Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I just bought a 2g 16gb iPhone off eBay. Every time I turn it on, the message "Edit home screen To arrange icons...." with a "dismiss" option on the bottom pops up. The thing is, when I press dismiss, it doesn't go away. I can push the home button, but it doesn't do anything. The power button just brings the phone into the standby screen. I managed to put some songs on the phone and when i double click the home button from the standby screen the songs play, but I still cannot hit the dismiss button.

I tried restoring the phone to 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 several times. Also, before I jailbreak the phone I have a chance to get into the emergency screen and I can push all the buttons. This leads me to think thats its not the touch screen problem, otherwise that part of the screen wouldn't work in the emergency mode.

I've done a lot of reading on this problem today and people have SSH'd into their phone, however I cannot do that since I cant turn on the WIFI.

So, any suggestions on how I can fix this phone?

Thanks n advance

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
Take it to an Apple Store, and ask them if they know whats going wrong. If they do, then Yay! you fixed your problem. If not then I guess you bought an iPhone for spare parts. Did you read the discription?

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Take it to an Apple Store, and ask them if they know whats going wrong. If they do, then Yay! you fixed your problem. If not then I guess you bought an iPhone for spare parts. Did you read the discription?

Its out of warranty.

It did state in the description thats its broken, I actually misread the auction as being for a broken 3g 16gb - which is what I'm looking for. So since I just paid $200 for a phone that I didnt need (because of my mistake :eek: ), I figured I'll try to salvage the situation

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I think maybe you don't understand English too well? What do you mean you wanted a broken 3g?

I understand english perfectly (or so I though :) )

I am looking to purchase a broken 3G 16gb iphone. I have my reasons for that.

I ended up purchasing a broken 2G 16gb iphone instead and am now looking for advice on how I can fix it.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Actually, I've just fixed it. I restored via itunes to a previous back up from my iphone 3gs and the phone is now miraculously working fully. It was a software problem all along.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I understand english perfectly (or so I though :) )

I am looking to purchase a broken 3G 16gb iphone. I have my reasons for that.

I ended up purchasing a broken 2G 16gb iphone instead and am now looking for advice on how I can fix it.

This forum is focused on firmware and software, not hardware.

Perhaps you have a bad touchscreen ??

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
UPDATE

I just restored it back to fresh 3.1.3 software and its back to the same thing.

So to sum it up, it works, as long as I use an old itunes backup...Any ideas on what this maybe?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Yes. You bought a phone with a broken digitizer. Either replace the screen and digitizer (I don't believe you can replace the digitizer separately) or sell it to someone in need of some other parts.

adouglas100

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Actually, I've just fixed it. I restored via itunes to a previous back up from my iphone 3gs and the phone is now miraculously working fully. It was a software problem all along.

My iPhone has done the same thing. What software did you restore your iphone back to ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.