Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
So, after reading some of the issues with the Runcore Pro IV from a few users and my own personal experience of trying to deal with them on a Zif/Pata drive for a hackintosh HP Mini, I'm a bit leary of Runcore.

For those of you with Runcore Pro IV's in your MacBook Air can you comment on:
- I see that the Pro IV has an Indilinx controller - yet you're still needing to update the firmware?
- Does that mean that performance is degrading over time?
- Are there firmware update tools for the mac? Or do you need Windows?
- Do you think the users that are having support issues are isolated occurrences?

Thanks for any insight...

Shrek-Moscow

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
..after FW upgrade everything is fine..

I have a RunCore 128 GB SSD for my rev A Air (pata zif
interface) and, after the FW update, I'm really satisfied.

Before updating the FW performance where really down,
expecially in 4k read and random reads.. frustrating. I've
tried everything I could: shredit X, formatting and
reinstalling, repartitioning of the drive and multiple
combination of the previous.. but nothing seemed to
restore original performances.

The FW upgrade was all I needed, after that the
SSD come back to his brand-new performance!! Since than nothing
has changed in the first few weeks.. despite the fact that
I'm using my Air as download machine and that i've
already moved files for several times my free space..

Moreover, despite the lack of informations, it IS
possible to reflash FW on RunCore SSD without removing it
from our Macs, we do need however an optical drive to boot
the computer using a specific DOS CD (prepared with Isolinux?). You can send a request to Runcore to receive back an .iso file prepared to be burned on a cd, that it is working without problems..

Now I'm happy!

TanToday

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
I have a day one, MacBook Air 1.1 - 1.6 that came with the standard 80G ZIF PATA drive. Bought and installed a 64GB RUNCORE SSD .

Immediately, after installing the BRAND NEW RUNCORE 64SSD ZIF I was stunned to see my new SSD drive reading about 111 UP from 20 on the old 80G standard 4200rpm drive, before on the Xbench drive performance test.

Initially it screamed, but like all SSD's slowed over time. Reading here that the new FW 1916 would fix things, I wrote to RUNCORE CHINA, giving them my SSD information, serial number and version off the drive.

They were kind enough to prepare an ISO file that they emailed me. Using DiskUtility I burned that to a boot CD and fired it up on the external CD Drive.

In 30 seconds it was finished, and I was updated to FW 1916

Over time, that slowed down to low 80's.

AFTER flashing the new FW 1916, and letting the machine idle for a few hours, I consistently was getting readings of 109-115, as good as the drive produced the day it was installed. I've had it running with the new FW for about ten days now, with no noticeable testable slowing.

So, if you want to FIX all your issues with drive slowdowns, contact RUNCORE china { email in on their site } tell them what drive, model, version, and machine you have, and request they send you a custom made ISO file.

I'm a 100% HAPPY CAMPER with RUNCORE, and I'm pleased to recommend them highly, and it is like having a new revision C, with the regular non-SSD drive, no, maybe faster.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE SEEN FOR A WEEK NOW, POST INSTALL of FW1916

f3c1eb.jpg

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
- I see that the Pro IV has an Indilinx controller - yet you're still needing to update the firmware?
Yes. Mine shipped with 1819 firmware and I needed to update it to 1916.

- Does that mean that performance is degrading over time?
With 1819 firmware: Sort of. It degraded about 40% after a couple of weeks and stayed there.
With 1916 firmware: No degradation and it brought the performance back.

- Are there firmware update tools for the mac? Or do you need Windows?
No Mac tools. I made a DOS boot CD to flash the firmware.

- Do you think the users that are having support issues are isolated occurrences?
Pros: The SSD drive itself is great and lives up to the claims. No suspend/sleep issues with my MacBook Air rev. A.
Cons:The enclosure used during installation is exceptionally cheap and low quality. The instructions (not for Macs) and included tools are embarrassingly bad considering it's a MacBook Air kit.

jimcord

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Macbook Air Rev. B

I have one the the Air's running the Runcore Pro IV 128GB. It was a easy install and makes the machine fast as all hell. I routinely pull in speed scores of 137. It is faster than the Rev c's with Apple SSD.It will outrun in xbench scores and traditional HD Macbook Pro. I realize that the number does not respresent the real world, just a comment on the read/write speed. One thing I will say is that doing a time machine backup or similar will not show the true speed of the SSD, as a matter of fact you will be disappointed and confused. Do a clean install of the OS and then merge your apps and data and the speed will be amazing. I have not had to do any firmware upgrades nor have a seen any speed degradation. Was well worth the cost and I use the old SSD as a external drive.

Runcore

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2009
FYI to anyone interested in getting one of these drives, due to the Chinese new year celebration MydigitalDiscount.com has only 15pcs 64GB and 50pcs 128GB MBA Rev A SSD on the way to last them until the 5th of March so if you want one anytime soon you better get on the line with them very soon.

Matt Dawson
Runcore

chrisjburgess

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
I too would be interested in this or at least the .exe file I have to use for the rev b/c 128gb runcore... I can't work out from their pdf instructions which one it should be..

Thanks,
C

chrisjburgess

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
@Louden - Thanks for the reply, I have the firmware rar file but there are several different firmware executables nested in directories within. I'm just not sure which one to use and the instructions on the runcore site don't make it obvious either

any idea which filename for the 128gb runcore for macbook rev b/c?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.