Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firteen888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Hey All,

I've been browsing the accessory thread and there are some nice looking products there, but they all seem to be for pre-order only. I'd really like to have a case and a screen protector ready for when I pick up my ipad on April 3rd. is there anything available that's shipping now?

Thanks

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Waterfield Designs (sfbags.com) has a number of cases for preorder but I just got an email from them saying that the Ultimate Sleeve Case for iPad will ship on March 31 via Priority Mail for delivery well in time for the iPad!!!!

Check out that case -- very protective and nice looking too. I love Waterfield anyway!

firteen888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
that does look like a really nice case, and pretty much what I was looking for. Does waterfield generally make good cases? I'm not familiar with them and $75 (with shoulder strap) for a case seems a bit steep. if they're known for high quality cases i'll take my chance

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
There are plenty of 7" netbook cases out. These are pretty much the same a iPad cases except for the extra "iPad tax." $9 vs. $25. I'm there.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
that does look like a really nice case, and pretty much what I was looking for. Does waterfield generally make good cases? I'm not familiar with them and $75 (with shoulder strap) for a case seems a bit steep. if they're known for high quality cases i'll take my chance

I have a sleeve from them for my MacBook Air, plus a Vertigo bag, plus a Muzetto bag, plus a Kindle sleeve, various small accessory pouches, and also they have a fantastic wallet too! I LOVE Waterfield products -- smart design, quality construction, and great protection -- totally top-notch and they look great too! Plus made locally in San Francisco, plus fantastic customer service, fast and cheap shipping -- I could go on and on.

They are a great company and you will be very pleased with whatever you order from them!

firteen888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Thanks for the info guys. I just can't decide if I want a case that stays on the ipad 100% of the time or if I just want a case for travel. Which route do you guys plan on taking?

Also, are there any screen protectors shipping yet? I'd like to put one on right away if possible.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
What about Power Support? Does anyone know if they will be producing their screen protector for the ipad?

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Thanks for the info guys. I just can't decide if I want a case that stays on the ipad 100% of the time or if I just want a case for travel. Which route do you guys plan on taking?

Also, are there any screen protectors shipping yet? I'd like to put one on right away if possible.

I'm doing both. I ordered and received one of those gel sleeves (that covers the back and sides of the iPad) AND I made/crocheted a case with a handle and outside pocket to carry it. The iPad will fit in my custom made case with the gel sleeve on. ;)

I'm not doing the screen protector . . . must be a good reason Apple pulled them :(

firteen888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
I'm not doing the screen protector . . . must be a good reason Apple pulled them

There's only two reason I can think of.

1. they don't want people thinking the screen scratches easily

2. They want the screens to scratch easier so users buy newer generation ipads

Either way, it can't hurt to throw a screen protector on there. Even if it's just for peace of mind. The one I have on my iphone is great for finger print reduction....I just forget who makes it :(

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
What about Power Support? Does anyone know if they will be producing their screen protector for the ipad?

Those guys are pretty full of themselves, i sent them an email a few weeks ago asking about that and never got a reply. Actually i never get a reply from them when i ask something.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Those guys are pretty full of themselves, i sent them an email a few weeks ago asking about that and never got a reply. Actually i never get a reply from them when i ask something.

Really? That's a shame. Great product (IMO), but bad service kills :(

wrxdrunkie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Really? I'm fairly impressed. :) They look well made and fit the style well, IMO. To each their own, I guess.

I agree bigdog, the sleeve seems more than adequate. I am not sure I would buy an actual bag from them, especially after seeing some of the prices.

pee cee hater

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Florida
Casecrown

I bought a zippered iPad case called Casecrown from Amazon, I received it about a week ago. They seemed to have several available.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
It looks like some of the Macally iPad accessories are now available. Their status has changed from "Coming Soon" to "Buy Now".

http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ipad.asp

I especially like their BookStand case http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=320. Standard shipping seems a bit high ($8), but i may give it a shot.

Also, a couple of the iLuv accessories are also showing up in stock on their site and Amazon.

http://www.i-luv.com/product_sales.asp?category_cd=t41&cat_lev=1&&keyword=

Amazon prices seem much lower than iLuv MSRP, but the descriptions also don't match the item (or atleast the one's i've seen) example below.

http://www.amazon.com/ILUV-iCC801-Silicone-Case-iPad/dp/B003BIHX5S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269589624&sr=1-2

I posted this is the "Accessories" thread, but figured I should post it here too. One of the instock iLuv accessories is the mirror screen shield.

http://www.i-luv.com/product_detail.asp?idx=1493&keyword=Mirror%20Type%20Protective%20Film&category_cd=t41&cat_lev=1

A little pricey if you ask me, considering you will be able to get full body protection from Zagg or Phantomskinz for only a little bit more.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
I bought a cheap ($5 shipped) sleeve from ebay. That should hold me over a month or so until all the better quality sleeves start shipping.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I agree bigdog, the sleeve seems more than adequate. I am not sure I would buy an actual bag from them, especially after seeing some of the prices.

I ordered the black sleeve from them. It will be here next Tuesday. I'll post some pics when I get it. I like the bags, and would consider one if I didn't have plenty of bags already. I've got a Swiss Army business system on rollers for my MBP and major files, books, etc. A Swiss Army backpack that can take my MBP and books, but will probably use it now for iPad and books and then a satchel type leather bag for a the iPad and a book or two. Nice to be able to go with a lot of stuff, a medium amount of stuff or go light. :) So...a sleeve seems to fit the bill the best for me. Really considering Apple case, but wanted SOMETHING on day one. Don't like the idea of carrying the iPad around without anything on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.