.

- Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store.
Apple has provided iPads to a select set of developers under tight security in order to assist them with preparing their apps for the iPad's launch. The vast majority of developers will, however, have to rely on the iPad simulator included in the iPhone SDK 3.2 for iPad for testing their apps.

Article Link: Apple Officially Invites Developers to Submit iPad Applications to App Store

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Here we go! Devs, start yer uploads. Let's see how many Apps can get through Apple between now and April 3rd. With this public timeline and commitment on Apples part it seems likely that we could see hundreds of brand new iPad specific apps on launch day.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
Not sure how confident devs releasing apps without testing on the actual device first.

It sucks having to wait late April to test it on. I don't want to cross the border finding that it's sold out.

bindle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
I don't know how you can feel right sending an app out into the store without properly testing it on actual hardware first. Looks like launch day bugs won't be limited to just the OS!

anthonyjr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Hmm...shouldn't it be tested on the actual hardware first?

It sounds like they're testing them on an iPad for you, then letting you know how well it is working on the device functionality wise.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
...crickets...

...it'll be interesting to see how many (or how few) apps materialize, indicating confidence in this device.

Here are some things this device needs, that it is unlikely to get:

1. External Monitor - Plug it into your Mac, and the iPad bypasses its own OS, and becomes a second display.
2. Bigass Touchpad - Plug it into your Mac, and it becomes a big multitouch trackpad/keyboard.
3. Clone - Plug two iPads into each other in a hinged sleeve. One acts as your keyboard, and the other your monitor. A better MB Air.
4. Garageband, iMovie - To mix and edit iLife projects while out & about.
5. VLC! - Yeah, I know, not gonna happen
6. A "Move" option, so you don't need to have all your huge movies taking up all that room both on your ipad and your Mac. Move the file on to one or the other, (with moved files only being able to be moved back again...).

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
iTunes Distribution

i wonder how these apps will be presented on iTunes... will there be a separate library to show all your iPad apps, or will they be highlighted in some way as i am assuming iPad apps will NOT work on an iPhone/iPod Touch? :eek:

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I'm surprised that they are accepting submissions while the SDK is still in Beta.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I think Apple will test the apps on real iPads and let the dev know if it's ok or not.

I doubt it. Maybe for select high profile apps, but there will be far too much volume to support that for everything.

bindle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
I think Apple will test the apps on real iPads and let the dev know if it's ok or not.

I highly doubt Apple willl be doing the extensive hardware tests that you'd do yourself. They're probably testing for basic stability (tap around and it doesn't crash), but nothing you yourself would test to ensure proper confidence in a release.

But who knows - they haven't stated when the store will actually open. Perhaps this is a preliminary round to gather some showcase apps for the launch. The worded it with "opportunity" and "considered" for the grand opening.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I doubt it. Maybe for select high profile apps, but there will be far too much volume to support that for everything.

Well the article says this :

"The App Review Team will review your app on iPad and email you details about the readiness of your app.

- You will also receive additional information about submitting your app for final review before iPad ships.

- Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store."

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I don't know how you can feel right sending an app out into the store without properly testing it on actual hardware first. Looks like launch day bugs won't be limited to just the OS!

Not to mention that the SDK is still officially a "Beta", isn't it? This roll-out could really be a mess, for one thing I think the idea of combining the iPhone and iPad app stores and universal binaries for the two is a terrible mistake.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Not sure how confident devs releasing apps without testing on the actual device first.

It sucks having to wait late April to test it on. I don't want to cross the border finding that it's sold out.

Then why wouldn't you just reserve one for in-store p/u? That only requires an Apple ID.

Not to mention that the SDK is still officially a "Beta", isn't it? This roll-out could really be a mess, for one thing I think the idea of combining the iPhone and iPad app stores and universal binaries for the two is a terrible mistake.

Except we don't know how Apple is going to redesign the App store. I expect there will either be an iPad only check box option or a separate iPad store that includes compatible iPhone apps.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Well the article says this :

"The App Review Team will review your app on iPad and email you details about the readiness of your app.

- Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store."

Looks good to me:

1. The black room devs will have tested it on the real iPad.
2. The emulator in the SDK is probably pretty good.
3. App Review Team will check "the basic readiness" of the app.

We should have lots of iPad specific apps on April 3rd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.