Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
With Google, Sony and Intel now looking at a set-top box for everyone's HDTV, one wonders if Apple will move the Apple TV from mere "hobby" to full-fledged product line in order to compete?

Given Apple's and Google's current "war", I would assume they would try to out-do each other in the newest battle for media domination: old-school boob tube.

What can Apple do to make the AppleTV a better device?

Personally, I think it's time for a all-in-one media center from Apple.... streaming, full web, gaming, disc (BluRay?), and DVR. PCs have had these products for years, and we Apple fans have modified Mac Minis for similar use.

Making Apps available for the Apple TV would also be fantastic...games and video sites especially would be welcome.

and I'm not kidding about DVR functionality....all so important. Maybe Apple should look into buying tIvo?

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
I hope so! Apple really needs a kick in the balls to get moving on the Home Theater front. ATV has been left in the ditch for way too long.

This is the perfect example of a company needing competition to spur improvement and innovation.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This might actually get Apple started on finally updating the Apple TV. We can only hope.

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
I agree, I'd love them to take it more seriously. I use a macmini to get the job done but I know the integration can be done a bit better somehow.

As to Google, Sony and others entering the mix I never even knew about that so it's very good to hear.

Be fantastic if TV's are the new battleground.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
Maybe Apple should look into buying tIvo?

Hopefully someone with some motivation will buy TiVo. The only thing slower than the pace of TiVo's "innovation" in recent years is the pace of Apple's "innovation" wrt Apple TV.

Apple could do (and has done) worse than buying TiVo. E.g. they bought P. A. Semi for a princely sum, and then Dan Dobberpuhl and other principals simply walked out the door. At least by buying TiVo, Apple would retain the name. But that's probably the very reason Apple won't. They don't want to dilute their own brand name.

Perhaps Google will buy TiVo.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Maybe apple is planning something since the next mac mini will have a HDMI port. Would get one in a heart beat if it also had an i3 chip, 8gb max ram and a descent graphics chip to support a 50 inch tv. Would be awesome. :cool:

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I'm a bit of a contrarian on this point. I think the only thing preventing Apple TV's success today is awareness. If you see it, you'll like it. Not talking about hardcore geeks, I mean the same mass market of people who've been buying HDTVs and Blu-Ray players lately.

The improvements I'd like are pretty modest. Much bigger hard drive, an Off button ... uh, that's about it.

Netflix streaming would be nice but will not happen since it contradicts Apple's business model with iTunes rentals.

I guess I'd like 1080p for ripped Blu-Ray movies, and the hardware that requires, such as a faster CPU. But this isn't a priority for me (I'm not exactly sure why I should rip a Blu-Ray onto my Apple TV instead of just watching it from the disc). 1080p streaming is not coming very soon, so this mostly matters for ripped content. That said, Apple should add it just as a selling point.

If you want a computer, get a computer. Apple TV isn't really a computer - it is technically, but not in philosophy.

All that said, I'd be willing to switch to a Google/Sony device if I like it more, but my main concern is ease of use, which includes iTunes compatibility. I'm not interested in outgeeking people, bragging about specs, or long lists of features. I'm interested in useability.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
First thoughts:

1) If it plays nicely with the AppleTV-preset Handbrake encodes, a lot of frustrated AppleTV users could make the switch overnight. Take out one set-top box, plug in another.

2) Integration with BluRay players would be ideal, even if it means a higher than average costing player. I'm glad they're looking into this.

3) Say what you will about Microsoft, but Google's "we want to own all data" mentality gives me the shakes. Sony has a habit of designing overpriced and impractical hardware, and of letting it atrophy once they have a dominant position. All things considered, I'd rather invest in an Apple product over the long term.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
AppleTV is crippled by it's (for all practical purposes to the average consumer) unbreakable link with iTunes. Until Apple allows people to separate the ATV from iTunes (i.e. never), the AppleTV is not going to have the widespread commercial success that the iPod has had.

3) Say what you will about Microsoft, but Google's "we want to own all data" mentality gives me the shakes... All things considered, I'd rather invest in an Apple product over the long term.

You're aware that Apple wants to own all your data as well, right?

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
You're aware that Apple wants to own all your data as well, right?

Not in the same context, but yes. :) I find the push to get me to buy my content from iTunes instead of a physical source to be very intrusive... so I only use iTunes for free stuff. I know that using an iPhone puts a lot of my personal data in Apple's hands, but so far, the tradeoff has been worth it.

Google, on the other hand, bought Dejanews, only to turn it into crap. Gmail scans my mail in order to give me targeted advertising. They keep getting involved in nebulous side-ventures, the only purpose for which seems to be increasing the amount of raw data under their sole ownership.

I'd never say Apple is perfect or altruistic, but overall, I'd rather make a deal with them than Google or Sony. Intel I have no strong feelings about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.