Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2002
As you guys know, Clarksfield is Intel's quad-core mobile i7, and the newer Arrandale is the more efficient (but less powerful) dual-core variant. Many people here are saying there's no chance in hell Apple will ever put Clarksfield-CPUs into the new MBPs, not even as a BTO-option, but... why? I don't know much about processors, so I'm just going by the TDP: Clarksfield has a TDP of 45w, Arrandale uses 35w. Can someone who knows more about this stuff tell me whether this difference of 10w is really THAT significant? It just seems like many of the comments in the vein of "Clarksfield would reduce your battery life to 1.5 hours" are FUD. Or is it really possible that an MBP that manages 7 hours with Arrandale (I assume they would) will suddenly only run 90 minutes on battery with Clarksfield? I would assume that there would be a slight reduction in battery life due to Clarksfield's higher TDP, but could it really be that severe? Basically, I'd like to hear about the differences between these CPUs from someone who knows about processor design and can judge them objectively.

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
I'd say a 25% increase in power consumption would be fairly horrendous yes.

you'd logically get about 1/4 to 1/5th less running time.

For Apple to drop from 7 hours back down to 5, would be a fairly horrendous marketing fup up.

Also it's 45nm which is old tech...

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2002
But a reduction of battery life to 5 hours is not the same as a reduction to 90 minutes, which is what many posters on this forum polemically claim for Clarksfield. For many users, myself included, a battery life of 5 hours would be absolutely acceptable, so your post reinforces my desire for a Clarksfield-BTO-option.

nimski62

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Except EVERY clarksfeild notebook out there suffers from overheating easily + 1.5-2 hours battery life TOP on a 6-9 cell battery. They're just not meant to go in a notebook.. PERIOD.

Sn0wball

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
England
Less wattage/thermal dissipation =

Longer battery life
Less heat
Less stress on components
Less need for constant cooling fans etc.
Quieter
Healthier laptop

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
So if Apple really rejected the Arrandale chip because of the integrated GPU, what does that hold in store for an Arrandale in a MBP any time soon??? :confused:

mastercool10

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
apparently the reason for the delay more has to do with the new video chips.

But what do i know. These are just rumors anyways

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Except EVERY clarksfeild notebook out there suffers from overheating easily

That's a bold statement. My Asus G73JH has no such overheating issues.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jha1-order-p-2731.html

And if you'll take a look at the back of it you'll see why.

I'll also argue that the Clarksfield has a VERY STRONG right to be in "notebooks", especially for people who need something closer to the performance of a desktop in a portable ENOUGH form factor for those people who's jobs regularly require they be at remote locations for moderately long [1-2 weeks plus] periods of time.

That said, I WOULD NOT want one in a macbook. I just can't see real world use of the increased performance over the arrandale, which *IS* a more efficient processor. The added issues of weight, size, and heat are also real issues, and I can't argue that real world battery usage is a concern as well, especially since the clarksfield doesn't have built in discreet graphics like the Arrandale. [you do NOT wanna know how fast an i720m attached to a Radeon 5870m can tank a battery under any kind of load--but it *IS* kinda funny to watch]

At any rate, I've always seen the macbook pro line as a "middle road" performer. Balanced between performance, battery life, style, and portability. I also think Arrandale will be a good addition to the macbook line in 2012, when they may actually be released [I'm sorry, I had to say it]

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
That's a bold statement. My Asus G73JH has no such overheating issues.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jha1-order-p-2731.html

And if you'll take a look at the back of it you'll see why.

I'll also argue that the Clarksfield has a VERY STRONG right to be in "notebooks", especially for people who need something closer to the performance of a desktop in a portable ENOUGH form factor for those people who's jobs regularly require they be at remote locations for moderately long [1-2 weeks plus] periods of time.

That said, I WOULD NOT want one in a macbook. I just can't see real world use of the increased performance over the arrandale, which *IS* a more efficient processor. The added issues of weight, size, and heat are also real issues, and I can't argue that real world battery usage is a concern as well, especially since the clarksfield doesn't have built in discreet graphics like the Arrandale. [you do NOT wanna know how fast an i720m attached to a Radeon 5870m can tank a battery under any kind of load--but it *IS* kinda funny to watch]

At any rate, I've always seen the macbook pro line as a "middle road" performer. Balanced between performance, battery life, style, and portability. I also think Arrandale will be a good addition to the macbook line in 2012, when they may actually be released [I'm sorry, I had to say it]

Your Asus G73JH IS a VERY impressive machine...!!! I do photo editing using Lightroom and Elements 6 right now. Performance is key for me. Currently I have a 6 yro 17" PB 1.5 w/ 1.5GB that is just too slow and will not run Photoshop CS4 or Aperture 3. I need to upgrade. I want a powerful desktop replacement that I can use in my lap sitting in my easy chair. 7-8 hour battery life would be nice but not essential as it is real easy to plug in when needed.

I paid over $3k for my PB when it was new. I REALLY don't want to spend that kind of money again.

I will check out this Asus... Thanks for the heads up. How soon will you be getting it? PM when you do. I'd like to hear your impressions of this machine.

shadygrove

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
I here you there on the PowerBook. My PB 1.67 bought in 05' gets around 850 on geek bench...lol!

I won't be buying anything other than an apple product, but if I can get serious deal on a current model, I will buy it and just wait for Sandy Bridge to release.

My god I hope its Tuesday, I really need a new computer.

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
I here you there on the PowerBook. My PB 1.67 bought in 05' gets around 850 on geek bench...lol!

I won't be buying anything other than an apple product, but if I can get serious deal on a current model, I will buy it and just wait for Sandy Bridge to release.

My god I hope its Tuesday, I really need a new computer.

I just ran my PB 1.5... 735 is what I got... LOL....

I'm thinking about a Mini to get me by for awhile. I have a 19" LCD monitor that is just collecting dust. I was wanting a 27" iMac but with all the problems I read about, I am REAL hesitant....

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
So if Apple really rejected the Arrandale chip because of the integrated GPU, what does that hold in store for an Arrandale in a MBP any time soon??? :confused:

D: Hopefully this is not the case.

I had the chance to read a bit about microprocessors today. Sandy Bridge in 2011 and an even smaller successor at 22nm codenamed Ivy Bridge I believe in 2012. By then, I wonder if Apple will still have MBPs. The advancement of technology in our lifetime is really impressive I must admit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.