Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I've been an Apple fan way before Macs could natively run Windows. I'm sorry that I'm not as open as all of you.

Yes, I avoided the 360 because it's Microsoft product.

I also haven't given Budism a chance or crack cocaine and I haven't tried those either.

I just don't like Microsoft as a company and that's my stance.

Why is that so hard to understand. Also, about the Wii.. It seems to be geared for the younger croud with the way it's designed, the games, the low red grapics and it's too cartoony for me. I wanted something powerful that will last a long time. I think the PS3 will come out on top again.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Why is that so hard to understand. Also, about the Wii.. It seems to be geared for the younger croud with the way it's designed, the games, the low red grapics and it's too cartoony for me. I wanted something powerful that will last a long time. I think the PS3 will come out on top again.

Wind Waker, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, every Mario Kart, etc...

All low res and cartoony, but some of the most fun games ever made. Ratchet and Clank is a fairly cartoonish game but its the most fun series ever, imo. I've always loved R&C.

Im guessing you've never played anything cel-shaded then? Sly Cooper, Paper Mario, Valkyria Chronicles, Viewtiful Joe... All of which are cartoonish (some more than others of course), so they must not be fun, right?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that games are fun no matter how pretty they are or what age group they are aimed toward. Im playing God of War 3 and pokemon HG right now and both are fun as crap despite one being rated M for blood, sex, violence, and everything else while the other is rated E and is generally enjoyed by kids during recess. Fun is fun.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Either I don't know what to look for, or am just blind, but I don't really notice this. The multi-platform games I have played for the PS3 work just fine for me.

I bought my PS3 for a reason you don't list - at the time, it was more cost effective to buy the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, since (at the time) it was the best one out there.

Since then, there have been three VERY good exclusive titles (Uncharted 2, MGS4, and LBP) and I haven't regretted it at all, but you may want to wait for somebody who has owned both to comment.

Don't forget about the build quality differences!

i have noticed frame-rate issues - buy Call of Duty 5: Word at War, get the Der Riese Zombie map... have 2 of you on Split-screen then both get the PPSH and upgrade it... hit about round 15+ and both pull the trigger and hold it... watch the pretty colours in slow-mo and the awesome sound of it frame jumping ;)

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I've been an Apple fan way before Macs could natively run Windows. I'm sorry that I'm not as open as all of you.

I also haven't given Budism a chance or crack cocaine and I haven't tried those either.

Why is that so hard to understand.
Your stance isn't hard to understand. It's just hard to agree with. I'd never used a PlayStation before I bought my PS3, but I gave Sony a chance.

bcrguy

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
Your stance isn't hard to understand. It's just hard to agree with. I'd never used a PlayStation before I bought my PS3, but I gave Sony a chance.

i dont find it hard to agree with.. but i have been a playstation guy since i was 9 (19 now).. i have had a lot of friends who love their xbox's but they have also had lots of issues with them.. now most of my friends have ps3's but no ones has issues...

and iv given Microsoft many chances with the xbox but i don't like it (yes i know personal preference) but i dont like the way the controller feels (yes i know it comes with regular play) or how the system software it set up.. i find ps3 to be very easy to navigate as well as very comfortable controller

i say xbox meaning both the original and the 360..
currently i do not own a ps3 but i do own a ps1 ps2 and psp..

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Wind Waker, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, every Mario Kart, etc...

All low res and cartoony, but some of the most fun games ever made. Ratchet and Clank is a fairly cartoonish game but its the most fun series ever, imo. I've always loved R&C.

Im guessing you've never played anything cel-shaded then? Sly Cooper, Paper Mario, Valkyria Chronicles, Viewtiful Joe... All of which are cartoonish (some more than others of course), so they must not be fun, right?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that games are fun no matter how pretty they are or what age group they are aimed toward. Im playing God of War 3 and pokemon HG right now and both are fun as crap despite one being rated M for blood, sex, violence, and everything else while the other is rated E and is generally enjoyed by kids during recess. Fun is fun.

I was not in the market for those types of games and I never said that people can't have fun with the Wii. I'm not into the cartoony games and the Wii seems to be geared toward that. Also, it's not next-gen hardware. It's has some pretty horrid graphics abilities.

