Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

213523-bonjour_icon.jpg

Apple today released Bonjour Print Services for Windows, offering tools for Apple's automatic service discovery protocol for Windows machines running XP Service Pack 2 or later looking to connect to networked printers or shared printers connected to computers via USB.
Bonjour Print Services for Windows lets you discover and configure Bonjour-enabled printers from your Windows computer using the Bonjour Printer Wizard.

Use Windows Update to make sure you have the latest Service Pack installed for your computer.
Apple notes that the update requires Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, but recommends Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, or Windows 7. The download weighs in at 5.18 MB.

Article Link: Apple Releases Bonjour Print Services for Windows

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I installed this, and it sees my Mac printers, but when I try to install one on my PC, it says "you do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect the selected printer."

I tried running it as administrator, but it still doesn't work.

I have a MBP with 10.6.3, a PC with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, and a Canon ip3500 connected to the MBP that I'm trying to share. I can't get it to work the other way either (printer connected to the PC shared to the Mac).

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So...would this update allow an iPad to connect to a Windows machine hooked up to a printer and print from it?

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Awesome!

This works great! I always have problems with my wireless printer IP address changing on network reboots. This fixes that. Be sure to change your default printer as it installs a duplicate bonjour version.

Also, as far as the Ipad goes, I spoke to Apple sales about it and they told me point blank there would be no built-in printing solution. They did direct me to any of the already existing printing apps in the app store. Oh well. I have to admit to being a little shocked at how many things that would affect people's buying decision have still not been revealed. Printing, how does file sharing work, do ibooks work on your iphone and mac etc? I also have to admit to being a little annoyed that some App makers are expecting me to buy the same version of an app I already own just to have it at native resolution.

Still, guess they aren't having a problem selling them, hell, I bought two 64GB 3G's. I'm hating the the 3G's come out later. Killing me to wait, especially when all my accessories are gonna show up at the door this weekend. :(

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
This is an UPDATE to an existing product. The headline and story imply it is a new product.

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Nope, this is a new product, not the same as the old Bonjour that came with Safari. This is a stand alone app that configures the printer. If you look on the link, you will see that it is version 1.0 .

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Nope, this is a new product, not the same as the old Bonjour that came with Safari. This is a stand alone app that configures the printer. If you look on the link, you will see that it is version 1.0 .

This was available before, but I think it was called something else (maybe just Bonjour for Windows).

LlamaLarry

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
Right, I am not sure what is different between this and the previous "Bonjour for Windows" that I use to allow my Windows machines to print to my Mac shared printers. :confused:

spencercross

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
I installed this, and it sees my Mac printers, but when I try to install one on my PC, it says "you do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect the selected printer."

I tried running it as administrator, but it still doesn't work.

I have a MBP with 10.6.3, a PC with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, and a Canon ip3500 connected to the MBP that I'm trying to share. I can't get it to work the other way either (printer connected to the PC shared to the Mac).

I have the same problem trying to install a printer on my MacBook running XP under Boot Camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.