Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacBidouille provides information regarding upcoming PowerMac G4's:

Google Translation:

- Confirmation that there will be no G5 before 2003.
- the new G4 chips proposed in July will be of the 7460.
- According to APPLE, it are a parmis the only ones to manufacture a ASIC really able to exploit to the maximum the modules of GDR for a maximized flow.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Doesn't come as all that big a surprise, I just hope its performance is at least decent enough. I won't be buying a new machine this year, it looks like. I'm thinking I'll be more excited over finding out what new enclosure design they bring out. That's not a good sign, being more interested in the design and not the hardware......:(

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Can someone translate this correctly? We don't want this thread to be misunderstood like the G5 thread. And why/how do the French know all of this? Not that I don't like the people of France, but shouldn't we know this stiff first hand in the US?

And what the heck is this supposed to mean?

- According to APPLE, it are a parmis the only ones to manufacture a ASIC really able to exploit to the maximum the modules of GDR for a maximized flow.

I just hope that Apple can do alot with the G4, and that mot can make it better too...

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Allright, I'm ignorant again, what is this GDR? The information seems scketchy, so I don't know, but they are usually okay credible and the translations from google, while very very cool and very very usefull, don't all make the best since yet.:)

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
You won't be disappointed in the performance of the next line of G4s. From what I've heard they fix almost all of the problems that the original G4 had.

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
Originally posted by nero007
You won't be disappointed in the performance of the next line of G4s. From what I've heard they fix almost all of the problems that the original G4 had.
Thats good

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Originally posted by nero007

What problems did the G4 have that haven't been ironed out yet?

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by drastik
Allright, I'm ignorant again, what is this GDR? The information seems scketchy, so I don't know, but they are usually okay credible and the translations from google, while very very cool and very very usefull, don't all make the best since yet.:)

Could "GDR" be a French acronym for "DDR"? Just checked and no, it's not...

BUT, oops on the translator software: if you look at the original posting in French, you find that the text there is "DDR." Babelfish made the same mistake. Well, there ya go.

delta.hex

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
Montreal
translation

Originally posted by G4scott
Can someone translate this correctly? We don't want this thread to be misunderstood like the G5 thread. And why/how do the French know all of this? Not that I don't like the people of France, but shouldn't we know this stiff first hand in the US?

And what the heck is this supposed to mean?

It is written in such a bad french that it can be ambiguous... What it means is:

According to APPLE, they are among the few (only?) ones to manufacture an ASIC that can truly take full advantage of the DDR (the original version actually says DDR) modules for a maximized bandwith.

frenchman

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2002
A better translation of the last item (maybe some grammar mistakes but understandable)

According to Apple, they are among the only to manufacture an ASIC really able to take advantage of DDR and maximize the throughput.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, that's about how I understood it. One thing that does bug me is that if apple has only one supplier of these AISCs, they could be seriously hampered if there is any problem with the supply chain. That could lead to apple not being able to meet demand and a subsequent tumble in their stock price

Rene

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2002
The Netherlands
I do not think that DDR is translated wrong. DDR is an abbreviation for Deutsche Demokratische Republik, which would translate to... German Democratic Republic... :eek:

Why the translation software would think that french people even consider using the original foreign abbreviations remains a mistery though :D

gazelips

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2002
A possiblity: DDR can stand for Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR), which in English means German Democratic Republic (GDR). If the French use DDR for Germany, it would translate to GDR when you go from French to English.

Just my best guess.

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
French

1) There's a good reason for some rumors (like the one about Rayzor) being afloat in Europe rather than in the US. You would say: "Hey, we're closer to the HQ !" And, yeah, that may be exactly the reason why... ;-)
2) pwfletcher : "Those damn french ... it is like they have a different word for EVERYTHING!"

Ehem, that's supposed to be funny? Those damn English speaking have a different word for everything too ! (Perspective).

3) Don't you Americans learn foreign languages (except for English of course;-)) ?

mueng

macrumors member
May 20, 2002
Michigan
What do you call....

My French professor told us this joke....

What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages....

Trilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages....

Bilingual

What do you call someone who speaks only 1 language....

French!!!

hahahahah...yeah anyways.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by mueng
My French professor told us this joke....

...which I don't get and should be removed.

Hey, dekator, don't make me swear in Spanish! :eek:

The Apollo 7460 G4 chip by Motorola is I think a low power consuming chip and, IMO, has potential to go up to 1200 or 1400MHz.

Can we get back on topic a little? Cool. :cool:

Rene

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2002
The Netherlands
Hey King Cobra, you're funny, hahahaha....

The Apollo 7460 G4 chip by Motorola is I think a low power consuming chip and, IMO, has potential to go up to 1200 or 1400MHz

IMO any G4 should go up to 2 Ghz, but I don't know for sure if it can and neither do you. If you don't know what chip it is (I think a low power one) how can you estimate what its potential is?!

And about that joke... :D :D :D Great!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by Rene
Hey King Cobra, you're funny, hahahaha....

IMO any G4 should go up to 2 Ghz, but I don't know for sure if it can and neither do you. If you don't know what chip it is (I think a low power one) how can you estimate what its potential is?!

Hey, Rene, you're a newbie. And you're telling me what you think in response to opinions. This is classic!

But, to be more accurate, this is a rumors site. And I thought I read somewhere that the G4 or some version of it can only go to 1.5GHz, maybe a bit faster. I am not too sure, but I thought I heard that somewhere. And I also thought I read that the G5 can only go to 4 or 5GHz.

Rene, if you plan to not respect thoughts and/or personal opinions, remember this statement Alpha posted earlier (something like this):

Opinions are like ashholes. Everyone has one, but you don't have to like somebody else's. :cool:

Rene

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by King Cobra

Hey, Rene, you're a newbie. And you're telling me what you think in response to opinions. This is classic!

Rene, if you plan to not respect thoughts and/or personal opinions, remember this statement Alpha posted earlier (something like this):

Opinions are like ashholes. Everyone has one, but you don't have to like somebody else's. :cool:

I'm sorry if I offended you, I just had a long day at work...

Still think its funny, though.

Now I will go back into my tiny little newbie's corner and keep my mouth shut. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.