When you look at Wii titles, it looks like a family platform. It's a fisher price toy… I wanted a hardcore gaming console.

Yeah, I don't care for the Wii… it's not my type of system.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
My brother and I were talking about how Every NPD figures come out the Wii and DS are 1&2 and its pretty astounding, cause considering especailly with the DS 90 percent of the games are shovelware. I think Since after they Made Nintendo 64 they pretty much think that Were Nintendo and since that we can have these developers develop cheap crap games and since its a "Nintendo" game people will go out and buy it. I think Nintendo is just basicly in it for the money now cause if they were in for selling games the Game Cube wouldn't have flop and the Wii would have next gen hardware.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
It's has some pretty horrid graphics abilities.
Say what you will about "teh graffix", but I can tell you, personally, I haven't had as much fun with any game in the last 10 or 15 years as I do when playing Super Mario Galaxy. And before that, it was playing Super Mario 64, which even now, 15 years later, still beats the pants off just about every game out there in terms of fun-factor. And hell, one of my other favorite games in recent years is Geometry Wars 2 on 360. That game is just a flat 2D plane with little shapes flying around on screen; hardly something that is pushing the bounds of modern gaming visuals. But it doesn't matter what it looks like when the controller is in my hand. The game is fun, as a GAME should be.

Just like I was discussing earlier about how specs don't guarantee a great console, amazing graphics don't automatically mean a game is fun. It sounds like you are more interested in the specs and perception of a system, rather than the games and fun that can be had with it. Which is fine, that is your prerogative. But, by shunning some systems (and brands) without giving them a real chance, you are missing out on some great experiences.
My brother and I were talking about how Every NPD figures come out the Wii and DS are 1&2 and its pretty astounding, cause considering especailly with the DS 90 percent of the games are shovelware. I think Since after they Made Nintendo 64 they pretty much think that Were Nintendo and since that we can have these developers develop cheap crap games and since its a "Nintendo" game people will go out and buy it. I think Nintendo is just basicly in it for the money now cause if they were in for selling games the Game Cube wouldn't have flop and the Wii would have next gen hardware.
The thing that Nintendo does distinctly different than every other console maker is they design the hardware for THEIR OWN games, and then let other developers in. If you look at every Nintendo console since, well, forever, the top titles will always be the usual names; Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. If you look at those same NPD lists every month, where the DS and Wii are dominating, you will also see those same familiar Nintendo names appear in the list of top game titles. That isn't by accident.

Just as I was saying to Spaz above, the main thing that Nintendo holds very dear to their development is fun. People buy those games because they know that, while it might not be the most flashy game out there, Nintendo KNOWS fun. While they have had their moments of "high end" console graphics, that has never been a strong suit for them. They might not be the best looking at the time, but when I think back over the last 25 years or so, the number of Nintendo games that I thoroughly enjoyed playing outnumbers all other consoles combined, and that is including Sega.

A crappy game with amazing visuals is still a crappy game, but a fun game with crappy visuals is still fun.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Say what you will about "teh graffix", but I can tell you, personally, I haven't had as much fun with any game in the last 10 or 15 years as I do when playing Super Mario Galaxy. And before that, it was playing Super Mario 64, which even now, 15 years later, still beats the pants off just about every game out there in terms of fun-factor. And hell, one of my other favorite games in recent years is Geometry Wars 2 on 360. That game is just a flat 2D plane with little shapes flying around on screen; hardly something that is pushing the bounds of modern gaming visuals. But it doesn't matter what it looks like when the controller is in my hand. The game is fun, as a GAME should be.

Just like I was discussing earlier about how specs don't guarantee a great console, amazing graphics don't automatically mean a game is fun. It sounds like you are more interested in the specs and perception of a system, rather than the games and fun that can be had with it. Which is fine, that is your prerogative. But, by shunning some systems (and brands) without giving them a real chance, you are missing out on some great experiences.

The thing that Nintendo does distinctly different than every other console maker is they design the hardware for THEIR OWN games, and then let other developers in. If you look at every Nintendo console since, well, forever, the top titles will always be the usual names; Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. If you look at those same NPD lists every month, where the DS and Wii are dominating, you will also see those same familiar Nintendo names appear in the list of top game titles. That isn't by accident.

