Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesli_1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Mount Isa, OZ
Hi,

The Combo Drive in my iBook is refusing to mount any CD's - I insert the disc, it makes a few quiet noises like it normally does before it mounts the disc and spins up, then ejects the disc after 10-20 seconds.

However, DVD's work in the drive with no problems.

I figured the lens may be dirty, so I tried to use a lens cleaning disc, but it just spits that out too.

I've even tried resetting the PRAM and PMU, but I still have the same problem.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
What kinds of disks are you having problems with? Music CDs? Burned ones? Store bought? -R? -RW? Blank? Any and all?

I've had that kind of thing happen a couple times and it was the media.

josephbr3

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Experiencing identical combo drive problem here

My combo drive just started exhibiting that exact behavior a few weeks ago. DVDs still work fine; however, I've been using an external drive to play CDs and load music into the iTunes library. My combo drive will just spit them out, or they'll spin continuously and the unit will ignore the eject command.

I've already been through the hassle of sending this unit in THREE times for the logic board issue, so I'm beginning to feel like I got a lemon instead of an apple. Any info you have to share about the combo drive problem would be much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.