Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Hi all, I'm a dutch photographer (don't mind my english) considering switching from pc to mac. What is holding me is I think its quite an investment buying a MBP and a Mac Pro at the same time. I was wondering.........because I also need a notebook......would an MBP also do the job doing all the processing of Photoshop? (It still needs to go very smooth like on a desktop so no hicks during any actions.) If so...then I could first buy a MBP and later on a Mac Pro. I definately need the notebook on location.

Grtz, Jim

thabends

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
I think it would depend on which MBP you're considering. 13" 2.26, 2GB RAM might not suffice. On the other hand, a full blown 15" or 17" should do just fine.

JHF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I think it would depend on which MBP you're considering. 13" 2.26, 2GB RAM might not suffice. On the other hand, a full blown 15" or 17" should do just fine.

Was thinking about the 15" 2.66

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
Was thinking about the 15" 2.66

No probs at all - just get as much ram as you can and if you don't get a 17" have an external monitor to hook up - you'll really appreciate the extra real estate.

thabends

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
No probs at all - just get as much ram as you can and if you don't get a 17" have an external monitor to hook up - you'll really appreciate the extra real estate.

I would say go ahead and buy the monitor you'll be using with the MP now, use it with the MBP until then. As long as you have 4GB RAM or more you should be fine...RAM is much cheaper elsewhere, so don't pay for 8GB from Apple. Upgrade to more later if needed.

JHF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I would say go ahead and buy the monitor you'll be using with the MP now, use it with the MBP until then. As long as you have 4GB RAM or more you should be fine...RAM is much cheaper elsewhere, so don't pay for 8GB from Apple. Upgrade to more later if needed.

At home I work with an Eizo CG241W. So the monitor is ok. Now I have more confidence in buying a MBP 15" 2.66. Thank you all.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
I'm using an old 2.17 15incher to do my photoshop work on an almost daily basis. It's a real workhorse, though I do have problems with blacks and very dark or black details on blacks - I find them hard to make out sometimes and try to move the screen angle around to really see it distinctly. That problem isn't there with the glossy screen uMBPs though, (I have a glossy 13 here).

One thing about the 15incher really is it does get very cramped on here when you've got a heavy session going. At times I do wish I was on a 17inch, and, when the new MBPs are out, I may consider one as I never use the external LG LCD here.

jaysinnva

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
I'm going to say it also depends on what camera you're using. Files from my 10.2mp D200 aren't going to be nearly as large and cumbersome to work with as files from something like a 5Dmk2.

With that said, my early '08 MBP works great with CS3 and my D200.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't have problems running PS on my MBPs, though I've been thinking about getting an SSD. I have a small one on my 15" MBP and it is pretty amazing how much faster the computer got.

JHF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I don't have problems running PS on my MBPs, though I've been thinking about getting an SSD. I have a small one on my 15" MBP and it is pretty amazing how much faster the computer got.

I hope you all don't laugh but........what is an SSD?

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
A MBP is definitely good for Photoshop work. 4 GB RAM is minimal I have found out, 8 GB is a major definite plus. Add a Solid State Drive on top of that and you are completely set. What SSD brand you use though helps a lot! Intel is good and I'm finding out OWC's is even better.

By the way, your English is just fine.

JHF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a computer wiz) but if I'm looking for speed in Photoshop isn't it enough to look for 8GB RAM instead of an expensive SSD? Will the SSD not just give me a faster startup from PS? For all action (calculations) within PS I thought its not depending on the harddrive but more on the GB RAM? Or am I completely missing the point here?:confused:

Moocher

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
NE Atlanta area
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a computer wiz) but if I'm looking for speed in Photoshop isn't it enough to look for 8GB RAM instead of an expensive SSD? Will the SSD not just give me a faster startup from PS? For all action (calculations) within PS I thought its not depending on the harddrive but more on the GB RAM? Or am I completely missing the point here?:confused:

You are correct. Install your own RAM. Don't worry about a SSD. Try the 15" MBP with an external monitor when not on the road. IF you feel the need you can add the Mac Pro later, but you may not. Make sufficient provisions for backups on and off the road!

Mooch

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I know that you cannot beat technology and development is an ongoing thing, but this is the time, when you might have to wait. New MBPs are coming out in the near future and the new Adobe pack is coming out next months, I think.

Wait 6-8 weeks and you'll be glad to be on top of the current technology.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
PS runs fine on my 1201n netbook even so it will definitely work well with any macbook pro. Some things obviously take a bit longer with less computing and graphics horsepower but it does work just fine. Oh and SSD makes a huge difference with PS!

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I'd be less concerned with the processing power and more concerned with the glossy glare AND the glassy glare coming from the screens.

I think that the matte screen is superb, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.