Just as I was saying to Spaz above, the main thing that Nintendo holds very dear to their development is fun. People buy those games because they know that, while it might not be the most flashy game out there, Nintendo KNOWS fun. While they have had their moments of "high end" console graphics, that has never been a strong suit for them. They might not be the best looking at the time, but when I think back over the last 25 years or so, the number of Nintendo games that I thoroughly enjoyed playing outnumbers all other consoles combined, and that is including Sega.

A crappy game with amazing visuals is still a crappy game, but a fun game with crappy visuals is still fun.

I didn't say that crappy graphics couldn't be "fun". I didn't want that type of system. If I wanted "fun" 2D sidescroller games, I'd pick up a cheap NES.

Fact is… I have loads of fun with High Definition games and it's what I prefer.

I get it… you enjoy Nintendo games… I do not. Too fisher-pricy for me. I'm not a Nintendo fan. I liked the original Mario games, but I've grown out of those. I'm into high def graphics and more adult-oriented games.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I'll be going for the iPad. However if I were to consider a console as such, I'd probably go for the xbox 360, I still prefer computer gaming over console gaming in a way though.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I did have a 360 about 2 years ago but it started to produce black smoke out the back whist I was playing it. Then gave me 4 red light's and Microsoft wouldn’t replace it unless I parted ways with £100 cash :eek: so I was like ok then ill get a ps3 and use my 360 as a door stop ;).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Why is that so hard to understand.

I adore the way you twist things in your head. You are so closed minded that you act like it us who have a problem because we are not.

You still fail to rationalize and miss the point of any argument you are given. You haven't looked into Buddhism, well that's fair enough. But your also not coming on here and posting/saying 'All buddhist's are bad guys', are you ? If you were... that's where any issue with you not being or having no knowledge of their faith would be a problem.

Not trying a drug is a different thing entirely and an absolutely juvenile thing to say and again your the one having difficulty understanding the reason why - not us.

You arguments are flawed, based on prejudice and little ignorance, we understand that's how you feel, we fail to agree with that positioning.

But what is the biggest joke about all your posts is how you arrogantly ask 'I fail to see why you can't all understand that?'... As if it is our lack of understanding that is in question, when in reality the only one lacking understanding, knowledge and an ability to look at a wider perspective is you.

For all your posturing, your arguments continue to be based on fallacious statements and illogical reasoning. You arbitrarily throw in the odd flippant statement which has no relevance to the subject, but acts like a decoy diverting the issue at hand with irrelevant waffle.

This is a discussion forum, we all understand you have an opinion. We do not have to all agree. However you can not discuss with anyone, anything - unless they are willing to see things from others perspective or look at their stance and see if it stands reasoning. You can not do that, and therefore no one here is arguing with you - simply because you have made it utterly pointless and redundant doing so due to your attitude.

i dont find it hard to agree with..

and iv given Microsoft many chances with the xbox but i don't like it...

This is why you have a preference rather than a flawed idealogical position. Please read my post earlier and the difference will become more apparent.

A preference is based on usage. A knowledge of the subject. A rational experience of a product normally first hand.

To prefer somthing you must first 'know' somthing about what you are prefering too.

Fanboys do not do this. They base decisions on arbiturary things such as the brand labeling rather than an actual first hand knowledge or experience of the goods, product or subject in hand.

They think 'blind' brand loyalty is normal, and will often use missinformation and illogical positioning (despite realising hypocracy) to backup their stance on the subject. They will always fail to listen to reason and will often become aggressive.

In this case...

TheSpaz refuses to give the 360 a chance unlike you who owned one. He makes decisions not based of first hand usage and therefore it is not a preference. He uses missinformation to say how one is better than the other (no hdmi etc..) and he struggles to see how anyone else can not think like he does (assumes every mac owner hates Microsft) and is unable to comprehend an other perspective over his own and flippantly dismisses the notion of doing so. He may have remained civil and his tone less aggressive than others who do the same and yet the underlying part is the same.
The very definition of a fanboy.

what about a bluray RIPPER. hehehe. ps3 can do that ;)

With the prospect of the new software update disabling this by getting away with Linux it seems Sony want to close down on those few users doing this.

