Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Whenever i connect the composite video adapter to my ibook and try to watch a dvd the video on the TV fades in and out; it gets darker and lighter, but this doesnt happen when playing realplayer, or quicktime videos, only when viewing dvds. does anyone know whats up with that?

MikeLaRiviere

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Power Management

Check your Energy Saver settings in System Preferences. Be sure to set them to "DVD Playback." This issue may be caused by your system automatically darkening the screen in order to save battery life.

However, as I write this post, I wonder why the darkening would arise on an external display.

If my suggestion doesn't solve the problem, let me know.

Mike LaRiviere

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
That sounds like the result of Macrovision copy protection kicking in.

It shouldn't be your iBook causing the problem, are you running the the video through a VCR or other piece of equipment before reaching your TV? It could be the Macrovision chip in that piece of equipment detecting the Macro signal and degrading the picture quality, try running the video straight into the TV and see if it improves.

If you're already running it directly into the TV I'm really not sure what the problem could be.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I'll second the Macrovision theory. I've had problems with Macrovision between my DVD Player and my VCR, and the result is exactly as you describe -- the picture fades in and out, and sometimes the colors are a little messed up.

I regularly connect my iBook to my VCR to view video through the TV, but I never view _DVDs_ in this configuration so I've never had the specific problem you describe. Wouldn't surprise me if Macrovision would mess that up, though.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
It is Macrovision, it should work fine if you connect the video directly to the moniter, as i understand it Macrovision sends a signal in the video that causes the autogain on the video recorder play up, hence the bright & dark pictures. Most monitors dont have autogain so are not affected by this. VLC VideoLAN player my get round the problem.

tobynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone; I have been plugging it throught the VCR, so I'll try going directly to the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.