Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I ran into something weird. I pre ordered a 16GB Wifi iPad as soon as they went up on Apple.com. After thinking about it for a few weeks I decided that I want the 32GB instead so I called up Apple to see if they could change my order for me. The girl said she would have to cancel it and make a new order. I was kinda worried that I would lose my "place" but she assured me that it will still be delivered on the 3rd.

Anyway, to get to the point, I noticed on Apple.com that it says the Case is expected to ship Mid April but the girl asked if I wanted to order a case with the new order. I asked when it would ship and she said it would ship right away then corrected herself and said it would ship with the iPad and I would get it on the 3rd as well. If anyone wants the case but doesn't want to wait, you should call Apple.com and order over the phone.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I just called and tried to see if they added it to my order if it would ship by 4/3 and they guy added it to my order and it still said shipping on 4/15. Due to the delay I asked him to remove, so now it shows the Apple case on my order status, but as cancelled.

If you get it on 4/3 more power to you, but I'll probably opt for a sleeve until the 3rd party cases roll out, or I might call my Apple store and see if they have any.

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Maybe the girl I spoke to didn't realize they are backordered until the 15th. I personally didn't order one, I don't want a case that stays on it all the time. I'm gonna get an incase neoprene sleeve like I have for my MBP.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Yah I did the same thing, preordered on the first day but the 32 gig version and a few days later called for them to change it to 64 gig. They had to cancel and replace the order, but the case is now shipping mid april. I guess you lose your place in the queue.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Yah I did the same thing, preordered on the first day but the 32 gig version and a few days later called for them to change it to 64 gig. They had to cancel and replace the order, but the case is now shipping mid april. I guess you lose your place in the queue.

Well, I think they sold out of their initial stock of cases in the first few hours of online orders. I placed my iPad preorder within 10min of it being available and then decided a couple hours later that I might want to get the case and by then it was showing mid-April.

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I better still get my iPad on the 3rd, I'll be really mad if for some reason they ran out of the inital batch. The girl told me they are still taking pre orders for the first shipment.

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
I personally didn't order one, I don't want a case that stays on it all the time.

Is there any reason to believe that it will be difficult get the iPad in and out of the case frequently? Is the case designed to "stay on all the time"?

I ordered the Apple iPad Case for protection in transit, for use as a typing stand and for picture frame/display mode. However, I was certainly expecting to regularly take it out of the case and use it naked. What's the point in getting a 1/2 inch, 1.5 pound device and bulking it up all the time with a case?

Does anybody have any info/insight?

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I ordered my case with my iPad and it says it ships by April 3rd, but my iPad says it's delivered on April 3rd. So I don't know if I'll get them at the same time or not.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I have a hunch that there will be cheaper knock-offs exactly like this Orbino for $25 on Ebay in a short while.

As an example, I bought a very nice leather envelope case for my Air on Ebay for $20, three months after the Air was launched.

That same case was over $100 at launch.

pee cee hater

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Florida
Secondary Case

I purchased a iPad case from Amazon called Casecrown to use until the Apple case gets here. My understanding is that the Apple case and the iPad will fit in the Casecrown, so I plan to use it as extra protection when I throw it in my backpack. It is faux suede leather with a zipper and has a zippered pocket. I think it comes in four colors, I paid $12.21 for it... and it's here... empty.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I originally thought the case looked great, but am now going to opt for something else. I've seen a few cases on iLounge that look pretty good so I may wait a few weeks to see what the competition comes out with. I may even get crafty and make my own.

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
What material is the official iPad case made of? I'm wondering if it is going to be feel cheap?

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
BSKXS-BLR1s.jpg

http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/iPad-cases/boa-skin-xs-black-iPad-sleeve

I got this case. I'm pretty impressed by Booq. All their cases look like pretty good stuff, but I have no need for a messenger bag. There's a good chance I'll get the Apple case, but I'll use this one for now. Just didn't want the iPad totally naked at all. Too much chance for scratches and breakage. I like the idea of a sleeve better as it allows for ease of use (this one has a "hard" side for screen protection...). However, I'm not sure how using the iPad with iWork and email (typing) will be without it at a slight angle that the Apple case provides. I'm thinking that I will buy it if available (I'm getting my iPad at the Apple Store...they've gotta have some cases) and make the decision then.

ImaVeggie

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I think I will be getting this case.

http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=320

It doesn't look as bulky as the Apple case, and it seems the iPad will be easily removable.

I am sewing some fleece together until it is ready.

Hello Kindred Spirit... I too think this is the case for me. I emailed Macally re: the material as it looks like it could be suede; I don't use leather.

I also will be making a fleece slip-in case in the mean time. I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;)

hualon

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I'm pretty impressed by Booq. All their cases look like pretty good stuff

TSNXS-BLK3s.jpg

I'm glad to hear you say that. I just ordered a Booq Taipan Sneak sleeve specifically because it has a zipper (and it's shipping now!). The open sleeves concern me. I worry about crud getting in between the case and the screen and scratching.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
TSNXS-BLK3s.jpg

I'm glad to hear you say that. I just ordered a Booq Taipan Sneak sleeve specifically because it has a zipper (and it's shipping now!). The open sleeves concern me. I worry about crud getting in between the case and the screen and scratching.

You know...that's a good point. Didn't think of that. I may have to consider the zipper. However, the thing I was thinking about that particular case is the fact that it's just like my Incase zipper sleeve for my MBP...no hard protection. Not really a problem for my MBP as the screen is pretty much protected by the MBP itself. Not so with the iPad. The case I ordered has a "hard" side for the screen side. That gives at least SOME protection against bumps and possible strikes that would otherwise crack the screen. Plus...with the iPad having a SPECIFIC spot in the bags I'll be carrying it in...I think I can limit the crud in the sleeve. I'm also going to try to get a screen protector at some point. We'll see what comes out. Probably look at Power Support. I have their Anti-Glare 3G screen for my iPhone and I LOVE it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.