Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Why is there no iPad Educational Discount in the US, and is there any chance there will be one in the UK?

For a product priced at what it is, and being so ideally suited to students, it seems incredibly harsh not to offer the educational discount Apple has provided on every other computer it sells for years..

steamtoy

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
There isn't an education discount on the iPhone either; it has to do with subscriptions to 3g services iirc. There won't be one in the UK either.

Believe me, there will be in summer. The iPad is sold in store. No contract reqired

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
One of apple's bg selling points for the ipad is the low cost. If they went lower for students, it would undermine that. (in their mind, not mine!)

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
For a $500 tablet computer, perfectly suited to students, the lack of an edu discount is pretty pathetic..

Major fail.

it only being $499 is a discount for a tablet computer.Apple does not owe you a discout on every product they make..

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Why is there no iPad Educational Discount in the US, and is there any chance there will be one in the UK?

My guess is that Apple is selling the iPad on razor-thin margins. There is no room for additional discounts in the retail chain.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

For a product priced at what it is, and being so ideally suited to students, it seems incredibly harsh not to offer the educational discount Apple has provided on every other computer it sells for years..

Harsh? It's 500$, not 2500$. Apple would've offer the discount if it was 1000$. Apple is not obligated to offer discounts to student at all and that goes for everybody.

Campus stores will be getting the iPad at a discount bulk price, you might want to wait and ask the campus store if they'll do the discount for you.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

"Apple has begun offering 10-pack iPad bundles for educational institutions, with a modest discount for quantity purchases. Each package includes ten iPads paired with USB-to-Dock Connector cables and power adapters, while a single set of documentation is shipped with each order.
The 10-packs reduce the price of each iPad by $20 for hardware-only purchases, with a $40 savings when AppleCare coverage is added to each device. The company is currently only offering Wi-Fi-enabled iPads through the education stores, including 16GB, 32GB or 64GB models.

Individual iPads carry the standard retail pricing through Apple's educational program. "

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

For a $500 tablet computer, perfectly suited to students, the lack of an edu discount is pretty pathetic..

Major fail.

While the iPad may work well for some students, I don't know that students are the specific target market. The MacBook and the MBP are still more targeted for that market. The iPad is more of a consumer device in my opinion.

In regards to an Ed Discount, what is the discount for MB and MBP? 5% on the lower items and 7% on the higher? $100 - $200 total on items over $1000 to $3000? Keeping the same percentages, you would likely only see a 3% to 5% reduction on a $500 iPad, $20-$25, hardly something to be outraged over. If you are expecting a $200 discount on a $500 iPad, you are dreaming.

Edit: Exactly my point
The 10-packs reduce the price of each iPad by $20 for hardware-only purchases

Spudracer

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2009
I have a son heading off to college in the fall. I'm anxious to get my hands on the iPad to see if it can be a good tool for a student. Walking around all day with a 1.5 lb tablet sure beats a backpack full of books. I don't imagine it will replace a full computer but if this can be used for mobility and you have an iMac or Macbook Pro back in your dorm room, it may be great. Anyway, at $500 I think the iPad is about the most affordable piece of quality gear a student could buy....if it can do the job. We'll see.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
As two people have already pointed out in this thread, there is a 10 pack deal of ipads sold to educational institutions that saves a total of $210.. But people you guys are still debating it?? :confused::confused:

Edit: to be fair I guess the OP was talking about a discount for individual students, which there isn't

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Even the Mac mini gets a $50 student discount so it's surprising you have to buy 10 iPad's just to get a $20 discount/iPad. Their margins must be thinner than we expected.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
Oh, good heavens.

We are talking here about a possible discount of maybe fifty dollars on a $499 product. Is this really worth the energy to generate faux outrage like this?

Major fail.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
As two people have already pointed out in this thread, there is a 10 pack deal of ipads sold to educational institutions that saves a total of $210.. But people you guys are still debating it?? :confused::confused:

Edit: to be fair I guess the OP was talking about a discount for individual students, which there isn't

But we enjoy beating a dead horse :rolleyes:

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009

Major fail.

Your greed amazes me. Apple does not owe you anything, especially a discount for a self-entitled whiny customer.

Get off your high horse and get a job. I am in the position where $50 is a lot of money, and I am not diminishing the fact that a discount could be helpful.

But people like you irritate the fire out of me. People who complain like you do create a gap between the customer and the business and businesses begin to treat us all like greedy bastards who are too stupid to understand the problem.

I apologize for the rant. I wrote this in anger, but I still think it needs to be said.

nwxtl88

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
There is one major point that everyone seems to be overlooking. The iPad has just gone on sale with a huge pent up demand. There is no reason for it to be discounted yet. I ordered mine through the epp store (employee discount program that many businesses have made with Apple) and there was no discount on the iPad, but there were discounts for the accessories.

Wait a few months and the iPad will probably be discounted too. Although we all know it will be so incredibly popular and successful, selling 2-3 million per month that Apple might not discount it for a year... .

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
There is one major point that everyone seems to be overlooking. The iPad has just gone on sale with a huge pent up demand. There is no reason for it to be discounted yet.
This comment has been made several times, but it's completely without precedent. As far as I can recall, nothing has ever launched without an educational discount and later received one.

In fact, iPods went the opposite way--a modest discount on several models was removed along with general price drops a few years back.

I think it's just time people accepted the fact that there is no personal discount on the iPad, just like there isn't on other iPhone OS products.

Seo

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Cupertino, California
My guess is that Apple is selling the iPad on razor-thin margins. There is no room for additional discounts in the retail chain.

If you only count the cost of the parts, not really:

isuppli_01_1265839608.jpg

But if you factor in the production, research, and advertising costs... maybe.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I qualify for an education discount and am NOT surprised there isn't one. So you have to go without pizza and Jägermeister for 2 weekends - get over it.

Kingpin52

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
California
Oh, good heavens.

We are talking here about a possible discount of maybe fifty dollars on a $499 product. Is this really worth the energy to generate faux outrage like this?

Apple made $3.4 Billion dollars profit in 3 months! Talk about an outrage. Apple could at least cut a few students a break of $50. Joe Snobs and his crew can afford to give a little back, schools (therefore students) are who kept Apple alive for a decade.

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/2...it-for-q1-2010-on-highest-revenue-in-history/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.