Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I have a Beogram 500 turntable. I purchased appropriate cable to connect to Rolls phono preamp. Apple store sold me iCable to run from preamp to mic input. While turntable running, I clicked record but got no signal. Can someone please tell me specific steps to accomplish my goal of getting old lp music into iTunes??? Thanks very much.

Mark:confused:

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
Thank you for that link. I was wondering how to do that. This helps out tremendously. Now to just get off my duff and get it done. :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a Beogram 500 turntable. I purchased appropriate cable to connect to Rolls phono preamp. Apple store sold me iCable to run from preamp to mic input. While turntable running, I clicked record but got no signal. Can someone please tell me specific steps to accomplish my goal of getting old lp music into iTunes??? Thanks very much.

Mark:confused:

What recording software are you using? Garage Band, I assume?

You need to make a real instrument tack inside GB and assign the line-in jack to the track. Possable your problem has you had the internal mic asigned?

Someone suggested Audicity. That might be simply to use. But GB comes with every Mac.

One more thing: Are you just rying to record or do you want the best audio quality? If the latter look into an extrnal USB interface

Markrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Thanks for the comments. What is a "real instrument tack" and how is it set up? Currently, output rca cables connect the TT to the input of the preamp. The iCable runs from the output jacks to the mic input. Does that sound right? I downloaded Audacity but had no better luck getting a signal. What else should I check? Thanks for the help.

Mark

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks for the comments. What is a "real instrument tack" and how is it set up? Currently, output rca cables connect the TT to the input of the preamp. The iCable runs from the output jacks to the mic input. Does that sound right? I downloaded Audacity but had no better luck getting a signal. What else should I check? Thanks for the help.

Mark

FIrst you need to learn to use the software. Put awaythe turn table and preamp and simply record yo voise usinthe mac's built-in mic. Lean to edit out the parts you don't need ad both ends and save to iTunes and burn discs. Lean to set the levels right and so on. Then connect the turn table.

The cables are good unless you are after a true pro-grade recording. For normal iPod listening the Mic's input jack will be fine.

You have to select an audio input device, Select the built-in microphone. St the gain up untill it picks up some sound. Look for the "audio midi setup" app in the apps folder to make the selections.

In garage band before you can record you must first make a track (the plus button does this.) Gb allows you touse manymics and each go to it's own track. But you have just one setereo souse going to a pair of stereo tracks. So creat just one. from within GB you need to say which mic or juac goes with your new track.

Checkout Apple's web site. There are, under suport, some tutorials and of course the user manual

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.