New PlayStation 3 Update Removes Linux Support
Firmware disables "Install Other OS" system feature available in all pre-slim models.
by Jim Reilly
March 28, 2010 - Sony plans to release a new Playstation 3 firmware update worldwide this week in hopes of combating potential software piracy.

System update v3.21 will disable the console's "Install Other OS" feature, which allowed users to install the Linux operating system. The feature is currently only available in PlayStation 3 models released prior to the "slim" redesign that launched in September 2009. The update will go live on April 1.

SCEA's corporate communications director Patrick Seybold notes on the PlayStation Blog the feature is being removed due to "security concerns."

"In addition, disabling the "Other OS" feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system," Seybold wrote.

Those who use Linux can choose not to upgrade, however, Sony lists several features that will no longer be available:
* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat

* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later

* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)

* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later
"For those PS3 users who are currently using the "Other OS" feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the "Other OS," as they will not be able to access that data following the update," Seybold added.

IGN has contacted Sony for additional details. We'll keep you updated if we hear more.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Oh my word.
90% of any games on any system are shovelware. It's been that way since the NES/Master System/Commodore. How many games for your console of choice do you own? And then what percentage of the entire consoles library do you own?
Nintendo develops "cheap crap games", really? These are the guys that brought us one of the highest rated games of this generation and who brought Brawl - one of the most content packed fighting games of all time. Mario Kart comes with 32 tracks, even the DS version has that many. Compare that to something that Wipeout. F-Zero GX had 32 (IIRC) characters, a ship building mode, god knows how many tracks (38, again IIRC). Twilight Princess and Galaxy were epicly scaled games with very high production values... they just weren't in HD.

I don't get how anyone can make such claims against Nintendo and not compare them to hijinks from other manufacturers. And what only "in it for the money now"? I hate to break it to you but they all are yet they all release good, well designed, high quality games.

What about Activision charging $15 for 4 maps for MW2, Media Molecule charging a few £ for what amounts to as new textures for LBP, Microsoft charging a few £ for virtual clothes for a virtual avatar?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
So in the end, if spending 15 seconds swapping a DVD saves me $400 over the cost of a BluRay disc that I didn't want in the first place.. so be it. Sony (et al) won the HD disc war with a (IMO) shady business practice. I wonder what would have happened if Microsoft had done the same in the 360. Frankly, that kind of business practice is right up their alley.

Other than the RRoD issues on the 360, I'm completely happy playing it on my Sony TV and have no reason to switch or purchase a PS3 anytime soon.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
That's a shame. You are missing out on some great titles.

Out of curiosity, do the "PixelJunk" games on the PSN meet your standards?

I do not know what PixelJunk is.

I adore the way you twist things in your head...

*snipped the huge post*

Listen, I'm not going to try your stupid XBox. It wasn't even in question when I was shopping for a gaming console. I do not want one and I don't wanna give one a chance.

- I don't like the company that makes it
- I don't like the controllers
- I don't like the user interface
- I heard that they break easily (can't confirm this)
- I've always been a Sony fan
- I've always owned PlayStation
- I've never been a Nintendo fan (too bad too because I'm missing out on some great titles :rolleyes:)
- I'm a person who has some brand loyalty and I'm sure Sony doesn't mind
- I've always been an Apple fan without question. I've never thought (Hey, I wanna buy a PC and see if I like it).
- I already felt horrible about installing Windows on my Mac Pro, but at least it was on a separate drive and I could choose not to boot into it.
- Windows 7 isn't bad. I didn't use the OS much but it seems better than Vista (which was constantly slow).
-Now that I have a dedicated gaming machine that's not made by my least favorite company and now that Steam is coming to the Mac (with Valve games), I'll be able to delete Windows for good.

Yeah, I'm pretty close minded about Microsoft, but I don't care.

I think my fan behavior is the same as people from Boston liking the Red Sox and people from New York liking the Yankees.

I chose a team and I have no intentions of switching.

