Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Genius

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
A more appropriate question might be: "What do I get for $300 and where can I find it cheaper!?"

From where I stand, it costs $600 to become an ACMT because you need all these:

AppleCare Technician Training —$299.
Apple Macintosh Service Exam — $150
Mac OS X v10.6 Troubleshooting Exam — $150

But if you knew the correct answers to the exams, you wouldn't need the AppleCare training and it would only cost you $300. So now the question has evolved to something like "Where do you get the information to pass the exams without paying Apple $300?"

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm guessing the training will instruct you on stuff that isn't found in a test. Of all the technical training I've taken, only a subset was ever on an exam (sometimes a large subset but a subset nonetheless)

Apple Genius

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
I'm guessing the training will instruct you on stuff that isn't found in a test. Of all the technical training I've taken, only a subset was ever on an exam (sometimes a large subset but a subset nonetheless)

Is there anything on the test outside of normal repair that might throw me for a curveball, such as "What is the Terminal command to change a folder's flags?" or is it basic stuff like "Will a 45w iBook charger work with a PowerBook?"
Are the questions mostly multiple choice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.