Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Will public library ebooks be compatible with iPad? To me there are mixed messages. Anyone know the answer to this?

"...protected EPUB eBooks obtained from thousands of online booksellers (including Barnes & Noble) and most public libraries (including The New York Public Library)—are unreadable on the iPad."
Source:
http://blogs.adobe.com/digitaleditions/2010/01/epub_ipad_and_content_interope.html

"iBooks is confirmed to take non-iBooks ePub files, synced over iTunes, so you can use ebooks you’ve grabbed from other services. It can be combined with the accessibility options to read novels aloud."
Source:
http://appmodo.com/15092/apple-discloses-more-information-on-preloaded-ipad-apps/

bkwest918

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007
If the epub doesn't have any DRM it will work. If it has DRM then it won't. Thats how I read it.

/b

Dwanep

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Nebraska
so will I be able to download books from Barnes & Noble? and where is the ibook store. I would like to see what kind of selection they have.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
No, it won't work out of the box. Most public libraries use Adobe's DRM technologies, which means it will not work on iPad unless Adobe creates an ebook app for it or the libraries themselves create the ebook app.

You can't use any DRM protected ebooks on iPad unless there's an application to be able to use it. For Kindle's ebooks, you need to use Kindle Application, same goes for BN and any other stores with their own exclusive app. There won't be a single application that can read all the ebook formats.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
so will I be able to download books from Barnes & Noble?

You can download and read B&N books using the B&N ereader app, but you won't be able to read them with the iBooks app.

and where is the ibook store. I would like to see what kind of selection they have.

iBookStore isn't up yet. I doubt it will come online before April 3.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
This is exactly why I stopped buying eBooks when I heard the iPad was being announced. I didn't think that DRM for other ePUBs would work (I mean, anything from B&N doesn't work on Kindle, and Kindle doesn't work on Sony, etc..) Personally I think this is lame, they should have worked out a cross licensing of the DRM or worked together to develop it.

I'm hoping the iBookstore will have all of the offerings the others have combined (at least eventually). We will see... But as of now, I'm removing the DRM from any book I already have and getting them ready for syncing via iTunes.

Dwanep

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Nebraska
If you don't have the same selection as BN or Amazon is that not kind of a deal breaker. I know movies on itunes are quite limited compared to say blockbuster. I mean if you want a machine to read books on and I would rather have an apple then anything else you better be able to get most of the books or what is the point.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
This is why I'm reluctant to embrace digital distribution. There are many reasons why publishers don't want to embrace digital distribution and their reluctance to do so means that offerings are going to be limited for a while, maybe years.

The whole thing about buying digital media right now reminds me of things like the blu-ray vs. hd dvd battles. I want to embrace digital distribution but the selection doesn't yet match the physical counterparts, nor does the quality.

I suppose all formats eventually may come to an end, those VHS movies can still be watched but are definitely outdated and who knows how much longer VHS players will work for.

I just wish we weren't stuck with DRM but thats life.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
If you don't have the same selection as BN or Amazon is that not kind of a deal breaker. I know movies on itunes are quite limited compared to say blockbuster. I mean if you want a machine to read books on and I would rather have an apple then anything else you better be able to get most of the books or what is the point.

Except you can use the B&N and Kindle applications on the iPad and read from any of the collections. I prefer to have everything in one collection instead, but that's me. I don't want 3 apps to read books, B&N, Kindle and iBooks. Since I can remove the DRM from B&N and Kindle books, and the iBooks is part of iTunes, thus syncing movies, music and books all with one app will make my life easier / better.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

CylonGlitch said:

Except you can use the B&N and Kindle applications on the iPad and read from any of the collections. I prefer to have everything in one collection instead, but that's me. I don't want 3 apps to read books, B&N, Kindle and iBooks. Since I can remove the DRM from B&N and Kindle books, and the iBooks is part of iTunes, thus syncing movies, music and books all with one app will make my life easier / better.

How are you removing the DRM from your eBooks? I have quite a few Kindle books that I would love to read through the iBook app.

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

How are you removing the DRM from your eBooks? I have quite a few Kindle books that I would love to read through the iBook app.

Quick google search will give you lots of options though I am not sure which is people's favorite.

After you have the DRM off, Calibre is a great application to format the book for your device. They don't have the iPad yet, but I am sure it will be an option shortly after launch. That being said, the book has to be epub to be able to be synced to the iPad. I am pretty sure Calibre can convert a kindel store book to an epub book though.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
i contacted the ny public library the other day about this issue. Here was their response:

"I'm afraid that our current ebook offerings are supported by the sony ereader instead of the iPad or the Kindle. It's unfortunate but all of these ereaders use essentially incompatible methods for rights management which forces the library to limit options."