So in the end, if spending 15 seconds swapping a DVD saves me $400 over the cost of a BluRay disc that I didn't want in the first place.. so be it. Sony (et al) won the HD disc war with a (IMO) shady business practice. I wonder what would have happened if Microsoft had done the same in the 360. Frankly, that kind of business practice is right up their alley

Excuse my potential ignorance, but aren't XBox games the same price as PS3 games? I don't understand where you're getting the $400 savings from.

Also, can you explain the shady business practices that Sony was doing with Blu-ray?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
With the prospect of the new software update disabling this by getting away with Linux it seems Sony want to close down on those few users doing this.
Look at the details...
Update 3-2-1
Released on April 1st
No more linux, alienating all the massive render farms and super computer clusters

I'm guessing its a joke. A bad joke, but a joke nonetheless.

So in the end, if spending 15 seconds swapping a DVD saves me $400 over the cost of a BluRay disc that I didn't want in the first place.

Where the hell are you paying $400 more for a ps3? Even at launch they werent that much more than the 360.
I guess i'd be bitter too if i got ripped off that badly.

Keep in mind too that blu-ray vs dvd isnt just about swapping, just look at FF13. The ps3 version is all uncompressed and gorgeous whereas the 360 version had to have the life compressed out of it just to fit on 3 dvds.

But dont let that sway you, theres no discernible benefit to blu-ray, right?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Don't hold back now - tell us how you really feel! :)

^ LOL He misses the point all the time.

We don't care if he prefer's one system or the other.

It's the illogical thought process and ignorance that he uses to make his decision that we are saying is flawed, not the actual outcome.

But frankly at this given stage I think it's apparent were talking to a brick wall. ;)

Thank god the majority of people on here are not as closed minded and ignorant, otherwise we would have one cr@ppy forum.

Look at the details...
Update 3-2-1
Released on April 1st
No more linux, alienating all the massive render farms and super computer clusters

I'm guessing its a joke. A bad joke, but a joke nonetheless.

possibly.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Where the hell are you paying $400 more for a ps3? Even at launch they werent that much more than the 360.

I seem to remember a $799 price tag on the original PS3, as opposed to the $399 price tag of the 360?

But dont let that sway you, theres no discernible benefit to blu-ray, right?

Not for me. I have no interest in re-purchasing the BluRay versions of all my DVDs. As a site note, I'm less concerned with the visuals of FFXIII and more concerned with the ridiculous story. How I long for the old days of FFVII and being able to build my weapons through experience and plug-ins. I hate grinding for components.

I find it odd that you continue to berate me for my choices and my opinions. :rolleyes:

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
The worst thing about the 360 is all the Dashboard items look like crap in 1080P. The includes the actual main 360 menu, the friend log on popup etc. in game menus look fine, graphics look fine, but every time I see the menu I have to sit back further as it is so crappy, it's like 480P graphics or something. Then I go onto my PS3 and it is so crystal clear.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
^ LOL He misses the point all the time.

We don't care if he prefer's one system or the other.

It's the illogical thought process and ignorance that he uses to make his decision that we are saying is flawed, not the actual outcome.

But frankly at this given stage I think it's apparent were talking to a brick wall. ;)

Thank god the majority of people on here are not as closed minded and ignorant, otherwise we would have one cr@ppy forum.

possibly.

I wasn't going for logic. I was going for "not an xBox". It was an easy decision.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I seem to remember a $799 price tag on the original PS3, as opposed to the $399 price tag of the 360?

Not for me. I have no interest in re-purchasing the BluRay versions of all my DVDs. As a site note, I'm less concerned with the visuals of FFXIII and more concerned with the ridiculous story. How I long for the old days of FFVII and being able to build my weapons through experience and plug-ins. I hate grinding for components.

I find it odd that you continue to berate me for my choices and my opinions. :rolleyes:

Really? If you had a Blu-ray drive in a PS3, you would have to go out and buy the Blu-ray version of all your movies? Wow. What's wrong with having a Blu-ray drive? It's only going to be better than a DVD drive but it also plays DVDs.

Nobody said you have to go out and buy Blu-rays just because you have a Blu-ray drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.