Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I got a PS3 because the 360 hardware is absolute *****. When it became apparent that Blu Ray had beaten HD-DVD, that sealed the deal and I immediately purchased a 40GB PlayStation.

I have a Wii for the kids, but I reckon I'll pack that away as soon as the Move controllers are released.

:apple:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Basically people tend to buy whatever they want. You chose PS3 mostly because you had PS, PS2. Likewise I'm sure many of those with 360's previously owned an Xbox.

I went from PS2 to 360 :p

At the time, a PS3 was NZ$1199, and 360 Elite $799. There was no way that I was paying an extra $400, especially when most of the games that I was interested in were either multi-platform or 360-exclusive. I was also on the HD DVD side of the fence at the time (and I don't regret being able to pick up $2 movies after it flopped!), so Blu-ray didn't interest me.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Mac and PS3 user here, so, yup.
But I do have a 360 as well.
And a Wii too.
Still have the PS2 somewhere.
And the old Xbox is in storage in the hall.
Just on top of the old Gamecube.
I'm not sure if my old Nintento 64 is.
But the Playstation certainly is.

The only major non-mobile platform I don't have is a PC, but I always have the option of Boot Camp.

To be honest, I don't think there's any major correlation between choice of PC and choice of console. Every console has it's strengths and flaws, even though the major reason for owning all consoles (exclusive games) seem to be getting more and more rare.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I think it sucks that developers favor the X360 over the PS3 because they don't like dealing with PS3's hard learning curve.

This is Sony's fault for making the PS3 so hard to develop for. Sony and Microsoft make their platforms available with the hope that developers make games for them. If you make your platform hard to develop for and/or don't provide enough support to developers then your platform is going to suffer in terms of game quality and/or quantity. Sony only have themselves to blame.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
If you make your platform hard to develop for and/or don't provide enough support to developers then your platform is going to suffer in terms of game quality and/or quantity. Sony only have themselves to blame.

Not entirely, Sony has been very good in offering support to third party developers. These inferior ports aren't as bad as critics make them out to be except for the select few that are quite noticeable..ghostbusters, Fallout 3(Although I haven't had a single problem until the DLC launched) bayonetta. On the plus side developers are using the PS3 as the lead and thats shaping up quite well just look at recently released Battlefield Bad Company 2, Darksiders and Modern Warfare 2.

Op, I'm a mac user and I have nothing against MS, windows or any other console manufacturer...I go where the games are and thats why I have all the major gaming systems not because of loyalty to brand but GAMES.

Bless

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
not sure, i bought my first xbox360 before i ever had a mac, only really bought it because my PS2 was on it's last legs and it was cheap and had some mildly good games about for it, but then it died, bought another, it died too, so saved up a little and got a PS3, had it nearly 2 years now, still works fine, upgraded the HD for it to 500Gb, ( urgh 4 hours for backing up and restoring 32Gb of data wtf? ) but still works fine,

the only hiccup i get sometimes is PSN signs me out and dont like letting me connect sometimes of the day, but for the most part, it always work.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Not entirely, Sony has been very good in offering support to third party developers. These inferior ports aren't as bad as critics make them out to be except for the select few that are quite noticeable..ghostbusters, Fallout 3(Although I haven't had a single problem until the DLC launched) bayonetta. On the plus side developers are using the PS3 as the lead and thats shaping up quite well just look at recently released Battlefield Bad Company 2, Darksiders and Modern Warfare 2.

Op, I'm a mac user and I have nothing against MS, windows or any other console manufacturer...I go where the games are and thats why I have all the major gaming systems not because of loyalty to brand but GAMES.

Bless

Not sure about Bad Company 2 and Darksiders, but wasn't Modern Warfare 2 ported to PS3, not developed on it? I read somewhere that Infinity Ward favored the X360.

bcrguy

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
mac user who spent all his money on his new mac for school so i cant afford a ps3 right now.. but i want one.. il take a ps3 over a 360 anyday.. i have a psp, ps2 and a ps1 tho..

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Many gamers buy consoles for multiplayer games. Those users generally buy the consoles their friends have so they can play with them. That's why I got the Xbox360 3 years ago. That's also why I bought a PS3 this year.

Both are sweet and have their own advantages. It's just a different device.

More importantly, I feel like there isn't any real correlation between Mac users and game consoles.

2) Architecture wise both the 360 & Wii are closer to the Mac than the PS3. PS3 uses Cell & Blu-Ray (A mac has never used either ;) ) whereas both 360 & Wii use PowerPC Architecture, and therefore has more relationship to the mac.

I'm sorry but you're a bit off here... The Cell, 3-Core Xenon and the PPC Broadway are all different from the processors Apple used to use... but they are ALL manufactured by IBM and they are ALL part of the Power Architechture. :) Also the Broadway is a 32bit processor and I believe that most PPC's that Apple used were 64bit.

Anyway, irrelevant to the subject but I thought I should clarify.

I got a PS3 because the 360 hardware is absolute *****. When it became apparent that Blu Ray had beaten HD-DVD, that sealed the deal and I immediately purchased a 40GB PlayStation.

I have a Wii for the kids, but I reckon I'll pack that away as soon as the Move controllers are released.

:apple:

Wow... Fanboi much? 360 hardware is not worse than the PS3. It's different hardware built as a different system. Blue-Ray is the edge that PS3 has and that's great!

As for Wii vs. Move... That's a joke. Reports of the move say that it's not very responsive. Also, look how many games supported the EyeToy! :rolleyes:

Totally agree. With the help of PS3 Media Server and the console's built-in internet browser I am beginning to love my new PS3 Slim.

I use Majestic with my slim. It's free and does the same thing. http://majesticdotapp.com/

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
A PS3 would be more "future proof" because of the BR, but the 360 is cheaper and since I'm not interested in BR-movies right now (too expensive), I could always buy a dedicated BR-player when DVD goes the way of VHS.