They also support the mobi-reader - so if they make an iPad application perhaps we can have some library books.

i wonder if there are any other libraries out there who provide epub format books?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Looks like all of the DRM's can be broken / removed now. So very little reason to use any of it. I don't redistribute anything I take the DRM off, and I never will, I just want to use it with my choice of program -- especially NOT the B&N one, that thing stinks!

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Will public library ebooks be compatible with iPad? To me there are mixed messages. Anyone know the answer to this?

"...protected EPUB eBooks obtained from thousands of online booksellers (including Barnes & Noble) and most public libraries (including The New York Public Library)—are unreadable on the iPad."
Source:
http://blogs.adobe.com/digitaleditions/2010/01/epub_ipad_and_content_interope.html

This depends on having access to the "special reader" that the online seller requires. So depends if they make an iPad Application. Amazon, and Barns and Noble have both announced readers.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Looks like all of the DRM's can be broken / removed now. So very little reason to use any of it. I don't redistribute anything I take the DRM off, and I never will, I just want to use it with my choice of program -- especially NOT the B&N one, that thing stinks!

Not all of them can be broken. From I heard, Amazon is going to try to change DRM more often now. Not sure if it will happen or not.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Hopefully it won't be too long before the publishing industry drop DRM like the music industry has. As ebooks grow in popularity, and after the iPad releases, and there is a wider variety of ebook readers, the problems will really become apparent.

And the fact that DRM removal software is so ridiculously easy to get, hopefully it'll show publishers how stupid the whole concept of DRM is!

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I think libraries have to have DRM to expire. Probably means we'll never see library titles on iBooks.

If you can get a library title and strip the DRM and convert to ePub, that would be pretty cool workaround to the problem.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
The lack of public library e-book support is very disappointing to me. My parents have a Sony e-reader and love checking books out of the library. It is such a neat feature and I wish that the ipad supported it.

I don't know yet if I will get one, but if it had this support as well as a front facing camera for video conferencing, I'd be purchasing one immediately. Now I guess I'll wait for the reviews to come in.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
DRM is so dumb because it hurts the honest person. Any tech savy person knows a thousand places to get free ebooks or music or tv shows or movies.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
DRM is so dumb because it hurts the honest person. Any tech savy person knows a thousand places to get free ebooks or music or tv shows or movies.

I understand that I could simply strip the DRM off the ebook, but I don't plan on doing that. If it isn't supported legally on the device, than I just won't use it that way. Public libraries and Overdrive have a fantastic product going and it isn't their fault that Adobe and Apple can't work out their differences.

By circumventing the DRM, platforms like Overdrive will get shut down and then the honest people won't get to check out books. There really isn't a feasible way to offer the public library service on ereaders without DRM.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I understand that I could simply strip the DRM off the ebook, but I don't plan on doing that. If it isn't supported legally on the device, than I just won't use it that way. Public libraries and Overdrive have a fantastic product going and it isn't their fault that Adobe and Apple can't work out their differences.

By circumventing the DRM, platforms like Overdrive will get shut down and then the honest people won't get to check out books. There really isn't a feasible way to offer the public library service on ereaders without DRM.

Nobody has to strip the DRM off, Overdrive has a platform that they can expand onto any hardware they wish to. It's up to them to create an iPhone/iPad application that can let you download and check out from any public library that uses Overdrive. Apple or Adobe is not at fault here regardless, it's Overdrive for not expanding their platform fast enough.

If you look here, http://overdrive.com/software/omc/, they already are expanding. They got a version up for the blackberry (beta), android, Mac, PC, but no iPhone/iPad.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Nobody has to strip the DRM off, Overdrive has a platform that they can expand onto any hardware they wish to. It's up to them to create an iPhone/iPad application that can let you download and check out from any public library that uses Overdrive. Apple or Adobe is not at fault here regardless, it's Overdrive for not expanding their platform fast enough.

If you look here, http://overdrive.com/software/omc/, they already are expanding. They got a version up for the blackberry (beta), android, Mac, PC, but no iPhone/iPad.

That link you sent deals with audiobooks, not print books (from what I can tell). I'm pretty sure the Ipod/Iphone is already supported for audiobooks through Overdrive.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I'm pretty sure the Ipod/Iphone is already supported for audiobooks through Overdrive.

http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/devicesfaq.asp

To transfer OverDrive MP3 content to an Apple device on Windows, iTunes v9.0.2 (or newer) is required.
To transfer OverDrive MP3 content to an Apple device on the Mac, iTunes v7.6.2.9 (or newer) is required.

Notes on transferring OverDrive WMA titles to Apple devices…

iTunes v9.0.2 (or newer) must be installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.