Both machines have their exclusives and the titles that are available on both are practically identical in terms of graphics and sound.

So if I were to buy one NOW, it'd probably be a 360, simply because of pricing. But I'll most likely end up buying one of them dirt cheap in a couple of years, when their respective successors are released.
Until then, my PS2 and GC will do nicely...

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Just to clarify things. There have been Macs using Xenon processors, but not the same one in the 360.
Your clarification was incorrect. There have been no Macs that have used the Xenon processor. The Xenon is a custom CPU designed by IBM specifically for the 360. I believe you are thinking of the Xeon line of CPUs from Intel, which are currently used in the Mac Pros. These are two very different CPUs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Your clarification was incorrect. There have been no Macs that have used the Xenon processor. The Xenon is a custom CPU designed by IBM specifically for the 360. I believe you are thinking of the Xeon line of CPUs from Intel, which are currently used in the Mac Pros. These are two very different CPUs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon

Haha, yea. Totally messed up that one. :) I thought it was weird when I saw the MacPros with the Xeon and was like... Isn't that back to PPC? I knew it didn't make sense but couldn't put my finger on why. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

SteveLaidoffs

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Peoria, Il
hahah, never thought about that, I have always been playstation since I got older and realized nintendo has no adult games, I got the ps3 becuase it had a bluray, but I have no mac pride over getting a xbox

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Not sure about Bad Company 2 and Darksiders, but wasn't Modern Warfare 2 ported to PS3, not developed on it? I read somewhere that Infinity Ward favored the X360.

Yeah. Even the pc version is a port from the 360. Idk why they did that. They had a big enough budget, and the game isnt really that big anyway, so theres no reason (other than laziness and greed) that they couldn't code each console separately.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Yeah. Even the pc version is a port from the 360. Idk why they did that. They had a big enough budget, and the game isnt really that big anyway, so theres no reason (other than laziness and greed) that they couldn't code each console separately.

Isn't it EA Games? Is it a surprise? Haha

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Everything is either a tool or a toy and I don't care who makes it as long as it does what I'm looking for. Do I have preferences? Sure, but I'm not going to buy a product merely because it was made by a certain company. In the end, Apple, Sony, MS etc., are all massive, multi-national, billion dollar companies that care about what's in your wallet above all else. Everything in your house can be from Brand X but if you get hit by a bus tomorrow Brand X isn't going to send flowers to your funeral.

Lethal

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I have an Xbox 360, so no, us Mac users sometimes go for consoles other than the PS3.

I got it because I like the RPGs it has, such as Mass Effect 1 & 2, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia (also on PS3), plus it plays original Xbox games - I am about to finish KOTOR, and will play Jade Empire in the near future.

The other reason I bought it is because of shoot'em ups. I have Ikaruga and R-Type from XBLA, plus Raiden Fighter Aces and Raiden IV. Yes, I am a masochist.

It also works nicely to stream media from the Mac using Rivet.

I also have other good games for the plataform, like PGR4, Bioshock, Banjo Kazooie N&B, and others. Now all I need is time to play them all...

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
Owning an X360 would go against everything that I am about. It would just feel like "joining the other team" to me. I would view myself as a traitor if I got a 360. Yeah, brand matters to me. I'm sorry if that bothers you. Once I like a certain brand and dislike a certain brand, I stick with them. It's part of my loyalty to the companies I like.

For example... I only buy Samsung TVs and I only buy Apple computers. Now I only buy Sony gaming consoles.

dude.. do you realize the whole world is built on microsoft? i guess you don't go to hospitals or use airplanes or transportation or go to school, etc. etc. etc. because every single industry uses and supports microsoft

blind, fanatical brand loyalty is just ridiculous. at least use some type of argument. you basically don't like microsoft just because they're the "other guy"

for xbox vs ps3 it all comes down to the titles/content you want obviously

but some key differences are:
xbox360 is the pioneer in online console gaming, and they are ahead of ps3 in that department
xbox360 is easier to develop on and utilize its hardware resources
ps3 is more difficult to develop on but has greater potential in terms of hardware
ps3 has blu ray, and i would contend that it is the superior media center
ps3 move has already been announced, project natal is still in development

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
dude.. do you realize the whole world is built on microsoft? i guess you don't go to hospitals or use airplanes or transportation or go to school, etc. etc. etc. because every single industry uses and supports microsoft

blind, fanatical brand loyalty is just ridiculous. at least use some type of argument. you basically don't like microsoft just because they're the "other guy"

for xbox vs ps3 it all comes down to the titles/content you want obviously

but some key differences are:
xbox360 is the pioneer in online console gaming, and they are ahead of ps3 in that department
xbox360 is easier to develop on and utilize its hardware resources
ps3 is more difficult to develop on but has greater potential in terms of hardware
ps3 has blu ray, and i would contend that it is the superior media center
ps3 move has already been announced, project natal is still in development

1. Who cares if there's a lot of people using Microsoft stuff everyday… doesn't mean it has to be in my house too.

2. I haven't had any issues with the free Playstation Network. I don't understand what's so bad about it (besides cross-game voice chat)

3. I don't develop for X360 so that doesn't matter to me. If the game is good, then I'll play it.

4. Blu-ray is nice but I already had a dedicated Blu-ray player

5. I'm not interested in the Move one single bit.

I buy products based on quality, not features. I don't have much faith in Microsoft products, but I have a lot of faith in Apple and Samsung for bringing high quality stuff to the market. I'm sorry it bothers you, but that's just the way I am. If I bought a Microsoft product, I would feel guilty about it. It was bad enough running their OS on my Mac, but now I don't need Windows at all thanks to Playstation 3!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.